Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miley back for the '05 season

Queen Christine

Miley back for the '05 season

http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/09/06/miley906.rtf.html

I for one am very happy about this information!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Miley back for the '05 season

The good ole boy network strikes again. I thought between Miley/Gullet, one would at least be gone. Sadly the changes I forecasted didn't pan out. You get yourself entrenched within this organization, it is hard to get you out. Hopefully Naehring and Allen are gone, though Allen would be academic since he is the middle man right now.

Hohum, I'm willing to give them another year
    Go Gators!

He deserves another year seeing the loyalty and commitment he has made to this organization for the last 20 years. He was voted the NL manager for the first 1/2 of the season wasn't he?

And give the guy a BP and decent bench in '05!! Pinella or Johnson wouldn't have done any better with this team IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

True for Miley, but I'm starting to question the loyalty to Gullet
    Go Gators!

Glenn Braggs

So actually the result under Miley is about the same as with Bob Boone.

I see some irony in this. Btw, has anyone counted Miley's different lineups so far this season ? The more things change, the more they seem to stay the same (in the Reds case).

Souldn't we judge Miley more on his pre-All Star record and less on his post-All Star?

I mean, until Griffey and Kearns and Larkin got hurt, he had this team in contention.

ODERED

Wrong. Until the other teams started rearing their ugly heads in talent, and until the team started just going through the motions, Miley had the team in contention. Oh, and I'd bet anything (though it's all just hindsight) that Piniella would have given this club 10-15 more wins than what it has at this point. One thing that Lou does very well is demonstrate that the only person holding the reins is HIM. His lineup cards would never have Castro batting second, because positions don't dictate batting order. Lou dictates batting order. Norton wouldn't be trodding out there at the same time to lose the game in the same way. A pitcher's title doesn't dictate his time of appearance. Lou would dicatate that. If you don't perform well, Lou will dictate your riding the pine, and that is what I love about him. Wait, did I mention anything about Lou fighting for his team?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ODERED
    Oh, and I'd bet anything (though it's all just hindsight) that Piniella would have given this club 10-15 more wins than what it has at this point.
    Moot point. No way that this club pays Lou the $2M/yr he would want to work in Cincinnati. You'll needlessly raise your own blood pressure wishing for things that the Reds can't afford.
    /r/reds

Time is the Revelator.

Miley isn't/wasn't the problem. He's a fine manager and the guys like him.

Yeah, you don't always agree with his lineupes, but if we actually had a pitching staff this year, and went without all the injuries to key players, Miley's job wouldn't have looked so hard (or appearently, it's just too easy according to some people on this board). Give him more than a year and a half with scrubs. Get him a real pitching staff, Dano.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Moot point. No way that this club pays Lou the $2M/yr he would want to work in Cincinnati. You'll needlessly raise your own blood pressure wishing for things that the Reds can't afford.

We need to clarify something here. Is it that the Reds can't afford $2M/yr for Lou or is it that they won't part with the $2M/yr for him? I think we all know what the true answer is here.

Bottom line is Miley had to work with a weak bench, no real starting pitching, a bullpen that imploded the second half of the season, and once again a key injury to the most important player on the team.

If the Reds spent 10 million more instead of cutting 10 million on the payroll, I think we would have seen a world of difference.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

It's official: Miley back for '05

Monday, September 6, 2004
    It's official: Miley back for '05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GM O'Brien says rest of coaching staff will return, too

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

MILWAUKEE - Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said Sunday what he has hinted at for the last month or so:

Dave Miley and his staff will be back for 2005.

"As we have said from Day 1, I think Dave and his staff have done an excellent job and our intent to continue with that staff as a group is going forward," O'Brien said.

This year's staff includes hitting coach Chris Chambliss, third base coach Mark Berry, first base coach Randy Whisler, pitching coach Don Gullett, bullpen coach Tom Hume and bench coach Jerry Narron.

Miley, 42, signed a one-year contract with a club option for 2005 when he was named the permanent manager Dec. 4, 2003.

O'Brien has said all season that Miley's situation would be dealt with after the season.

But it has become clear in the last month or so that O'Brien was going to keep Miley and his staff.

The Reds haven't played as well as Miley or O'Brien would have liked. The Reds stood at 63-73 after Sunday's win over Milwaukee. But the club was 46-40 and in the thick of the wild-card race when outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. was lost for the season.

With a young team - the Reds start four players under 25 and they only have one starting pitcher over 27 - O'Brien measures success by rate of improvement.

"I think our staff - individually and collectively - are as good a teaching unit as there is in the game," O'Brien said. "We work on things every day. I think the players not only understand it, they appreciate it.

"(The staff's) goal is to make every single player better every day. I'm very proud of our staff."

Chambliss, Whisler and Narron were hired by Miley.

Chambliss gets a lot of credit for the improvement of outfielder Adam Dunn and emergence of outfielder Wily Mo Pena. Whisler, who coaches infield defense, has made progress with second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez and shortstop Felipe Lopez.

"There's been improvement in a lot of different areas," O'Brien said. "The challenge is to carry forth that consistently through 162 games. You see streaks and periods (where the) execution level is where it needs to be. Then you see stretches where we're a little short."

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: It's official: Miley back for '05

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    a bullpen that imploded the second half of the season,
    Krusty
    You could have left out these words: "the second half of the season"
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Turn Off Ads?