Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Jones traded

Re: Todd Jones traded

I was ready to just all over the Reds for this deal, but in hindsight I think it's a solid deal. In years past the Reds probably don't get anything for an aging setup guy like Jones, but to get a decent pitching prospect and so-so SS prospect is ok. Better to get some young players with potential then nothing for Jones.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A good-glove, no-bat MI and a RH fringe SP with limited potential. Weren't those the two areas in the system where we were sufficiently stocked?

Most Phils fans on their site think this was a good trade for the ......................Phils. They say that the Reds got garbage. Well are you surprised? Why make this trade? Jones could surely be added with Wilson and traded to a Cleveland or Texas to get a real prospect instead of 2 nobodys. Oh well maybe the Wilson deal will be a good one.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Could Hancock = Harang? Might not be that bad of pick up.

I'm guessing that Falls City that Bong and Belisle will get a chance, which isn't bad. They have shown potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Ah, you guys are making me think of popping Mike Tyson's punchout into the old NES and fighting Glass Joe again.

Body Blow! Body Blow! Body Blow!

Knock him out! Knock him out! Knock him out!
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Looking closer at Hancock's major league stats this year:

Looks like his first game was a start and he was mediocre. His second start a disaster against the Braves at Atlanta (lasting only 2 innings giving up 6 runs). He then went to the bullpen and had a 0.00 ERA as a reliever.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Does this mean we are not buyers?

Seriously, did O'Brien really thank other GM's were buying his line? And how does he explain this tomorrow after his public comments? I just hope he doesn't sell this as an upgrade of the ML roster.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

94 mph fastball? I don't know about that, NYRed. His past minor league performance indicates he just doesn't throw that hard. This season, he's K'ed 65 in 107.2 minor league innings. That's after his K/IP declined to roughly 6.50/ game before AAA. To me, that indicates he's stuff-challenged.

Though hardly the worst thing to be, as Cincinnati seems to love them all, that should mean Hancock is merely flotsam in the rotation or a decent, cheap option in middle relief.

Perhaps the Reds get lucky and he performs a la Scott Sullivan for five years or so, but that's as much as I hope for.

All in all, not a horrid deal, but not a steal either.

Considering other deals happening, O'Brien hasn't shaken the earth.

Posted on rotoworld.

Reds acquired RHP Josh Hancock and SS Anderson Machado from the Phillies for RHP Todd Jones and OF Brad Correll.
    Getting anything in return for Jones makes this a good deal for the Reds. Hancock has a chance to have a career as a fifth starter/middle reliever, and he might replace Jose Acevedo in Cincinnati's rotation. Machado will join Triple-A Louisville. Jul. 30 - 11:47 pm et

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed
    Does this mean we are not buyers?

Seriously, did O'Brien really thank other GM's were buying his line? And how does he explain this tomorrow after his public comments? I just hope he doesn't sell this as an upgrade of the ML roster.
    Didn't he say that he was looking for a MAJOR LEAGUE PITCHER? Isn't that exactly what he got? How was he lying?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Neither of these players may even be a RED next year. One or both could be traded again.

You just can't sit through this trade period and not make moves. There still needs to be more.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33
    Posted on rotoworld.

Reds acquired RHP Josh Hancock and SS Anderson Machado from the Phillies for RHP Todd Jones and OF Brad Correll.
    Getting anything in return for Jones makes this a good deal for the Reds. Hancock has a chance to have a career as a fifth starter/middle reliever, and he might replace Jose Acevedo in Cincinnati's rotation. Machado will join Triple-A Louisville. Jul. 30 - 11:47 pm et
    Exactly! These guys were free,...except for the mention of tying in Jones with Wilson/Lidle/Graves/etc. for something better.

How about Wilson for someone's top-4 prospect?

Graves for a top-7 prospect?

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Hasn't M2 been requesting Machado for a couple of years now? That was M2 wasn't it?

Aren't you going to take credit for it now that it's actually come to life?

Turn Off Ads?