Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Todd Jones traded

Re: Todd Jones traded

Just before the season started, DanO signed Todd Jones and then traded Reitsma. I'm thinking that DanO made a comment to the effect that trading Reitsma was easier by knowing that Todd Jones was there to plug that gap.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 07-31-2004 at 10:34 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Guys like Jones are a dime a dozen and they rarely repeat their performance year to year. Thats just the facts of life for mediocre bullpen arms like Jones and Heredia.

What this does do is give us an option to send a SS back to TEX in a Wilson deal. Wilson, Lidle and Olmedo for Kinsler, Kozloswki and Danks or some combination of B prospects?

I put us on the negative side of this deal. We need more quality pitching, not less. So here we get nothing that we need but give up one of our better pitchers. Must have been some financial gain because it sure isn't a building block for the team.

BA's analysis is now available. They seem a bit iffy on whether Machado is going to hit for a decent enough average at the ML level.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0730jones.html

Phillies get another bullpen reinforcement in Jones
    By John Manuel
    July 30, 2004

Looking to bolster their bullpen, the Phillies didn't stop after acquiring Felix Rodriguez from the Giants. They added another veteran on Friday, getting Todd Jones and high Class A outfielder Brad Correll from the Reds for righthander Josh Hancock and Triple-A shortstop Anderson Machado.

An all-star in 2000 who got knocked around while toiling for four clubs over the next three seasons, Jones has had a revival in 2004. The 36-year-old righthander is tied for the major league lead with eight relief wins and ranks third in the National League with 22 holds. His fastball is registering in the low 90s, and he complements it with a splitter. He was 8-2, 3.79 with one save in 51 appearances for the Reds, with a 37-25 strikeout-walk ratio, .243 opponent average and four homers allowed in 57 innings. Jones has 185 career saves to go with a 47-44, 4.04 mark in 717 games.

Hancock, 26, had just been called up by the Phillies three days before the trade. The Red Sox drafted him in the fifth round out of Auburn in 1998, and traded him to Philadelphia for Jeremy Giambi in December 2002. Hancock has good command of three pitches: a fastball that can reach the low 90s, a curveball and a changeup. He has gone 0-2, 6.05 in nine big league games (three starts) over the last three seasons. He had spent most of 2004 at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barres, where he had gong 8-7, 4.01 in 18 starts. He had a 65-21 K-BB ratio in 108 innings, with opponents batting .263 with 10 homers. He should get a chance to crack the always-changing Reds rotation, and he profiles as a back-of-the-rotation starter.

Machado, 23, signed out of Venezuela in 1998. He has been one of the Phillies' better infield prospects since 2000, when he was one of the high Class A Florida State League's youngest everyday players and finished the season in the Double-A Eastern League playoffs. But he just hasn't hit enough, even with good patience that resulted in a minor league-high 108 walks in 2003. He missed all of April this year following an appendectomy in March, and has batted just .229/.339/.365 with six homers, 26 RBIs and 11 steals (in 17 attempts) in 77 games at Scranton. His career numbers aren't any better: .230/.337/.339 with 33 homers, 241 RBIs and 172 steals in 698 contests. There are no problems with his defense, as Machado stands out with his smooth actions, plus arm and excellent range and instincts.

Correll, 23, was drafted in the 29th round in 2002 out of Limestone (S.C.), an NCAA Division II program. He has provided decent production in the lower minors but doesn't project to offer enough to play in the big leagues as a left fielder. He signed as a third baseman before moving to the outfield in 2003. He was hitting .285/.357/.407 with nine homers and 63 RBIS in 101 games at high Class A Potomac. For his career, he has batted .278/.343/.425 with 29 homers, 187 RBIs and 25 steals in 300 games.

Quote Originally Posted by 37red
    I put us on the negative side of this deal. We need more quality pitching, not less. So here we get nothing that we need but give up one of our better pitchers. Must have been some financial gain because it sure isn't a building block for the team.

The trade MIGHT hurt short term, but that's only if you think the Reds are contending the rest of the year. Something I highly doubt.

Getting two guys, even these two guys, for Jones is a great flip.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest

Mercado is intriguing. The kid has some wheels. Looks like he has been pushing some singles into doubles too. I'm a little worried about all those errors, but if some of these posters have seen him and think he is a Castro type fielder, then this isn't a bad move at all.

O'Brien did address two areas of need, and didn't trade for a 5 tooler outfielder.

Machado is like Rey Ordonez in that he makes a lot of errors because he has great range and gets to a lot of balls that the average shortstop wouldn't get to. He also has a tendency to make the difficult play while botching the easy one.

As for his hitting, he does have great patience, but it is tough to teach a guy how to hit. Reggie Taylor is walking proof of that. I guess his hitting kind of sounds like Rey Ordonez, too, only with more patience.

