Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Todd Jones traded

Re: Todd Jones traded

The trade? A little good, but also bad.

The little good: Like has been said, at least we got something of some use for Jones. We need MI help and we got it. Not the uber prospect I was hoping for, but at least it was addressed. After seeing names like Huber and Kazmir thrown around today, I'm still disappointed, but there's still some time left.

The Bad: The one thing I will say is that I think this deal hints that Danny Graves WILL NOT be traded at the deadline, which is why I'm not totally excited about this deal overall. If someone doesn't trade for Graves now, I don't see how we expect to move him at any time. AND if we don't move Danny Graves, that means that we'd have to move Casey or Griffey to come up with cash for our "stud" starter this offseason. You can pretty much bank on the fact that Griffey is going nowhere, which leaves Casey. Out of the 3, Casey would have been my last choice to move.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 07-31-2004 at 07:20 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hadn't though about that

No Graves trade =
    Go Gators!

Maybe this trade was to get Hancock as a stopgap starter because Reds expect to have openings in rotation. May indicate that Wilson/Lidle will be traded today leaving spots open in rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Let's not forget Jone's July.

Code:
    IP 	H 	R	BB 	SO 	BAA 
    10 	13 	6	6 	5 	.317

Can we have this statline somehow superimposed on every post. That way when some one wants to complain about the white flag going up they can see that pretty much by getting rid of Todd Jones we may actually be better off?

Just a thought.

In all seriousness, best of luck to TJ, nice of him to come in and help the team.

WHY?

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS TRADE?

We needed pitching. Both starting and bullpen. IMO, Bullpen more desperate. So why not just trade away our best releif pitcher. For who? How about a guy with a 9.00 ERA and another Ray Oldmedo. Wow, we now have Juan Castro, Ray Olmedo and this clown--all .250 hitters with speed. Those better not be the shortstops of the future. Maybe Barry should stick around for a few more years.

I really hope this new pitcher gets clobbered today.

Quote Originally Posted by djsauter
    WHY?

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS TRADE?

We needed pitching. Both starting and bullpen. IMO, Bullpen more desperate. So why not just trade away our best releif pitcher. For who? How about a guy with a 9.00 ERA and another Ray Oldmedo. Wow, we now have Juan Castro, Ray Olmedo and this clown--all .250 hitters with speed. Those better not be the shortstops of the future. Maybe Barry should stick around for a few more years.

Originally Posted by westofyou
    Let's not forget Jone's July.

Code:

IP H R BB SO BAA
    10 13 6 6 5 .317

Quote Originally Posted by jon20some
    YEAH!!! Let's put up the damn White Flag!!! Hell yes, Uncle Carl and Dumbass Dan, let's tell the fans its over and not to come and then blame them when attendance falls in August and September and say the fans are the reason the Reds can't compete.. These are marginal prospects for the Phils, sounds like a can't miss trade to me.. Damn, when did the Reds become the laughing stock of MLB, man, this is insane!! The sad thing about this trade is it obviously wasn't about $$$, which means Dano is more of a freakin idiot than originally thought..
    The way i see this years Reds team is that there are 2 guys that are just awesome in the clubhouse,1 is Sean Cassey and 2 is Todd Jones.. Some of the stats guys are all up on this trade and all for it.. BUT, PEOPLE more needs to be taken into account than just stats.. Sure, Jose Guillien was worth less than his stats, and Todd Jones is worth more than his, etc...

But this trade mades no sense for the Reds, it does NOTHING!!!

Good Luck Todd!!! I don't like the Phils, but I like what the Phily Papers said about the Pathers last January, so good luck!!! Hope you win a RING!
    Why is Todd Jones "Worth more than his stats"?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

O'Brien turns a guy released in ST into a 26-year old who may turn into a 5th-starter or long reliever and a SS prospect who will probably end up a useful bench player. I got no problem with that.

With Olmedo, Lopez, Machado, Tiburcio and Janish, I think our SS depth is very solid right now. Probably no all-stars in the group, but enough depth that one should emerge as a decent starter. May be a trading chip in there, too.

Wouldn't mind seeing O'Brien concentrate on getting pitching, if more trades are to come.

I think some of us are working from a false assumption. I'm not sure packaging Todd Jones along with anyone else would bring ANY upgrade in a return pachage. In fact, I wonder if including Joners in a deal might not DECREASE what you get in return. IMO, the market for Todd Jones was extremely limited - to perhaps one or two teams. I'd say this was the best deal anyone offered for Jones.

Look at it this way. OB got two prospects. While you'd rather have QUALITY prospects, the next best thing is QUANTITY. You never know how a player might respond when he changes organizations. And when you look at the career minor leaguers that fill the Reds' farm system, here are a two guys who have a chance to excel.

You never know. Gullet and Hume may have watched video of Hancock pitch and may see a minor flaw that could be corrected, that might drop his WHIP a bit. And Machado could be worked with in the batter's box and add some hits to those walks. (Can you imagine how many pitches that Jiminez and Machado would see while in the same lineup?)

By the way, for those folks who think we just just got another Castro/Olmedo clone, keep in mind two things: 1) Machado knows how to take a walk. A walk is not in Castro or Olmedo's vocabulary. 2) Castro is now a .250ish BA hitter. If Machado becomes a .250ish hitter and adds his walks, he would have a respectable OBP - much higher than either Castro or Olmedo. Machado has consistently put up an OBP of over .340 the last four years of his time in the minor leagues. Juan Castro has a lifetime OBP of .270. Machado is NOT Castro or Olmedo.

With all the SS's OB is collecting, you may see a couple included in trades - especially if Wilson goes to Texas in a deal for Kinsler and a pitching prospect.

As I said, I'll grade this trade a B-.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 07-31-2004 at 08:27 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Reds and 26.2's

Any trade this team makes is gonna be liked by half of this forum and trashed by the other half.....

ANY trade...

At least the FO is out there TRYING to find "propects" to replace Barry. Which means they know they need to. They could have traded Jones for 2 "5-tool" 20 year old outfielders, you know.

The minor leaguer the Reds are sending is OF Brad Correll, fyi.
    Sigh, another one of my favorite Dragons (the last one) is gone. Good luck, Brad - hope you are successful as some of the others who have left.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

just for comparison, what's been said about Machado reminds me a lot of Adam Everett when I first saw him with the Zephyrs in 2000. He looked scrawny, clueless at the plate, couldn't get the ball out of the infield and struck out a lot. He worked hard at it, and really improved.

I can't find his minor league stats to verify, but that is what I remember.

Reds and 26.2's

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Sigh, another one of my favorite Dragons (the last one) is gone. Good luck, Brad - hope you are successful as some of the others who have left.
    Correll attended Ashbrook High School, graduating in 1999...right here in Gastonia NC. We are all watching his progress with pride down here. I was looking for the day I'd see him at the GABP.

Good luck as you progress up the chain, Brad.

Quote Originally Posted by djsauter

That's the spirit!

Now quit messing around on the internet - you've got an important job. Get out there and root against those Reds today.
    Last edited by OldXOhio; 07-31-2004 at 09:52 AM.

If the Reds were actually in the pennant race (or wild card hunt as per O'Brien), wouldn't they be trying to obtain, not give up, two or more Todd Jones-like relievers to bolster their sick bullpen? So, it's an admission by O'Brien to reality.

I'm all for obtaining anything for arb-eligible or free agents-to-be, but considering that many of any team's (including the Phillies) top prospects eventually fail in the majors, then I would have held out longer for better -- Jones solo or in a package.

And it is insignificant how the Reds originally got Jones and/or who had released him.

Turn Off Ads?