Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Re: Nuxhall being FORCED out

I saw the interview and Nux basically was asked if he felt the Reds were forcing him out and he said he felt they were. And we've been hearing rumors about this almost as soon as Steve Stewart was hired. Joe was very emotional about this when he was being interviewed. Maybe Joe is pulling a bit of a power play of his own here and is using his popularity with the fans to force the Reds to keep him on longer than originally planned. Or maybe his advancing age has confused him somewhat and he thinks the Reds are out to get him. Or perhaps "forcing him out" is an exaggeration. Maybe the Reds feel that even a limited schedule is tougher on Joe health-wise than a PR job with the Reds would be. They may think they are doing him a favor and are trying to keep him with us and his family for as long as possible. Of course Joe is a big boy and if he thinks he can keep going, it's his decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Man, I'll tell you what, growing up in Cincy I used to listen to Joe and Marty all the time when the Reds were not on TV. I even met the man on numerous occasions while working for his son for 6 years, he is and always will be a class act. I loved hearing him get excited on the air when someone knocked one out, and Marty's "and this one belongs to the Reds" I will miss having him be a part of the Reds.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Joe also said a few years ago he considered retiring because of health reasons, but feels better now, and he looks better now

I think he sounds better this year, with the limited schedule than he has in years.....if Uncle Carl is forcing him out, this is not the way to handle this situation

Joe has been here longer than anybody in this organization (except for maybe Mr. Stowe) and he should pretty much be able to do whatever he wants..it's not like he said he wants to stay on full time, just 15-20 games next year....what's wrong with that?

IF Carl really did force him out...he should be ashamed of himself
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-04-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Sounds like Allen needs to clear things up and communicate publicly - not exactly a strong point for him.

Which is why he should be removed from his current position among other things.

Regardless of what's going on with Joe's retirement, I am going to miss him like crazy when he does retire. I know his tenure has to end eventually, but regardless of when or how the end comes, it's going to be a sad day for me.

In the story on channel 5, they tried to get comment from Carl Lindner and a Lindner spokeswoman for Lindner said that he would have nothing to say about the issue because Jon Allen is the spokesman for the team

For once, I will actually stand up for John Allen....he wasn't the one who did this....he shouldn't have to say anything

For once, I will actually stand up for John Allen....he wasn't the one who did this....he shouldn't have to say anything
    Been out in the business world long Matt?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Been out in the business world long Matt?

This seems more personal than business -- but regardless, somebody needs to say something to clear things up a bit
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-04-2004 at 07:54 PM.

Tell me I'm Cool

Re: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Remember when the Tigers tried to force out Ernie Harwell.

Quote Originally Posted by airalex
    Remember when the Tigers tried to force out Ernie Harwell.
    It was Bo Schembechler.

This reeks of what happened at West Virginia University a few years ago. Jack Fleming had been the voice of the Mountaineers for over 40 years and, like Joe with the Reds, was an icon to fans. Jack had some health problems (a few mini-srokes), but had come back to do some basketball games. To most people, he seemed to be fine.

Then over the summer he was relieved of his duties and he didn't want to go. He had given his life to the University and earlier had been released from the Steeler's network for a younger man.

The same old stories came out. Jack was losing it. Jack was sick. Jack didn't have it anymore. They offered him a web position (for a guy who hadn't turned on a computer in his life). The same debate came up here. Younger folks thought Jack should just go away, not having the knack for tradition. Others raised holy heck. It did no good. Jack lived about 8 years doing that web page...and was very unhappy.

I certainly hope the Reds don't deal this hand to Joe. When you give the majority of your life to something, you deserve fair treatment.

And just because business does it, that doesn't mean it's right!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Tell me I'm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    It was Bo Schembechler.
    Yet another reason to hate him.

Geez, I hope this doesn't bring down the wrath of RedsZone on me, but to compare Ernie Harwell to Joe Nuxhall, at any point in their respective careers, is beyond apples to oranges.

I love Joe, but his ability level at this stage of his career isn't quite the same as Ernie's was at the time Bo tried to move him out.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

When Detroit forced Ernie Harwell out a few years back, and he went public about it, the Tiger fans went nuts. Detroit management caved and Harwell was back after a year.

If Joe feels that way, and is indeed taking his case to the public court, it will be interesting to see how the fans react and, then, what Reds management does.

If past history with Uncle Carl (see Larkin, Barry) is any indicator, enough fan outrage and Joe will be back in the mix.

Personally, I hope he gets to hang around and go out on his own terms.
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

Just makes a lot of mistake these days but he is a familiar voice. Stewart certainly isn't an improvement.

Joe fits in nicely with an error prone team. Let him stay.

Turn Off Ads?