Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Todd Jones traded

Re: Todd Jones traded

I wonder if Casey has anything to add about this trade.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks westofyou.

Machado is an extreme secondary average guy. He hit .218 for his career in AA, after a bad 2003. (Was he injured?) But he still had a .345 OBP in two stints in AA. Tons of stolen bases, and modest isolated power (for a MI). He did hit for 39 extra-base hits in AA in 2002, so that is promising.

Hopefully, he turns into Ozzie Smith lite--he certainly fits the profile as a switch hitter. This collection of pitchers could surely use an Ozzie Smith at SS.
    Last edited by D-Man; 07-31-2004 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks WOY. I couldn't find that stuff.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

So you keep Jones to pitch on an under .500 team, have about a 4.00 ERA and will be a FA at years end? Oh yeah, he was put on waivers by the DRAYS!

Or, you trade him for a 23 year old SS who knows how to look at pitches, and can steal bases. And you also get a 26 year old pitcher who could top out as a better version of TVP.

Man, I'm not sure which one I'd pick.
    Last edited by Buckeye33; 07-31-2004 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat02
    A good-glove, no-bat MI and a RH fringe SP with limited potential. Weren't those the two areas in the system where we were sufficiently stocked?
    What exactly did you want for Todd Jones? That's what I'm wondering. Do you think Dan O'Brien looked at all the prospective deals and said "this one makes the least sense for the ballclub" and pulled the trigger? This was the best offer he had on the table so he took it. Todd Jones' 45 innings of close to 4.00 ERA ball he would have pitched the rest of the year won't be missed enough to the point where we should have kept him! I don't understand this way of thinking. If Hancock wins 10 games next year DanO's a genius. If he wins 1 game the next 2 years......we only gave up TODD JONES!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat02
    Who knows? If the kid really does weigh in the 140 range, maybe a couple of pork chops could improve his offensive outlook.

Who are we trading for Pork Chop Pough???
    Anyone remember him?

"So Fla Red"

This board is incredible.

Todd Jones gets traded at almost midnight and we've topped 110 posts in less than 2 hours...

After being much maligned in April, thanks for a nice run in 2004 and getting the club something in return. Hope it works for you in Philly.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by shaunsinger
    Who are we trading for Pork Chop Pough???
    Anyone remember him?
    Is he any relation to Seahawks OL Pork Chop Womack ??

Let's not forget Jone's July.

Code:
    IP 	H 	R	BB 	SO 	BAA 
    10 	13 	6	6 	5 	.317

I don't think this trade was horrible. We got Jones as floatsom at the beginning of the year. Jones is a career 1.44 WHIP and 4.04 ERA.

It appears that the Phillies had given up on Hancock, it appears they wanted him to be a starter but worked out better as a releiver....for them. If the Reds use him as a reliever, we may be in the same boat as we were with Jones and got cheaper this year and definitely next year, and younger. If Hancock shows that he can be a starter, then this is even a better trade.

Mercado is intriguing. The kid has some wheels. Looks like he has been pushing some singles into doubles too. I'm a little worried about all those errors, but if some of these posters have seen him and think he is a Castro type fielder, then this isn't a bad move at all.

O'Brien did address two areas of need, and didn't trade for a 5 tooler outfielder.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Hancock is orginally a Red Sox Guy, traded to Phillies for Giambi, they were using him in the BP (with hopes that he'd seize a starting job) they want "died in woll" old style relievers, not converted starters (at least right now)

I think I read that Mercado had an appendectomy earlier this year(?)
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    I think I read that Mercado had an appendectomy earlier this year(?)
    Last year Abreu?

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    I don't think this trade was horrible. We got Jones as floatsom at the beginning of the year. Jones is a career 1.44 WHIP and 4.04 ERA.

It appears that the Phillies had given up on Hancock, it appears they wanted him to be a starter but worked out better as a releiver....for them. If the Reds use him as a reliever, we may be in the same boat as we were with Jones and got cheaper this year and definitely next year, and younger. If Hancock shows that he can be a starter, then this is even a better trade.

Mercado is intriguing. The kid has some wheels. Looks like he has been pushing some singles into doubles too. I'm a little worried about all those errors, but if some of these posters have seen him and think he is a Castro type fielder, then this isn't a bad move at all.

O'Brien did address two areas of need, and didn't trade for a 5 tooler outfielder.
    Yes. Todd Jones had a horrible July and would only have been worse as the year went on. He was released by the DRays and we are lucky we shed his salary for the Hancock salary (which I assume is much less). It's not a blockbustrer, for sure, but it's a trade that makes us better in the long run. If Mercado is Castro, he's a younger Castro and costs much less.

No, it wasn't the trade of the century or the deal that brought Randy Johnson to Cincinnati, but it was a good solid deal. To be frank, the only options for the Reds (with current budget limitations) is to gamble on youth or hope some major league team is totally insane and gives up a Randy Johnson for a Danny Graves .

I still feel there is a deal to come tomorrow which will include Mr. Graves or Mr. Lidle. We shall see...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by shaunsinger
    What exactly did you want for Todd Jones? That's what I'm wondering. Do you think Dan O'Brien looked at all the prospective deals and said "this one makes the least sense for the ballclub" and pulled the trigger? This was the best offer he had on the table so he took it. Todd Jones' 45 innings of close to 4.00 ERA ball he would have pitched the rest of the year won't be missed enough to the point where we should have kept him! I don't understand this way of thinking. If Hancock wins 10 games next year DanO's a genius. If he wins 1 game the next 2 years......we only gave up TODD JONES!!!!!
    I'm not really that down on this trade, not really gung ho about it either. Maybe it'll turn into a great trade down the road, but just doesn't seem that exciting right now. Jones may not have made anyone forget the Nasty Boys, but he was one of the more consistent members of a very bad bullpen. I just think that Jones could've been combined with someone else for a better haul.

We may not have lost that much, but have we added anything more than what was already scattered through the organization? We'll see.

Turn Off Ads?