Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Re: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

I'm with you Chip. I'm sure I have had a time or two of being negative on certain players, but I think the bashing on this site in the game threads get's old. I can understand when someone get's bashed for making mental mistakes because he looks like he isn't trying, but bashing someone as great as Adam Dunn because he fails is a little odd. I'm no angel though, i've criticized a player before, I just don't think it's near the extent of many here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I'm no angel though, i've criticized a player before, I just don't think it's near the extent of many here.
    We've all criticized players, managers and front office people before and will continue to do so. But there seems to be a double standard for Joe. If Larkin makes a bad play people call for his head. If Joe screws up it's just Good Ol' Joe.

But what I would like to know is if the Reds want to replace Joe for performance reasons or personality reasons. I don't think Joe is really up to snuff to do the broadcasts because of the errors he makes. It'd be different if he did the games on TV so we could see what he missed. But Joe is our eyes when he is doing the games on radio and it's very frustrating to not be able to know what is going on accurately. However Joe has been like this for the past several years and the Reds have kept re-signing him to contracts so they must have not have thought he has done too terrible of a job. But again I am at a loss as to why the Reds keep winding up shooting themselves in the foot like this. This is just like Barry Larkin's situation last season. They dithered about until the bad publicity forced them and Larkin to work out a deal for this year. It all could have been settled behind closed doors long before it came to a head. This all could have been settled before Joe dropped the bombshell yesterday. It's not all the Reds fault. But perhaps Joe wanted to force their hand. He has nothing to lose, really. Surely there can be some sort of middle ground here to solve this and make the Reds and Joe look better. Pointing fingers at Lindner isn't going to help. Maybe Marty can serve as some sort of a mediator to get both sides together on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

They could have Joe do color for Marty and drop his play-by-play responsibilities in addition to a limited schedule. They should have worked with him to let him go out a little more gracefully. Instead we were all lead to believe it was Joe wanting to retire that brought about the broadcast changes.

1990WorldChamps

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    Despite all the inuendo and "reading between lines", the fact remains that there is no proof whatsoever that Carl Lindner is the one forcing out Joe Nuxhall. Marty Brenneman has a stronger motive to get rid of Nuxhall than does Carl Lindner.
    If Marty is calling the shots how is it that he doesn't even have a contract for next year? The theory that Marty is the guy with the power to tell John Allen what to do in this scenario makes no sense whatsoever.

Whether you like it or not, Marty is a "Hall of Fame" broadcaster, and with that comes some power and pull. I realize that a lot of folks on this forum don't like Marty and Joe, but they are an institution with a lot of Reds fans. The suits in the front office need to handle this with care. I don't think there are a lot of people that give a rat's behind about this front office, and they don't really need to alienate themselves any more than they already have with the fan base. A lot of folks may like some of the moves that this front office has made and is making, but I would wager to say that a lot of folks have just about had their fill of the botched PR situations that come with regularity with this bunch.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

REDS RELEASE A STATEMENT:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Cincinnati Reds’

Statement Regarding Joe Nuxhall

Joe Nuxhall is as integral a part of and as identifiable to this organization as any player or manager who has put on a Reds uniform. We respect and appreciate his many years of service and loyalty. Everyone at the Cincinnati Reds agrees with our fans. He has earned the right to be involved as long as he wishes.

It never has been the intent of the Reds that the 2004 season be Joe’s last with the organization. Joe is aware that we want him to continue to be part of the Reds family for as long as he wants. Specific duties have not been finalized, but earlier this summer our discussions included broadcasting some spring training and regular season games in the future. We have agreed that at some point we will sit down and specifically identify those duties, and Joe is very comfortable with this.

On October 28, 2002 the Reds entered into a two-year contract with Joe for the 2003 and 2004 seasons. In 2004, Joe was scheduled to broadcast 60 games, representative of his 60 years in professional baseball. There was a mutual understanding that the 2004 season was to be Joe’s final season in the broadcast booth, and a public statement was made to that effect at a press conference, which Joe attended.

During Spring Training 2004, Joe approached us about doing more games during the 2004 season. He indicated he was feeling good and wanted to take on the additional workload. After brief discussions with Joe and his representative, the number of games for Joe to broadcast in 2004 was increased to approximately half the games.

##

That is a smart move.

And Joe's power play worked to perfection.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Obviously they had to make a statement...it basically says what was said when his "retirement" was announced, which is fine

I'll believe Joe before I believe this organziation that has been lying to us for years about their intent to be competetive

There's more going on than being said....it'll come out at some point on who said what and who didn't
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-05-2004 at 04:24 PM.

I'd put my money on Nuxhall's word before this front office's as well.

My thoughts exactly

Got a problem with the FO, complain to the press..they will cave..well except if it involves winning
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Obviously they had to make a statement...it basically says what was said when his "retirement" was announced, which is fine

I'll believe Joe before I believe this organziation that has been lying to us for years about their intent to be competetive

There's more going on than being said....it'll come out at some point on who said what and who didn't
    Whatever happened behind the scenes Joe complained and it looks like he got his way.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Anything that keeps Joe announcing games is good in my books, lord knows every corporation and business uses every tactic possible to win, i'm glad when any employee uses any leverage they have.

That no good Nuxhall.

Larkin must have advised him.

Turn Off Ads?