Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Re: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

An easy solution would be for Joe to join Marty and what's-his-name in the booth as a third announcer for home games - when he feels like it.
    Not doing play by play, which has always been Joe's weak point, but simply adding color commentary while the other two guys do the heavy lifting.
    As for Lindner, is it possible that he resents Joe's status as a local icon? It must be galling to him to be held in contempt by many, despite what he sees as a lifetime of philanthropy, while a blue-collar type from Hamilton is perhaps the most beloved man in the Tri-State.
    And remember, there were credible media reports last winter that Uncle Carl tried to persuade Allen to hire the husband of Lindner's secretary as Joe's replacement.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    And that may be fine for you. You find him familiar and are willing to overlook his mistakes. But what about new young listeners? They tune in and then they get turned off to Reds baseball.
    Any new, young listener would only be so lucky as to have his parent/guardian explain to him what all that Joe has meant to this team and this city.

I wouldn't worry about the new, young listener. Maybe if we were getting fans from across the country and world, but that just doesnt seem to be the case.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

If there were more people with the heart of soul of Joe Nuxhall involved in baseball, it wouldn't have all the negativity and problems it has now

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    If there were more people with the heart of soul of Joe Nuxhall involved in baseball, it wouldn't have all the negativity and problems it has now
    Amen. This team, if all of this is true, has gone and ruined one of the only things going for it.

I can't even believe what I'm reading here.

Who really cares if Joe makes a few mistakes in the booth? How many of you can say Assenmacher and Benevides without fumbling it up occasionally? Joe's been making little mistakes in the booth for as long as I can remember listening to him.

If new young baseball fans get turned off from baseball by listening to Joe Nuxhall, then they were never going to be true lifelong fans anyway.

Joe has earned the right to leave the booth when he wants to. None of us have earned any right to say it's time for Joe to go.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I can't even believe what I'm reading here.

Who really cares if Joe makes a few mistakes in the booth? How many of you can say Assenmacher and Benevides without fumbling it up occasionally? Joe's been making little mistakes in the booth for as long as I can remember listening to him.

If new young baseball fans get turned off from baseball by listening to Joe Nuxhall, then they were never going to be true lifelong fans anyway.

Joe has earned the right to leave the booth when he wants to. None of us have earned any right to say it's time for Joe to go.

The Reds have had quality broadcasting for a lot longer than Joe Nuxhall has been around. I think THEY earned the right to decide who they want in the booth.

I don't care who you are, you never EARN the right to go on longer than your abilities allow you to do your job well. That's not loyalty in my book.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It's painful to listen to, and frankly, this is not the way he should be remembered.

It's okay to move on.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Some act like he screws game after game, play after play, night after night and doesn't get anything right and is basically beligerant in the booth and butchers the broadcast and is impossible to listen to

Because he can't pronounce a crazy last name right, or gets a couple of players mixed up, or he says right, left center, or he pauses a lot he's lost his skills and deserves to be forced into retirement?

The passion he has for this team and the happiness he reflects in his voice when the big plays occur and when the team wins still brings me a smile. When this team is doing well he gets so happy and it reflects in the broadcast...you can tell he means what he feels and not just doing it because it's the Reds and he works as part of the broadcast team

When the team is stinking up the joint, he shows his true feelings about that too...I like that..I like someone in there who is going to tell it like it is game in and game out.

And someone who means what he says whether it's good or bad -- and that is something Joe will do with the Reds even when he's gone -- and something I don't think anybody else will ever be able to the way he could and still does
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-05-2004 at 01:06 AM.

I have no problem with Joe- he doesn't leave me feeling at aloss for info and I just like listening to him. I know he slips up, but as for me, well, I am not too far from the big 5-0 and he is one of the few things left that I enjoyed as a kid and still can. When he is retired, I'm afraid I'll feel somewhat older.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Some act like he screws game after game, play after play, night after night and doesn't get anything right and is basically beligerant in the booth and butchers the broadcast and is impossible to listen to

Yep. That's a pretty good description of Joe in the booth these days. I listen a lot and I can't tell whether a fly ball is a can of corn or a 500 foot HR. When more than one thing is going on (i.e. a ball in the gap with multpile guys on base), he can't keep up. It's painful. Heck, if i didn't care about what happened until after it happened, I'd just read the boxscores.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I've started this response three times without success. I'll try again, but it's not easy. Joe Nuxhall has been with the Reds in one capacity or another since he was 15 years old. When he left, they traded him away. He came back in 1962 or 1963, and went 14-3 one year. He stayed until he retired from playing and still stayed loyal to the Reds as a broadcaster. That's loyalty.

