Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Re: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Marty and Joe have been a great tandem for a long time and Joe certainly has a special place in Reds history, but it's been time for him to move on for a while now. Simply put, Nuxhall is not a very good announcer at this point. He has trouble following the action, he mixes up players and names all of the time and half the time you can barely understand him. Just because you get a job and do it for 20-30 years doesn't mean that you get that job until you die. He still has to perform, and if he can't do it, then it's time for someone else to get a shot.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Tell me I'm Cool

My favorite Joe moment is when a Red hits a possible home run while Marty's making the call and in the background you can hear Joe saying "get up, get gone"

Tell me I'm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    Just because you get a job and do it for 20-30 years doesn't mean that you get that job until you die. He still has to perform, and if he can't do it, then it's time for someone else to get a shot.
    He's been with the Reds since he was 15 years old. He's been here MUCH longer than 20-30 year.

Quote Originally Posted by airalex
    He's been with the Reds since he was 15 years old. He's been here MUCH longer than 20-30 year.
    My point is that it shouldn't matter if it's 5 years, 30 years, 60 years or 100 years. If he can't do the job well anymore, then it's time to move on. To say that a person should be able to keep their job regardless of their performance or the performance of someone else who may be just as capable if not more just because they've been doing it forever is ridiculous.

Larkin and Nuxhall have earned the right to come back if they want. The Reds suck regardless of what happens in the offseason.

It is almost impossible to win with a sub 45 million payroll.

People tend to forget that the Twins and Athletics were absolutely terrible in the 90's. 8 and 6 years of losing is not a rebuilding plan.

Man, talk about the love & loyality for a Reds legend in this thread, it's oozing with it, ain't it? :thumbdn:

For a Level Playing Field

Joe just turned 76 years-old. I think to myself about when my grandparents were around that age. I've known other people around that age. God love them all. But I cannot imagine them trying to announce a MLB game. Joe, obviously, can do it far better than most people his age. He is a seasoned vet in the booth and understands all the nuances of the game that has been his life, more-or-less, since he graced the mound for the first time in 1944.

I still love to hear Joe. His "little problems", that we are all aware of, do not bother me. It is b/c Joe is the only person (w/ Marty) that I have lived with on the baseball radio every summer. However, I think it is time... for his retirement. I know that eventually I will "get over it" and I will still listen every summer. Joe has definitely lost a step. I am not old enough to hear Joe from his beginning, but I know that he has lost a step from when I first heard him. I don't hold it against him b/c he is 76 years-old.

I am saddened mostly by one thing. I really looked forward to seeing Joe go out with a great day. I do not want this to get ugly. Joe does not want to leave. It is sad. But the REDS are a business. They have employed Joe for his entire announcing career. I hear people say that the REDS owe him, but I cannot see it that way. Joe is set for the rest of his days. He worked hard and earned everything. Including a great day on his last day. A day to be remembered for some time (Pete's hit, Riverfront's last day, Pete's softball game, etc.). Oh man...

Larkin's deal is a whole different animal to me and I won't discuss it here. Joe is a REDS legend. I hope all ends well.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 08-04-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This isn't about whether or not you think he's a good announcer or not, this is about loyalty to a man who has given his whole entire life to this organization -- it's about loyalty and treating someone fairly -- Carl can hide behind John Allen with his actions without Joe even knowing intitally who forced him out. That's low, cold, and cowadly

Carl Lindner doesn't have the skills to be a run a competitive, winning-first baseball team, but nobody's running him out of town

"Man, talk about the love & loyality for a Reds legend in this thread, it's oozing with it, ain't it?"

Come to expect it........
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 08-04-2004 at 08:45 PM.

I really am interested to see what Marty has to say about this. He really could have the deciding vote. Wonder if the beat guys hit him up for a comment today.

Tell me I'm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    This isn't about whether or not you think he's a good announcer or not, this is about loyalty to a man who has given his whole entire life to this organization

Carl Lindner doesn't have the skills to be a run a competitive, winning-first baseball team, but nobody's running him out of town

For a Level Playing Field

This isn't about whether or not you think he's a good announcer or not, this is about loyalty to a man who has given his whole entire life to this organization -- it's about loyalty and treating someone fairly --
    I respect that.

If he stays, I am happy. If he retires, I can understand it from the REDS perspective.

This isn't about whether or not you think he's a good announcer or not, this is about loyalty to a man who has given his whole entire life to this organization -- it's about loyalty and treating someone fairly --

How long does that loyalty run? How long do they have to put up with him being flat out awful in the name of loyalty? What about Joe's loyalty? At what point should his loyalty to quality broadcasting for the Cincinnati Reds organization come into play and tell him he needs to hand up the mic? Loyalty runs both ways. Being loyal to an organization for a long time is an admirable quality, but I think he was paid very well for doing it. But at some point in time, that loyalty isn't enough to excuse incompetence. I think they've been "being loyal" for the last 4 or 5 years but that loyalty is now spent.

What are they supposed to do? Let him go as long as he wants to no matter how much the quality of the broadcast suffers? Does his loyalty entitle him to a life time of holding a job he's no longer capable of doing well and being paid well for it?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    How long does that loyalty run? How long do they have to put up with him being flat out awful in the name of loyalty? What about Joe's loyalty? At what point should his loyalty to quality broadcasting for the Cincinnati Reds organization come into play and tell him he needs to hand up the mic? Loyalty runs both ways. Being loyal to an organization for a long time is an admirable quality, but I think he was paid very well for doing it. But at some point in time, that loyalty isn't enough to excuse incompetence. I think they've been "being loyal" for the last 4 or 5 years but that loyalty is now spent.

What are they supposed to do? Let him go as long as he wants to no matter how much the quality of the broadcast suffers? Does his loyalty entitle him to a life time of holding a job he's no longer capable of doing well and being paid well for it?
    I think Joe knows when he should stop...him doing 15 to 20 games next season is a step back because he knows he can't do it like he used to it -- just like an 80 game schedule was this season
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-04-2004 at 09:09 PM.

Again, has anyone from the Reds said flat out he can't do 15-20 games? Like I said, I didn't see the report, but unless they are flat out refusing to let him do any games, its not fair to speculate that they won't.

Turn Off Ads?