Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should The Reds Go Back To The Clean Shaven Look?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

31 50.00%
  • NO

31 50.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Should The Reds Go Back To The Clean Shaven Look?

Re: Should The Reds Go Back To The Clean Shaven Look?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    The further we get removed from the BRM, the more legends begin. The Reds would have been just as successful regardless of their grooming habits. Hard to believe we lost to those grubby A's in '72 with our clean cut look, isn't it? It is a logical fallacy to think that one game was won because the Reds had a dress and grooming code. "The Reds way" was great defense, average starting pitching, above average bullpen, and an incredible offense. When that went away, so did the championships, even when the uniforms and grooming went away. I'm with WOY, can we move on please? The BRM stands alone.
    Maybe the Cubs should look at some game photos of the 1908 Cubs, Tinker and Evers didn't talk to each other, maybe if Walker and Nomar tried that.......

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Maybe the Cubs should look at some game photos of the 1908 Cubs, Tinker and Evers didn't talk to each other, maybe if Walker and Nomar tried that.......
    Take it a step further, want a Babe Ruth, just have all your minor leaguers drink, chase wild women, gain 100 pounds, and tippy toe around the bases.

Take it a step further, want a Babe Ruth, just have all your minor leaguers drink, chase wild women, gain 100 pounds, and tippy toe around the bases.
    And cork their bats .
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

I wish that the players that come to the Reds organization would respect the tradition and feel a little of the pride that you see Yankee players displaying when they put on the same "pinstripes" that have been worn by every Yankee player since the Babe. The look is timeless, and I wish the Reds would try to capture a little bit of that in their look. The look that is most identified with Reds success is the clean and simple look of the 70's.

I'm really not as big a stickler for the clean shaven look, but neatly trimmed mustaches and beards is not asking too much, as well as wearing the uniform the way it was meant to be worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I'm not saying it is the answer. I just think all ballplayers should have grooming standards.

The Johnny Damon look really says alot about being a professional ballplayer.
    It's funny what some will require of others, that is not necessarily reflective in their own lives maybe?

I say bring back Mr Red with the handlebar mustache!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

wearing the uniform the way it was meant to be worn.
    I'm not very knowledgeable about the Rule Book. Is there a rule about how it's to be worn? Seriously. Just asking.

So, I guess it's alright for ballplayers to wear their hats backwards, shirttails out, gold chains dangling down from their necks, and ear rings that I only can dreamed about getting my wife. Next thing you know MLB will turn into a WWE version of the game.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

So, I guess it's alright for ballplayers to wear their hats backwards, shirttails out, gold chains dangling down from their necks, and ear rings that I only can dreamed about getting my wife.
    At last we agree; I knew you'd come around.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    So, I guess it's alright for ballplayers to wear their hats backwards, shirttails out, gold chains dangling down from their necks, and ear rings that I only can dreamed about getting my wife. Next thing you know MLB will turn into a WWE version of the game.
    Maybe they should have a dress code for the fans at the stadium too. Nothing is more demoralizing to a player then playing before a bunch of fashion slobs!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

During the 1995 season, Buck Showalter openly criticized Ken Griffey, Jr. and Barry Bonds for sloppy dressing, which he considered insulting to baseball's history. In his first year with the expansion Arizona Diamondbacks Showalter outlined his managerial philosophy in a 300-page tome distributed to players which included bans on earrings, beards, goatees, and laziness.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    During the 1995 season, Buck Showalter openly criticized Ken Griffey, Jr. and Barry Bonds for sloppy dressing, which he considered insulting to baseball's history. In his first year with the expansion Arizona Diamondbacks Showalter outlined his managerial philosophy in a 300-page tome distributed to players which included bans on earrings, beards, goatees, and laziness.
    Do tell what Bucky has done to enhance baseball's history and I'll consider him worth listening to. (chirp, chirp, chirp) That's what I thought

<deleted>
    Last edited by Big Klu; 08-13-2004 at 09:54 PM.

Do tell what Bucky has done to enhance baseball's history and I'll consider him worth listening to. (chirp, chirp, chirp) That's what I thought

No opinion one way or another...just thought it was topical.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?