Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miley back for the '05 season

Queen Christine

Re: Miley back for the '05 season

I for one, am really happy that Miley is back. You can't be held accountable for a bad team. In order for ANY manager to be successful in Cincinnati, you need better players. Plain and simple.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, one less soap opera for Reds Zone to write about over the last month of the season.

Glad DanO made the decision earlier instead of later.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

But what happened to not talking about contracts until the season is over? Does this put Dan in a position to talk contract with Larkin and others?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I like the decision being made now. No sense in hanging it out there.

I've seen Miley doing some smart moves of late, managing for next year rather than trying to save his bacon for this year, such as marching Felipe Lopez out there every day whether Larkin is healthy or not.

I don't see any other managers out there who would be willing to work with as little as the Reds have for as little money. Miley's had some ups and downs, enough to warrant another year. If it doesn't work out after next season, you cut your losses and move on.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    But what happened to not talking about contracts until the season is over? Does this put Dan in a position to talk contract with Larkin and others?
    I don't think it was a discussion, so much as it was a club option for next year. O'Brien had to make the decision to say yes or no to the option. That's not really a contract discussion. The contract is already signed.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I don't think it was a discussion, so much as it was a club option for next year. O'Brien had to make the decision to say yes or no to the option. That's not really a contract discussion. The contract is already signed.
    But Dan said he wouldn't talk about it previously until the season was over, now he's done an about face.

What is nice about this is this gives Dan O'Brien all off season to work on players. And the players that are here and free agents who will be contacted know who the manager/coaches are immediately.

But Dan said he wouldn't talk about it previously until the season was over, now he's done an about face.
    My understanding is that was for contract talks with players. Like a previous poster said, this was about picking up an option on a signed contract anyhoo. Far be it from me to let an opportunity to hair split go by

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

About freakin' time

What happened to the non-negotiations of contracts during the season? Oh, they contradicted themselves again

Typical -- but when Paul Wilson signs elsewhere in the offseaon, DanO will look more like an idiot than he already does for not trading him when the oppourtunity was there
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-06-2004 at 12:30 PM.

Yep. Just this past Saturday (Sept. 4), George and Chris had O'Brien in the booth with them for an inning. And they asked him if the situation with Miley was still the same, that a decision wouldn't be made about picking up his option until after the season. O'Brien said yes, the situation was still the same, and that a decision would be made after the season is over.

Good for him.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

OK...let me get this straight.

A team or business is doing poorly. You need something to shake it up. In most cases, you see a change in personnel and definitely a change in leadership. Not here.

I have said that I have no problem with Miley coming back, but I didn't see him leading this team (or any team) to a World Series. I still believe that. But, unless some big changes are made on the personnel front, it doesn't make any difference anyway. Yes, Lou or Joe Torre could have us over .500 even with our personnel, but what good would that do. We'd still be watching the WS on TV anyway.

I'm looking for some changes from DanO. If we don't see any, expect the same thing next year--a fast start and a slow drop to the cellar.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The 'negotiating' level of Miley's and the coaches contracts is probably somewhere between little and none. DanO tells them that their contracts will be renewed at x amount of dollars if they are interested. They say "yes" and "thank you" as the process for each man takes about 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan

A team or business is doing poorly. You need something to shake it up. In most cases, you see a change in personnel and definitely a change in leadership. Not here.
    Maybe you're referring to ownership here, but I'll just add the obligatory reminder that "leadership" just changed last year (in DanO and Miley).

And I fail to see how Lou or Torre could have the Reds over .500 with this staff. How do you (and others) figure that?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan

I have said that I have no problem with Miley coming back, but I didn't see him leading this team (or any team) to a World Series. I still believe that. But, unless some big changes are made on the personnel front, it doesn't make any difference anyway. Yes, Lou or Joe Torre could have us over .500 even with our personnel, but what good would that do. We'd still be watching the WS on TV anyway.

I'm looking for some changes from DanO. If we don't see any, expect the same thing next year--a fast start and a slow drop to the cellar.
    When did Joe Torre become a good manager?

Pre-NYY Record 894-1003, a smooth .471 winning percentage. Guess he must have suddenly become a genius after three prior mediocre to bad stints?
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-06-2004 at 02:08 PM.

Turn Off Ads?