Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miley back for the '05 season

Re: Miley back for the '05 season

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Yea, why would be he considered a good manager, he's only got a a few world series rings and few 100+ win seasons in the last 5 or 6 years.
    Rather than , explain why your point proves he is a good manager? Is there something dramatically different that he started doing that turned him from a career .471 winning percentage, or do you just assume he is a good manager based on the success of his teams? In other words, Sparky went on to become very successful in another organization with many players that had been in that organization for years and never won, like Trammel and Whitaker, and many castoffs and veterans that had some major league success but were generally not a part of winning orgs, like Johnny Grubb and Darrell Evans. Torre, on the other hand, did not do that well in three different organizations, but has won a lot with the Yankees. That should tell one that Torre is very dependant on his talent for his success, as are most major league managers. The same could have been said of Sparky if he had not gone on to Detroit and had success building a championship ballclub there. But it became clear that he was also a very important ingredient in the mix both places. Same for Piniella. I'm not sure that's true of Torre.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ODERED
    Because managers like Miley hold a team meeting once in a blue moon, and patting players on the butt. Managers like Piniella DEMAND that you perform, and when you don't, you will be sitting on the bench for a long, long time. Managers like Piniella have balls, and have a way of getting ownership, CEO's and accountants to make financial moves to better the ballclub. Managers like Miley are just "glad to have a job".
    Ok, three straight posts, ranting incoherently, this looks very familiar, like a poster named Eric Davis

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Ok, three straight posts, ranting incoherently, this looks very familiar, like a poster named Eric Davis
    It's definitely not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    It's definitely not him.
    Definitely not. But tremere never could spell "ridiculous".

Bruce Wayne signing off.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

REDS in 2005 under Miley: 70-92

Don't you guys/gals remember waaay back in May and June when the Reds were doing good and everyone in here was debating about getting that option for next year on Miley? Then the news/sports media picked up on it. And Dan's response to all those questions from the news/sports media was that he wouldn't discuss any contracts until the end of the season.

While I was coming back from the lake, guess the topic on the radio? Why Dan O'Brien changed his mind and gave Miley his option year already when all season Dan said he wouldn't discuss it until after the season was over.

I don't mind it, it just seemed contradictory to his comments all year. Which brought to mind, does this open up contract talks with others like Larkin and Wilson.

Which was the other topic on the radio.
    Last edited by CougarQuest; 09-06-2004 at 09:35 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BallBuster
    The 'negotiating' level of Miley's and the coaches contracts is probably somewhere between little and none. DanO tells them that their contracts will be renewed at x amount of dollars if they are interested. They say "yes" and "thank you" as the process for each man takes about 30 seconds.
    Thank you - that's what I was trying to say earlier and you put it into better words.

This wasn't a negotiation. The club held the cards and they played them. Miley or Miley's rep didn't take part in it.

ODERED

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Definitely not. But tremere never could spell "ridiculous".

Bruce Wayne signing off.
    Ah, Steel, where's the LOOOOVVVEEEEEE?

Quote Originally Posted by ODERED
    Ah, Steel, where's the LOOOOVVVEEEEEE?
    ODERED=tremere=NEILYNG

Not hard. And as for your claims of being a "new poster"? If you were new, you'd address me as "SteelSD". See, the abbreviated "Steel" is a term bourne of familiarity. You made the same mistake a couple days ago when you called KronoRed "Krono" in a thread.

Those little mistakes, coupled with your continued misspelling- "rediculous"- made it pretty easy to figure out.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    Yeah, you don't always agree with his lineupes, but if we actually had a pitching staff this year, and went without all the injuries to key players, Miley's job wouldn't have looked so hard (or appearently, it's just too easy according to some people on this board).
    All managers jobs are easy when the team is healthy! I sign of a good manager is he gives his team the best chance to win when there is injuries and by batting Castro 20% of the time doesn't not and never will give your team the best chance to win!

Plus there is a reason all the players like him is because he expects so little from them. He is just happy to be a MLB player and that is all he expects his players to be.

This to me is DanO taking the easy way out which appears to be his MO. All the media love Miley so it will make his life easier if the media are not gunning after him so he can keep his job as long as possibele. DanO is just happy to be a MLB GM. :dflynn:

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    But what happened to not talking about contracts until the season is over? Does this put Dan in a position to talk contract with Larkin and others?
    I was thinking the same thing , Cougar.

I guess we can file that comment along with, "I have no intention of trading Lidle and/or Wilson".

In other words, when DanO actually gives some information out, it's more than likely false.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Why did Dan O'Brien change his mind and give Miley his option year when all season Dan said he wouldn't discuss it until after the season was over?

Maybe Uncle Carl changed his mind for him.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 09-07-2004 at 03:30 PM.

i'm not thrilled w/ miley's handling of the pitchers but there is something to be made for orginizational consistency, especially after all of last years FO and Player movement. i think that the risk of further alienating the young players was too great to make a change as miley has not done an awful job. i think giving him the opportunity for a second year is the fair thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    i'm not thrilled w/ miley's handling of the pitchers but there is something to be made for orginizational consistency, especially after all of last years FO and Player movement. i think that the risk of further alienating the young players was too great to make a change as miley has not done an awful job. i think giving him the opportunity for a second year is the fair thing to do.

And that is true, of course. And maybe I'm being to ambitious about this whole thing. Miley is miles ahead of Boone, so we're at least better off than last year. And maybe we should get him some players and see what he can do. Nevertheless, I want to see some real moves this off season in the personnel department. No manager should have to put up with the TVP's and (name who you want) on a pitching staff. If I hope for one thing, it's that we go totally youth. No more retreads!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

i don't know how it works in baseball but in my dream world danO sits miley down for his yearly review and asks him to work on more intelligent usage of OBP in lineup construction and a little more situational savvy with the bullpen. then next year miley would be judged on his ability to improve.

Turn Off Ads?