Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Re: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Quote Originally Posted by iammrred
    Larkin must have advised him.
    :MandJ: :MandJ: :mhcky21:
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Longtime Cincinnati Reds announcer Joe Nuxhall is upset, certain the team is forcing him out of the broadcasting booth.

``I had to get it off my chest,'' the 76-year-old Nuxhall said this week at a signing for his new book. ``It's been on my mind ever since it started.''

Nuxhall was only 15 when he pitched in relief for the Reds on June 10, 1944. He still holds the distinction as the youngest player ever to appear in the majors.

ADVERTISEMENT

The left-hander has been a Reds broadcaster since 1967, spending almost the last 31 years in the booth with partner Marty Brennaman. The two of them signed two-year extensions on Nov. 1, 2002.

Nuxhall said the Reds made it clear after the 2002 season that they didn't want him to do the 2004 season. His representative, Reuven Katz, worked out a deal with John Allen, the Reds' chief operating officer, to have Nuxhall do 80 games in 2004.

Nuxhall said Wednesday that Allen wasn't the executive forcing his departure.

``It wasn't John Allen, is all I'll say,'' Nuxhall said. ``I don't know who it was. I'm not going to comment until I find out.''

The Reds issued a statement Thursday saying they have talked with him about returning next year in some capacity, although not as an everyday broadcaster.

``Specific duties have not been finalized, but earlier this summer our discussions included broadcasting some spring training and regular-season games in the future,'' the Reds said. ``Joe Nuxhall is as integral a part of, and as identifiable to this organization, as any player or manager who has put on a Reds uniform.

``He has earned the right to be involved as long as he wishes.''

Nuxhall's replacement, Steve Stewart, is working with Brennaman this season to handle the games that Nuxhall does not work. The plan is for Stewart to take over full time for Nuxhall in 2005.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I don't see how this news release is a win for Joe. It says he'll have a new role TBD in 2005, but provides no assurance that he will be broadcasting. I look for the final decision on his role to be announced on Super Bowl week.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I don't see how this news release is a win for Joe. It says he'll have a new role TBD in 2005, but provides no assurance that he will be broadcasting. I look for the final decision on his role to be announced on Super Bowl week.
    This AM on WLW Joe was on with Jim Scott. He pretty much said that he just wants some job with the Reds. He said it would be nice to do a few games with Marty "to keep the relationship alive" and that he doesn't want to mess up the thing with Marty and Steve. (didn't know that they had a thing, but whatever).

So I think that press release might be enough for him.

Or not.

Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

ifreelgood

I was a huge Tigers fan, until they forced Ernie Harwell out in the early 90's......and the tigers still havnt earned the respect and trust of the fans after that. MEMO to the REDS!!!!!! Do do such a classless thing!

I can't believe they are STILL talking about this Nuxhall nonsense on WLW tonight.

Should've known they'd milk this "controversy" for all it's worth.

ZZZzzzzzz.....the Reds said they want him back next year, move on people, move on.

Turn Off Ads?