His career numbers aren't any better: .230/.337/.339 with 33 homers, 241 RBIs and 172 steals in 698 contests.
    Based on his description as a weak hitter, I expected him to have hit maybe 10 or fewer home runs.

How many AB's has he had in those 698 games? Sorry it I missed that having been posted already.

Getting two guys, even these two guys, for Jones is a great flip.
    Hi My name is Todd Jones, you can call me Pyrite.

I'm 36 years old and from 2001-2003 I pitched in 207 games, 219 innings.

In those innings I gave up 264 hits and had an ERA of 5.30.

In the spring of 2004 I was cut by the Clippers of baseball the Devil Rays.

4 months later I have an ERA just under 4, however in July I started to get tired.... you see the team I'm on has some pretty bad starting pitching... but some offense, I mean how else does a setup guy go 8-2? For my career I average 68 innings pitched a season and currently I have 57 innings under my belt. Did I mention I was 36? well if I didn't let me tell you that I like whip cream pies, big hairy mustaches and streaking in the clubhouse and am looking for a team that won't destroy what I have left in my right arm.

How anyone can expect DO to "hold out??" for something more for Todd Jones? is really just perplexing and proof that no matter what sometimes people just have to complain about something.

I mean an avg. middle reliever who.....as WOY...just stated is basically on his last legs and is a dime a dozen type player (just like the INF the Reds got according to some here ) is not going to get you anything better than this.

You were expecting Larry Andersen for Jeff Bagwell maybe??

That trade comes along once every what 10/20 years. The Red Sox made an error in trading Bagwell but HOU was lucky also in that Bagwell was not even cloe to what he came to show (weightlifting and who knows what else sure helped him )

This is the best you can hope to expect for Jones.

I expect they can get even more for Wilson.

About the same for Lidle.

Graves?? This org. would be lucky if anyone took that sick contract.

great! what an awesome trade!!! we trade probably our only middle-releiver with any value for a 26 year old hack of a pitcher, and a light-hitting, slick feilding shortstop. i just can't control my excitement; excuse me while i go clean my pants.

what a stupid trade! we get absolutly NOTHING for one of our only players with any value. i know nothing about the pitcher, but i'm sure he stinks. and don't we already have this shortstop? isn't his name castro, er lopez er olmedo?

wow, DorkO, thanks for nothing! i hope your stay in cincinnati is a short one...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Hi My name is Todd Jones, you can call me Pyrite.

I'm 36 years old and from 2001-2003 I pitched in 207 games, 219 innings.

In those innings I gave up 264 hits and had an ERA of 5.30.

In the spring of 2004 I was cut by the Clippers of baseball the Devil Rays.

4 months later I have an ERA just under 4, however in July I started to get tired.... you see the team I'm on has some pretty bad starting pitching... but some offense, I mean how else does a setup guy go 8-2? For my career I average 68 innings pitched a season and currently I have 57 innings under my belt. Did I mention I was 36? well if I didn't let me tell you that I like whip cream pies, big hairy mustaches and streaking in the clubhouse and am looking for a team that won't destroy what I have left in my right arm.
    Perfect!! :MandJ:

Quote Originally Posted by RedsDude
    i know nothing about the pitcher, but i'm sure he stinks.

Your player evaluation skills amaze me!

Redsdude- Todd Jones had any value? Come on, let's get real here. Just be honest and say you know NOTHING about this trade, why get so angry on a situation you are ignorant about? I'm ignorant on the subject also, I haven't seen either player play a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Redsdude- Todd Jones had any value? Come on, let's get real here. Just be honest and say you know NOTHING about this trade, why get so angry on a situation you are ignorant about? I'm ignorant on the subject also, I haven't seen either player play a game.
    i expected jones to be traded in a package with wilson, lidle, graves etc. to get a decent prospect. i know he's a middle releiver, and they don't have much value, but whats the point of trading him when the "prize" you get is a carbon copy of 2-3 other players in your organization?

as far as my player evaluation skills, i've never seen either play, but you can tell a lot from stats and what pro's like the people from BA say. machado has awful stat's at the plate, and the consensus is he's a stud on defense, but won't be a good big-league hitter; sounds pretty familiar, huh? as for the pitcher, i automatically discard any 26 year old "prospect" who has done nothing at the big league level. if he was any good at all, he wouldn't be part of a package to get a middle-releiver.

i guess i just had my hopes up that we could get a real shortstop prospect like kinsler, as opposed to a ray olmedo clone.

i expected jones to be traded in a package with wilson, lidle, graves etc. to get a decent prospect.
    That's funny, I expected to to be rich and retired by the age of 40.

Funny how expectations come out.

Turn Off Ads?