Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/9605888.htm?1c

Looks like the end of an era has been reached. Sad day in Reds history.

Reds to bench Larkin for rest of season

Daily News Wire Services

Barry Larkin's name won't be found in Cincinnati's starting lineup for the rest of the season and the Reds' captain is disappointed and hurt by the news.

And, the 40-year-old Larkin said he believes it is the team's way of showing him the clubhouse door.

Larkin was summoned to general manager Dan O'Brien's suite at the team hotel in Houston yesterday morning and was told his starting services were no longer required.

Larkin revealed the news before last night's 9-7 loss to the Astros. He said he had expected to play the rest of the season.

Larkin is hitting .300 for his 327 at-bats this season over 98 games and has made only four errors.

Instead of Larkin facing Houston's Roy Oswalt last night, it was 23-year-old Anderson Machado making his major-league starting and hitting debut. Machado, who the Reds got from the Phillies on July 31 as part of the deal for reliever Todd Jones, was 0-4 and stuck out three times.

"They said they want to see Machado and Felipe Lopez splitting time at shortstop, but I think it's just their way of not letting me get out there to show what I can do this last month of the season," Larkin said. "That'll make it easier for them this offseason."

Asked if this meant anything as far as Larkin's future with the Reds, O'Brien said, "No, not really. This is more about the fact that we need to see if either Felipe or Machado can be a starting major-league shortstop or a combination."
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 09-08-2004 at 03:46 AM.

Re: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

Larkin earned the right to start at SS at least 3 times per week. Larkin does well when he starts. Check the stats. Playing Lopez and Machado in the final 25 games isn't going to prove anything. Wow. 25 games.

It is going to take Larkin 10 tries to make the HOF. He is close to reaching milestones such as George Davis' 451 doubles, career 200 hrs, Reese and Aparicio's runs scored, etc.

Glenn Braggs

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRule30
    Larkin earned the right to start at SS at least 3 times per week. Larkin does well when he starts. Check the stats. Playing Lopez and Machado in the final 25 games isn't going to prove anything. Wow. 25 games.
    I depends which way you look at it.

"They said they want to see Machado and Felipe Lopez splitting time at shortstop, but I think it's just their way of not letting me get out there to show what I can do this last month of the season," Larkin said.

To me, this remark sounds a bit selfish - which just might be the cause of frustration - as Larkin is not the future shortstop for the Reds. But Lopez or Machado could be.

If you state that playing Machado / Lopez 25 games means nothing, why should another 25 starts for Larkin mean something? And why are decisions each spring based on about 25 exhibition games? The games til October are meaningless for the Reds, so I understand that the team wants to take a closer look at some players, who like in Machado's case would not have been given a shot if the Reds still were in the pennant race. Machado will get some experience, learn some more things from the hitting coach and get some more (and needed) at bats, as the AAA season is over. If Machado impresses the rest of the season, the Reds have a better basis what to do with him (re-signing or not). Granted, Larkin is a considerable better hitter than both Lopez and Machado, but the younger players need every extra at bat and experience in the field they can get.

25 games less played won't hurt Larkin's HOF chances, in my opinion. Either he is already in with his current lifetime stats or not. But creeping like in his case towards the next personal milestone while taking playing time away from his successors is something I do not welcome.

Larkin needs those 25 more games more than Machado to bolster his HOF chances. Larkin is 8th all-time in runs scored by a shortstop and can move up to 6th all-time with 10 more runs. Larkin is 3 hrs away from 200. He is 48 hits away from 98th all-time and tying Sandberg.

Larkin needs these milestones so he makes the HOF in 4-5 tries, rather than 9-10 tries.

I don't see how 25 games for Machado are going to magically prove that he is the shortstop of the future. Let Machado prove himself in spring training. His stats suck in the minors. Benching Larkin is a major insult. If Machado was an awesome shortstop prospect, then I would support it, but he clearly isn't. Lopez is the SS of the future, not Machado.

Also, I am stunned that Juan Castro has been stealing at-bats from Larkin even though Castro will probably leave as a free agent. Heck, even Darren Bragg has been stealing at-bats from Larkin by playing OF and forcing Freel to 3B and Lopez to SS. Larkin has to be pissed off.

I will be amazed if Machado is starting at SS and playing everyday in 2005. He better not be a Rey Ordonez clone (worst hitter in history with 3000+ at-bats).
    Last edited by RedsRule30; 09-08-2004 at 05:06 AM.

ODERED

I can understand players WANTING to make the Hall of Fame, but my personal belief is that it should be up to the HOF voters to decide that. Larkin's job is to do the best he can do, and if his performance career-wise warrants a vote into the HOF, that is great news. If not, at least he had a great career and I'm sure achieved many of his personal goals.

To me, tacking on 25 games for the sole reason of getting HOF status is the same as sitting out a bunch of games in order to preserve a high batting average, swinging for the fences on every single pitch in order to break a homerun record, moping all over the mound in order to throw off the timing of the hitter or to preserve energy.