My Dad told me once that there is no loyalty in the world anymore. (I know. The OLD MAN is going to lecture you young whippersnappers again...time to delete and move on) He always told me that if a man stayed with the same company for a long time and never considered jumping ship or leaving for better wages, conditions, and fringe benefits, he was golden and deserved the benefit of the doubt in all situations. But, that was the real America that doesn't exist anymore. In today's world, all that matters is that you do everything correctly and without liability (even if you have to lie). Never mind if you are one of the reasons millions of folks follow the place you work, it's always time for a change especially if you are younger and can talk a better game. It's money and perception that matter. Nothing else. Old fogies need not apply.

And it's not like the great multitudes are calling for his dismissal, because they are not. It's radio. When I listen to the broadcasts, it's either because the game is not on TV or I'm in the car. Everything is not about total accuracy. It's the feel of the game--that's what radio has always been. I could care less where the player came from or how old he is. I want a friendly voice to let me know what's going on. It's baseball. And I want to be entertained. Marty does that. Joe does that. Anyone who wants to see what the other side is like, check out the Braves' radio team. Paint drying is more exciting. Yes, you get every statistic you never dreamed existed, but you get no emotion. You get professionalism. God save us from that. Driving along with the World Book Encyclopedia of baseball is a prescription for maybe falling asleep and plowing your car into a guardrail. Joe genuinely gets excited about the Reds. I just listened to Steve call an inning, and he might be a nice guy and all, but my mind wondered to a million things I should be doing other than listening to baseball. That never happens to me with Joe. I want to see what he and Marty think about situations. And I want to hear the hoarse voice say, "Get up, get out!" in the background. Or the quiet groan when something goes wrong. Quoting endless statistics is a prescription for putting me to sleep.

But, I guess it's over and that's the way of 21st Century America. Get rid of them and bring the younger set in. Trouble is, younger folks don't listen to radio much anymore. They've got MP3's and ESPN.com and all that. My son follows the game on his computer.

Yep, the Reds needed to let Joe go when he felt like it. It wasn't brain surgery, but it was close. It was PBP radio. And Joe didn't make the cut...after 60-odd years of being a Red. "It was a business decision."

Sad.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

IIRC, Joe made the decision to retire before this season even started!

He said he'd take it slow, calling only half the games this year and not be back in 2005. Did he change his mind?

Ok, I found it. Here's the article:

Voice Of The Reds Joe Nuxhall Retiring From Radio In 2004
    11/1/02 11:37:24 AM

Reds radio man Joe Nuxhall is living up to his famous sign off -- "the old lefthander is rounding third and heading for home."
    Nuxhall has decided to stay in the booth with Marty Brennaman for two more years then will retire in 2004.

Nuxhall has been a part of the Reds organization for 51 years and has spent the last 36 calling plays for his hometown team.

The Hamilton native was the youngest player ever to play in a major league game, coming up with the Reds as a pitcher in 1944 at the age of 15.

Word was that Nuxhall wanted to see the Reds move into the new Great American Ballpark before retiring. It turns out Nuxhall will get two years there before stepping down.

9News spoke with Nuxhall during the Reds' last series at Cinergy Field. He said seeing it to come to an end wasn't easy.

"I could walk out of here right now and say, well, it's been great, let's go play in the new ballpark, but that's easy to say until you hear people saying, talking about the biggest moments here and so on ... it might be a different story," Nuxhall said.

Joe Nuxhall and Marty Brennaman both signed contract extensions through 2004. Attorney Reuven Katz, who has represented many former Reds players over years, helped work out the two year extensions for the legendary broadcast pair.

The news that Nuxhall is slated to work just 60 games during the 2004 season and then retire came as a surprise to some fans.

"Well, that saddens me. I remember growing up listening to Joe Nuxhall on radio and following the games and watching him pitch when I was a younger so it's like an institution retiring," said Gary Frede.

Gordon Wilshire of Ft. Thomas was also upset at the news.

"Well I was sorry to hear about it. I would like to see him stay," Wilshire said.

"He's the ultimate baseball announcer. I put him up there with Harry Caray and Mel Allen, all of them," said Harry Bader of Southgate, Kentucky.

"When you think of Joe you think Reds Baseball. You don't even want to think Joe not being part of that," said Helen Thomas of the Skywalk Baseball store.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2002/local/11/01/nuxall.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

He was FORCED to make that decision -- that's what this whole thread is about -- it seems it's finally come out that he didn't really want to retire, but is being forced out by, according to Tommy Helms, Carl Lindner.....it seems John Allen is the one who was able to get him the limited schedule this season. Joe was on with Furman earlier, and he's hoping to meet with John Allen sometime soon and see if can get a small number of games for next season. He doesn't want to go, but is ok with reducing the workload, but will accept whatever the organization decides
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-05-2004 at 01:33 AM.

You know those long moments of silence that Joe has? I don't mind them, but it makes me remember the days of older car radios where you turned the tuner knob and the bar moved right or left. If you were on the fringes of reception, it was tough tuning in beacuse you weren't sure if you were between stations or if Joe just wasn't talking.

Turn Off Ads?