Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

He brought this on himself by having the club cancel "Barry Larkin Day" and announcing his intention to consider playing next year. When he did that, he forfeited any "right" to play out the season. DanO wants... no... needs to move the club in a new direction and a 41 year-old SS isn't part of those plans. I agree it's an ugly reality and a shame it happened this way, but I'm not sympathetic. Let him get those milestones elsewhere.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Good lord. I like Barry as much as the next guy, but he needs to realize that the Reds are more than just him. Barry, you are not "The Future." If he loves the club so much, why is he so upset at the club for trying to make his heir the best SS he can be? IIRC, back at the beginning of the season Larkin was talking his game about playing part-time and being on the club to show Lopez the ropes. I thought that was noble of him - this is petulant.

Let it go, Barry. Please. You're endearing yourself to nobody.

I too am getting tired of the annual "Barry is hurt and disapointed story." He needs to realize that this club needs to move on.

I guess he keeps playing this up to the media because it seems to work for him every time he does it.

The self-proclaimed Icon is a cancer to the Reds clubhouse; always has been and always will be. I will never forgive him for ripping his captain's "C" off of his uniform in protest over a trade. I'm waiting for the Icon to invite George Vogel or Ken Broo into his rental property (remember, the Cincinnati Icon hasn't lived here for over 12 years) and make a last minute plea to he fans and Carl Lindner to step in on his behalf, just as he did last year. I know for a fact that John Allen felt completely betrayed when Lindner intervened and brought the Icon back for 2004, so I bet he's licking his chops to bring the axe down now. As for the Icon in a front office role; well, he's had 20 years of experience in that area with his open door access to Jim Bowden and Carl Lindner, but would you want a person in your inner circle who has proven time and time again to be a divisive influence?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRule30
    Larkin needs those 25 more games more than Machado to bolster his HOF chances.
    If Barry Larkin's HOF induction depends on these last 25 games, then he ain't gonna make it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Thunder
    I depends which way you look at it.

"They said they want to see Machado and Felipe Lopez splitting time at shortstop, but I think it's just their way of not letting me get out there to show what I can do this last month of the season," Larkin said.

To me, this remark sounds a bit selfish - which just might be the cause of frustration - as Larkin is not the future shortstop for the Reds. But Lopez or Machado could be.
    My take on it too RT. When I read the article this morning in the Dayton Daily News I said to myself... "Here's Barry running to the media again and whining about his playing time, and not what is best for this team's future." I love ya Barry....BUT SHUT UP!!

You have to play Lopez consistently to see what we got. Benching him even once or twice a week so that Barry can play is not gonna do him any good, and Barry should realize this.

I stated over a year ago that the only way that they'd get Larkin out of that SS position was to have someone go out there on the field and drag him off kicking and screaming. Because a guy who spent most of his career being an unselfish player has become a selfish one over these last few years IMO. And I'm getting tired of it.

Bow out gracefully Barry, and preserve your good standing with this organization and the fans.

And again.... SHUT UP!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Doesn't sound very good for his chances at landing a front office job after he retires.
    His chances of getting a FO job were zero with Allen in charge anyway.

If Machado is the future, the future is pretty scary. I think the Reds owe it to the ticket holders to put their best team on the field. If the Reds are going to show Barry the door next year, they have the entire 2005 season to show us Machado and Lopez.

Barry has said numerous times that he really doesn't care if he makes the HOF or not. This isn't about Barry trying to get some magical milestone for the HOF. Even the people that dislike Barry must admit that Larkin in the lineup is better than Machado (hands down), and at least arguably better than Lopez.

I hope Barry does go to another team next year, so he can leave the game with some pride and respect, instead of being crapped on by DanO and Allen.
    I really don't know why he wanted to come back here this year, after they treated him so poorly.

Barry's only "mistake" was telling the truth and calling out this lame franchise for having no interest in trying to win.

Also, if Lark plays elsewhere next year, I doubt it hurts his HOF chances at all. It's not like he's going to leave on some money grab. He's being forced to leave. Even if he has a terrible year, it won't hurt him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

RR,

How is Barry being "crapped on" or treated poorly??
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 09-08-2004 at 09:55 AM.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Bring Barry back to the Reds next year but not for anything over 1.2 million. He could be the Manny Mota pinch hitting expert. Larkin can still swing the bat and come up with some clutch hits especially late in the game. One of the biggest problem with the Reds was a weak bench.

