Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Popping the BIG question

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Popping the BIG question

So my idea that I am sending out into the void, I'm mulling over the idea of popping the Big question.

You know which one I speak of, the life changing one, the change your life forever question.

Since this is a board filled with folks of varying life experiences, I thought I would ask for funny stories, do's and don'ts, experiences, etc etc.

I've pretty much sumed up that I'm going to do it, and how I want to do it.

Anyway, if anyone has any input, feel free to add it now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Popping the BIG question

Do it live on tv in the middle of a D'backs game. :mhcky21:

#1 - I think we were out driving somewhere and I said to Mrs. Tucker #1 "so, do you want to get married or what?". She said "I suppose we should". I should have know then...

Many years later...

#2 - I asked Mrs. Tucker #2 out to dinner that night and told her we'd go somewhere nice so dress up.

I went out, bought a big rock, a dozen roses, a bottle of champagne, and put on my best suit.

Picked her up, took her to my place ostensibly for a pre-dinner drink, sat her on the couch next to the flowers, showed her the ring, and said "make me the happiest man in the world and marry me". She said "yes" after, oh, 2-3 nanoseconds.

We drank the champagne and went out to dinner (and got totally sloshed IIRC). The next day, we did the rounds of her parents, my parents, etc etc.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I've never been married (though I've been asked ), so all I have to say is:

Good luck and congratulations, brother. :gac:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Well, I was leaving the country, so he gave me a package to give to his sister who lived near where I was going...anyway, a couple of days after I was there, he called me up and asked me to check to see if he had put the right thing in it...Inside was an envelope asking me to marry him and a gold bracelet! After freaking out for a few seconds, he said, "I haven't heard an answer yet". I responded, "Ok, I guess, why not..."

And now we're down to five days

#1 - I think we were out driving somewhere and I said to Mrs. Tucker #1 "so, do you want to get married or what?". She said "I suppose we should". I should have know then...
    That's exactly how it happened on my end.

Asking is the easy part, I hear the wedding is the pain.

We did Vegas to circumvent that.

Smile
    Go Gators!

Never ask for advice...you might get it, take it, and it's wrong.

Then she asks you how you came up with that idea and you tell her "from someone else", and then she considers you a lamebrain for even considering asking someone else about such an important personal event concerning her.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

If I can give any advice about the whole situation it is: don't stall. Don't start the conversation with: Honey, there's something I wanted to ummm talk to you about...ummm, well, I was...ummm, well, you know...

Just say it with confidence. You're shouldn't be too nervous, this is something you SHOULD be confident about.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Do it live on tv in the middle of a D'backs game. :mhcky21:
    Funny, but I think I'd get disowned by my family if I did that one

I actually was planning a hot air balloon ride this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    I've never been married (though I've been asked ), so all I have to say is:

Good luck and congratulations, brother. :gac:
    Thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Never ask for advice...you might get it, take it, and it's wrong.

Then she asks you how you came up with that idea and you tell her "from someone else", and then she considers you a lamebrain for even considering asking someone else about such an important personal event concerning her.
    Not so much asking for advice, just like to hear stories of how other people went about the deed. I've pretty much made up my mind on how I'd like it to go down

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    If I can give any advice about the whole situation it is: don't stall. Don't start the conversation with: Honey, there's something I wanted to ummm talk to you about...ummm, well, I was...ummm, well, you know...

Just say it with confidence. You're shouldn't be too nervous, this is something you SHOULD be confident about.
    Heh, the nerves are all going on right now. When the time comes, I'm sure that will be the easy part.

You could play it real cool like I did

(driving in the car)

Krono: So when we get married who do you want to invite?

Mrs.Krono: We're getting married?

Krono: Yeah, if you want to

Mrs.Krono: Sounds good

Krono: Cool

Go Gators!

I have never been one of those guys who hires a sky writer or rents a billboard to propose. In fact, I never actually did propose. We just kind of decided to make it legal one day over pizza. Then again, we had no money whatsoever, so it's not like a I could have even gotten her a ring or anything to propose with. We ended up buying the cheapest ones we could at Service Merchandise.
    My story was totally boring, completely on the cheap, and basically a non-event. The wedding day was fun but it wasn't near the blowout that my brother had.
    I am telling you this because you have your own story to tell. I would not change a thing about ours because it was who we were at the time. Try thinking about what it means to you and how you think it should be done and go from there. That may lead you to a Vegas trip or little cafe in Soho. Either way, if you end up with the one you love, it's a perfect story, no?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Tell me I'm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    You could play it real cool like I did

(driving in the car)

Krono: So when we get married who do you want to invite?

Mrs.Krono: We're getting married?

Krono: Yeah, if you want to

Mrs.Krono: Sounds good

Krono: Cool

Marriage for dummies :mhcky21:

Quote Originally Posted by airalex
    Marriage for dummies :mhcky21:
    Hey it works
    Go Gators!

Awww... I love reading these stories!! :MandJ: I'm such a nerd!!

Perhaps in 5 years or so, I'll have my own good story to contribute here, but at age 21, I'm not exactly ready for such events. I always joke that I want to be proposed to either at a baseball game or at the top of the Sears Tower at night, but I'm sure I will be absolutely thrilled to be proposed to AT ALL!! : I figure as long as it's done in a heartfelt manner and representative of our special relationship, how/where/when it's done does not matter.

Now one of my friends has his pilot's license, and plans on flying his one true love to a beach somewhere and proposing. You could go that route, but wow, that's a whole lot of fanfare!! :MandJ:
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Turn Off Ads?