Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Nuxhall being FORCED out -- Channel 5 Reporting

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I care about his mistakes. I like to listen to the games and I get so frustrated listening to him and not understanding what's going on. Hey, I'm as sentimental as the next guy. There were several times this year listening to Joe I just chuckled and said to myself that I'm going to miss hearing his voice. But I'd rather listen to a quality broadcast of the game than to not understand what's going on, but by golly I'm getting to listen to Joe Nuxhall speak so it's OK.

Give me a quality broadcast. I'll still have my memories of listening to Joe all these years.
    I see your point, and it's a resonable expectation....I should have said a lot of people don't mind the little errors...poor wording on my part

Difference of opinion between you and I, and there's nothing wrong with that

I still feel the Reds could have gone about this differently

2. Turn Off Ads?

Perfectly put MWM.

It actually pains me to hear him. It makes me sad to hear him stumble all over himself. I'd rather not hear it all, and just remember him calling Joe Oliver's double over the third base bag ( a great call, btw...Maybe one of my all time favorites).

I love Joe Nuxhall, but it's time for him to go.

As far as Steve Stewart goes...I think he takes an unfair beating. He's quick witted, and professional...A little dry, yes, but he gives us INFORMATION. What's the count? Who's up? Where was the ball hit? Who caught it? What's the score?
    Sometimes Marty doesn't even give us the score, you know.

Loyalty is great, but performance and information are better, especially in radio.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I still feel the Reds could have gone about this differently
    How so?

I keep hearing how the Reds have handled this poorly, yet I've yet to hear one reason why. As far as I can tell, all they did was tell him they were moving in another direction. They gave him plenty of notice by letting him know at the beginning of last season that he would broadcast about half the games this year and then his replacement would be full time next year.

They also didn't go public that they were the ones making this decision. They let Joe announce his "retirement" so it did look like it was Joe's decision. They did all of this out of respect for Joe. I don't see how they could have handled it any better.

Remember, joe was the one from the beginning that intimated publically that he was forced out. He had his chance to go out on top with plenty of respect and adulation. It was JOE, not the Reds organization that turned it in to more than it needed to be. So if anyone handled this poorly, it was joe.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

All we've heard right now is innuendo.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Re: Nuxhall being FORCED out

Perhaps he's being forced out for monetary reasons. That seems to be the reason for everything that happens with this team. I'm sure Steve is cheaper :thumbdn: It really is a shame to treat him this way with all the years he's been in the Reds organization.

Also, with the addition of Steve Stewart, I've come to appreciate Joe even more. He just has such a warm personality and aura about him makes him enjoyable to listen to. No that I see what the booth is like without him, I realize I've taken him for granted.

How so?

Having a day for him at the end of the season instead of just giving him the boot would be a start...

He may still come back to do 12-15 games next year, and I hope he does

When it is finally the end of the Nuxhall era, they need to do something for the man

Someone please tell me how the Reds organization has treated Joe poorly. One example is all I ask.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Someone please tell me how the Reds organization has treated Joe poorly. One example is all I ask.

I never said they did, I just feel that booting him the way they are isn't exactly the right way to do it -- I think they should give him a day for everything he did and for, what a concept, the fans! John Allen, being on Joe's side I think, I think he would see that this would get done

How do you know they didn't offer that to him?

How do you know they didn't offer that to him?

That I don't know...I hope they did or are going to when it's all said and done - and if he wants to come back for a small chunk of games in 2005, they should be open to it
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-04-2004 at 11:23 PM.

Actually Matt, they are holding a Joe Nuxhall retirement celebration as part of Queen City Fusion weekend in Cincinnati in September.

So I guess the Reds have handled it OK afterall.

Actually Matt, they are holding a Joe Nuxhall retirement celebration as part of Queen City Fusion weekend in Cincinnati in September.

So I guess the Reds have handled it OK afterall.
    I didn't know that, but I meant at the ballpark

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I doubt that Joe's a big drain on the budget. He probably makes about 2% of what Danny Graves does. If anything, he's being shown the door for performance reasons. Joe is beloved, a fixture, someone we grew up with and all that, but he simply no longer measures up to modern standards for MLB announcers. If he continues to squawk about this, he'll be lucky to get credentials to VISIT the press box next year.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I doubt that Joe's a big drain on the budget. He probably makes about 2% of what Danny Graves does. If anything, he's being shown the door for performance reasons. Joe is beloved, a fixture, someone we grew up with and all that, but he simply no longer measures up to modern standards for MLB announcers. If he continues to squawk about this, he'll be lucky to get credentials to VISIT the press box next year.
    Glad to see Carl making moves in the booth for performance reasons but doing as little as possible to better the performance of the product on the field

From the article Matt posted:
    There once was a time when Nuxhall was considering retiring, but that was when he was battling health problems. Now, however, seems to be a different story.

"I'd mentioned retirement a couple years ago because I wasn't feeling so good," he said.
    I genuinely feel bad for the guy, and I have loved listening to Joe Nuxhall since the days of the BRM. But this thing of "Today I'm retired. but tomorrow I'll feel better and unretired." is not a good thing. It's not good for Joe and it's not good for the team. It leaves things up in the air and no one knows how to make future plans. I have seen this happen in the business world - a person decides to retire and announces it, and then changes their mind. The result has NEVER led to a stress-free parting.

Advertisers want to know who will be broadcasting the games. It puts the team in a spot because it all boils down to Nuxie's health as to who is going to broadcast. Some advertisers may want Nuxhall, and others may NOT want him.

The Reds showed loyalty by allowing Joe to hang on as long as he has. They even worked out a shortened schedule for him - advertising it to be his final year. Besides, how can you plan a big retirement bash if no one knows whether or not the guy is retired?

I am not opposed to him doing 15 home games next year. I'm not even opposed to giving him lifetime access to the radio booth as long as he is able to attend the games. But all this talk of being 'forced out" needs to stop right now and Joe needs to step away without all the fuss.

With all due respect, it's time for the "old left-hander" to stop "rounding third and heading for home" and gracefully go ahead and cross home plate.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?