As far as the everyday shortstop, I think Felipe Lopez has shown that he is ready to take over. With help from coaches Chamblis and Whisler, Lopez has improved on his hitting and fielding, and there is no reason why he can't be the everyday shortstop next season?

Machado? Why not take a look at him. Castro is a free agent and will probably be asking more than the Reds are willing to play. Maybe he can replace Castro defensively off the bench. IMO, Olmedo would be the better choice but why he isn't up here too has me scratching my head.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Wednesday, September 8, 2004

Larkin's told to sit on bench
    O'Brien claims Reds captain supportive of diminished role
    By John FayEnquirer staff writer

HOUSTON - Anderson Machado, fresh up from Triple-A Louisville, was in the starting lineup for the Reds on Tuesday night.

With Felipe Lopez getting the bulk of the time at shortstop before Machado arrived, where does that leave Barry Larkin? As a pinch-hitter for the rest of the year.

"The majority of the playing time is going to go to Machado and Lopez," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said. "We met with Barry today and told him that. He was supportive."

The Reds are looking for a permanent replacement for Larkin, 40, who has been a fixture at shortstop for the Reds since 1986.

That does not mean that Larkin will not return to the Reds next year. He is a free agent after this season.

"This situation - with Machado and Lopez - doesn't affect next year with Barry," O'Brien said.

Larkin originally planned to make this season his last. But in July he asked the club to cancel a planned Barry Larkin Day.

Larkin has not decided whether he'll play next season. O'Brien says the club will deal with free agents, including Larkin, after the season.

Larkin has not started a game since Friday in Milwaukee. He has not started on back-to-back days since Aug. 10-11. In the 24 games since then, Larkin has started only five.

Part of that is because of the way Lopez is playing. Part of that is because Larkin has been dealing with a strained oblique muscle. The injury doesn't bother him at the plate - he has 15 hits in his last 43 at-bats (.349) - but it limits his range in the field.

The Reds have an opening at shortstop and third base for next year. Lopez started at third Tuesday.

To think Machado, 23, would be ready to play regularly next year could be wishful thinking. He hit .228 with six home runs and 38 RBI in 109 Triple-A games. He looked overmatched against Roy Oswalt on Tuesday. He struck out on three pitches in his first two at-bats, and on five pitches his third time up.

Lopez, 24, is a more realistic possibility. He went into Tuesday hitting .291 with five home runs and 17 RBI in his last 36 games.

http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/09/08/red1barry.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Queen Christine

Wow.... this team is rediculous. Why would you tell someone that their services are no longer needed?... This team has a problem with injuries, and i realize that Barry isn't 100% but he is battling thru it and he wants to play, and when he is playing he is producing. I just don't understand why they would do that. :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRule30
    Playing Lopez and Machado in the final 25 games isn't going to prove anything.
    Not true. While it will not prove if they can handle it next year, it can prove that they are not in any sense ready for the bigs.

The Astros had the book on Machado. Throw breaking balls and he has no chance. He never even fouled one off. He couldn't have hit them with an ironing board. I think these last 3 weeks will prove that Machado is hopelessly overmatched as a hitter.

I never quite understood the Machado pickup anyway. My only thought is that he would be an alternative to Castro next year... But I thought we had Ray O for that???

IF Lopez is deemed the SS of the future, and Olmedo is the next "Manos De Oro" then why Machado..... UNLESS the Phillies forced him as a throw-in. (We'll give you Hancock for Lidle, but you've got to take Machado off our hands too)

If Juan Castro keeps getting at bats and Barry Larkin can't i'm gonna scream. I pray for the day Juan Castro is off this team. It's an absolute joke.

What goes around comes around,
    Barry, don't look back when you hear that sound.
    What goes around comes around,
    And it won't be long till it all comes down

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    RR,

How is Barry being "crapped on" or treated poorly??
    He's EARNED playing time this year, but DanO is benching him the rest of the season in favor of Machado and Castro. With 3b open, Larkin and Lopez could both play. Machado and Castro do not deserve playing time over Larkin.

It's absurd to bench Larkin with the year he's had when healthy.

The excuse of "the future" is bogus. If that's the case, then why give Wilson, Castro, and arguably LaRue/Jimmez any playing time? They're not here for the long term either.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?