Barry needs to just step away from the game, and enjoy life. He's still healthy. Any one injury could change all that. He'll have no problem at all finding work elsewhere in baseball. Just not as a player. His time has come.

I do think that a very small part of the front office's decsion to bench Larkin is due to the mistake they made in signing him to such a large contract at such a late point in his career, realizing that they should have all along put more effort into developing or acquiring someone to take Larkin's spot.

Stepping aside from my allegiance to the Reds, I can see how in some ways Barry might not make the HOF. Sadly, he played in between eras, between the wizard of Oz, and the power hitting shortstops that we see today. That isn't his fault, but there is no guarantee that HOF voters will see it the way we do. All they will see is the numbers.

Good luck, Barry, in all that you do in the future!

It's amazing how 50 rbis and hits can improve a player's HOF chances. I guarantee that if Tony Perez had 100 fewer rbis, he wouldn't be in the HOF. Perez's sole claim to making the HOF was having the most rbis for a non-HOF player.

Larkin will have fewer hits than Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker, and Ryne Sandberg (lock for HOF in 2005 or 2006 IMO). That is really going to hurt.

Why should a HOF voter select Larkin when Trammell and Whitaker aren't in the HOF? That is what some HOF voters are going to think.

With 48 more hits, Larkin moves from 110th all-time to 98th all-time and drastically improves HOF chances.

Machado is a mediocre hitting and fielding SS. My guess is that he may be moved to 2B if Jimenez gets non-tendered (good chance IMO).

Expected 2005 Reds lineup.

C: Larue (non-tendering Larue would be insanely stupid)
    1B: Casey
    2B: Machado (or Lopez, whatever)
    SS: Lopez
    3B: Freel (maybe Kearns, who knows)
    LF: Dunn
    CF: Pena
    RF: Griffey (maybe 1B if Casey traded)

Edit: I think Larkin is actually a lock due to his stats from 1988-2000 (11 all-stars and 9 silver sluggers). I just don't want to see him wait 8-9 years rather than 4-5 years. HOF voters like to make a player wait extra long if a borderline case. Larkin's injury history and missed games are going to look bad.
    Last edited by RedsRule30; 09-08-2004 at 05:34 AM.

Larkin needs those 25 more games more than Machado to bolster his HOF chances.
    If Barry Larkin's HOF induction depends on these last 25 games, then he ain't gonna make it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Thunder
    I depends which way you look at it.

"They said they want to see Machado and Felipe Lopez splitting time at shortstop, but I think it's just their way of not letting me get out there to show what I can do this last month of the season," Larkin said.

To me, this remark sounds a bit selfish - which just might be the cause of frustration - as Larkin is not the future shortstop for the Reds. But Lopez or Machado could be.
    My take on it too RT. When I read the article this morning in the Dayton Daily News I said to myself... "Here's Barry running to the media again and whining about his playing time, and not what is best for this team's future." I love ya Barry....BUT SHUT UP!!

You have to play Lopez consistently to see what we got. Benching him even once or twice a week so that Barry can play is not gonna do him any good, and Barry should realize this.

I stated over a year ago that the only way that they'd get Larkin out of that SS position was to have someone go out there on the field and drag him off kicking and screaming. Because a guy who spent most of his career being an unselfish player has become a selfish one over these last few years IMO. And I'm getting tired of it.

Bow out gracefully Barry, and preserve your good standing with this organization and the fans.

And again.... SHUT UP!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Playing Lopez and Machado in the final 25 games isn't going to prove anything.
    Not true. While it will not prove if they can handle it next year, it can prove that they are not in any sense ready for the bigs.

The Astros had the book on Machado. Throw breaking balls and he has no chance. He never even fouled one off. He couldn't have hit them with an ironing board. I think these last 3 weeks will prove that Machado is hopelessly overmatched as a hitter.

I have no problem, in theory, in benching Larkin, but there's no way that he should be benched in favor of Juan Castro, who for some reason keeps getting at bats.

Perhaps Barry will play (somewhere) next year and have a chance to gather those 50 hits and whatever else.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Perhaps Barry will play (somewhere) next year and have a chance to gather those 50 hits and whatever else.
    Agreed.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    If he does I believe he lessens his HOF chances. People dig the fact that he has been with one team his whole career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Doesn't sound very good for his chances at landing a front office job after he retires.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Doesn't sound very good for his chances at landing a front office job after he retires.
    Barry doesn't have much of a chance as long as JA is in charge IMO. He has made several disparaging remarks about the FO without naming names, but it was pretty clear the one most qualified to fit with the remarks was Allen. The article mentioned fielding is still tough for him with the abdominal injury, yet he makes a backhanded remark about being kept off the field. Like no one knows what Barry can still do. He is a real tool sometimes.

Turn Off Ads?