Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of Keeping Miley

Re: Pros and Cons of Keeping Miley

There's a free agent manager currently available that I'd much rather have then Miley.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of you out there who know who that is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    There's a free agent manager currently available that I'd much rather have then Miley.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of you out there who know who that is.
    would it happen to be the same one i wanted?posted a little blip about him last year that he was interested in coming back...
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    would it happen to be the same one i wanted?posted a little blip about him last year that he was interested in coming back...

His name rhymes with "Larry Dierker"

:MandJ:
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Glenn Braggs

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Miley pros. He is not Bob Boone. He doesn't change his lineup for no reason.
    I guess you are not aware how many different lineups Miley has used since taking over the manager position?

Miley cons: sometimes the SS can bat other then 2nd Dave
    Go Gators!

Even though I like Dierker, I'm the anti-Raisor and want to see Miley back next year! :mhcky21:

Who was it that voted Miley the NL manager the 1st half of the season?

I give the guy some credit for getting what he did out of this team for the first few months.

And I don't see how he can be accused of mishandling these pitchers (if that is what you want to call them). I'd like to "mishandle" a few of them from the top row of GAB (especially in the BS Pen :MandJ: ).

I haven't always agreed with his lineup shuffling at times; but IMO, the guy deserves another year with this team after all the years he loyally has spent in this organization.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

He lost me when he batted Castro second the third time. One time I could deal with, twice maybe, but 3 times or more and thats just giving outs away at a position in the batting order that gets more plate appearances than any other spot save the leadoff spot.

The bullpen use - well, no one could make use of that bullpen, but his moves still leave me baffled.

If he stays for another year so be it, I haven't complained about him and I still won't. But Miley is not the guy to take the Reds to the next level if they ever get the pitchers to do so. So when they get to that point Miley needs to be gone, but before that, and it looks to be a good three years away, Miley is not gonna ruin my day (like Bob Boone did)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    He lost me when he batted Castro second the third time. One time I could deal with, twice maybe, but 3 times or more and thats just giving outs away at a position in the batting order that gets more plate appearances than any other spot save the leadoff spot.
    Castro, 89 PA's in the 2-slot. Sub .500 OPS

yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Castro, 89 PA's in the 2-slot. Sub .500 OPS

yikes.
    89 at bats - thats a horror show in and of itself. :dflynn:
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

There's a Japanese league manager that has some MLB experience... He's familiar with Cincinnati. He could be an interesting choice...

Although I'd like Dierker or Miley either one.

Bring back Boone.

Rem

So what if they dump Miley, get another manager & what if he does worse than Miley? Do you dump him for another manager after the end of the year?

You cant put all the blame on Miley, yes he makes some bad decisions, its his 1st time in the majors and he doesnt have a regular 3B, SS, and the outfield has been injured most of the year.

One thing for sure is that we need pitching, and we have known this for years. The young arms reciently brought up seem to be doing well, and have a chance to get warmed up to the big leagues, and possibly start next year.

I'm really not a fan of Miley. He's definitely below average in managing, and is the type of manager that will cost a team at least a few games every year.

Things like batting Castro #2, bringing Reidling in a tie game and letting him give up 7 runs,etc.

If anything, Miley is a symbol of the "old ways". Really, it's a joke that he got the job, primarily because Marty campained for him. Allen and Lindner have no business picking the manager. It should be completely DanO's call.
    But as long as Dave is willing to work cheap, I bet he'll hang around 3-4 years.
    Then he'll be the convienent scapegoat when this phase of rebuilding doesn't work out.

Oh, how nice it would be not to have to settle for mediocrity.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Miley...a favorite target.

Those lineups :thumbdown
    Castro 2nd, Jimenez 5th...
    Game Management :thumbdown
    Not looking ahead, bullpen matchups...

Player Management
    Defers to superstars...and not superstars. (JW's ab last night w/bases loaded...he wanted to retire with a bang). Griffey's "rest" in Philly, etc.
    Excuses for EVERYONE!

Unclear objectives
    (Are we trying to win/spoil give playing time to kids, etc...)

On the bright side, he made a few decisions early on (bye, bye, Jimmy, demoting Jr in the order, etc.) that were valuable.

Miley's good for a 3rd or 4th place finish, but won't make a run with a "good" (as opposed to great) team, since he won't account for those extra 5-10 wins IMO a very good manager can provide.

If mediocre is good enough...Miley's your man.

Turn Off Ads?