Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

Re: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

Also, why has Castro been stealing at-bats from Larkin all season long? I doubt Castro takes a pay cut to stay in Cincy. If 29 other teams don't make an offer to Castro, then what does that say about Castro? Is Castro a playoff caliber SS? I doubt it.

What are you talking about?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I almost hope Barry switches teams next year. Maybe then I can root for a contender. I understand wanting to get Lopez some playing time but it would make more sense to put him at 3rd. Machado is nowhere near ready for the big leagues offensively, he's not even ready for Triple-A offensively(in fact that sentence could apply to Castro as well).

On a personal note, I'd like to see my favorite player actually play in what may be his last(or one of his last) seasons.

Also I take issue with the people accusing Larkin of selfishness. I think his behavior over the years has shown a distinct lack of selfishness particularly when compared with the average MLB player.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin411
    Also I take issue with the people accusing Larkin of selfishness. I think his behavior over the years has shown a distinct lack of selfishness particularly when compared with the average MLB player.
    :agreed:
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Tell me I'm Cool

This thread seriously makes me sick to my stomach, you'd think 19 years of great service would be honored. Its almost like they are saying don't let the door hit you on the way out. As far as I know, Barry is the Reds.

The Reds didn't say they didn't need his services any more. It's they didn't want him starting any more the rest of the season, they want to try out the new kids and see how they handle MLB at positions they are trained for. Barry is nursing an injury still, but still capable of getting out there if really needed. I don't see what there is to get huffy about. Sounds like a logical plan to me. It's not like we are in the middle of a race to win post season play.

Is there any proof that Barry could handle 3rd base right now? Has he been taking infield practice there?

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the Reds want to see what they have and see which way Barry, Castro, Felipe, and Machago will fit in next year. Will Barry be spliting time at SS next year with Felipe or Machado, will Felipe and Machado split time at SS next year, will Barry be a utility player or will these two be a flop and we need to see if Barry will be the SS next for a majority of the games, will this show that Felipe is better suited for 3rd &/or Machado is better suited for 2nd?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If the Reds are so interested in benching Larkin in favor of some un-tested infielders, then they should have kept Larson (even the most fervent Larson detractors surely agree that Brandon is still un-tested) on that same infield.

I agree that the known quantities: Larkin, Castro, Freel, and perhaps Jimenez should sacrifice some PT to give Lopez what's left of September, but Larson should have been given September also.

Playing Larson would be more consistent about sitting veterans for the sake of potential or the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East
    If the Reds are so interested in benching Larkin in favor of some un-tested infielders, then they should have kept Larson (even the most fervent Larson detractors surely agree that Brandon is still un-tested) on that same infield.

I agree that the known quantities: Larkin, Castro, Freel, and perhaps Jimenez should sacrifice some PT to give Lopez what's left of September, but Larson should have been given September also.

Playing Larson would be more consistent about sitting veterans for the sake of potential or the future.
    IMHO, Larson has proven he is toast in MLB.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If that's what I was trying to say you'd be right.

But it isn't.
    Sorry West, I misinterpreted your point..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    If Barry can play and is playing better than others in his position, he should play. The Reds players still want to WIN even though their season is all but done... believe it or not, they have pride.

Put your best on the field... do the auditions in ST.
    But I want to see how kids like Lopez are going to do duiring the regiular season and against ML lineups. Not ST lineups that are filled with guys trying to make the roster or trying to get into shape.

Lets be realistic here. We are how many games out? Expand the roster now that we can and play some of these kids. No one is saying that Machado is the future. But it sure ain't hurting us to take a look-see at kids like this. That is all they are doing. Now is the time to be doing it. And it's not just the Reds doing it; but alot of teams around MLB, who are out of it, are doing the same thing.

The fans love and appreciate what Larkin has done during his illustrious career. No one can refute that. But I am tired of the controversy he seems to want to create these last few years. he is acting selfishly IMO, and is only thinking of his own best interests, and not the team's as a whole.

Bow out gracefully Barry is my advice.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Only the Reds would bench a SS that made the all star team and is hitting 298 with a 355 OBP in favor of crap like Machado and Castro.

All this proves is that DanO will hurt the team to play his little power trip.

I too hope that Larkin plays somewhere else next year. The Reds don't deserve him. :mad:
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    But I want to see how kids like Lopez are going to do duiring the regiular season and against ML lineups..
    Lopez can play 3b.

ODERED

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    IMHO, Larson has proven he is toast in MLB.
    He has with the Reds. Then again, what's the Reds' team batting average? :MandJ:

I bet that Brandon would be a better hitter on just about any other team. He just hasn't found the right hitting coach in the big leagues, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    But I want to see how kids like Lopez are going to do duiring the regiular season and against ML lineups. Not ST lineups that are filled with guys trying to make the roster or trying to get into shape.

Lets be realistic here. We are how many games out? Expand the roster now that we can and play some of these kids. No one is saying that Machado is the future. But it sure ain't hurting us to take a look-see at kids like this. That is all they are doing. Now is the time to be doing it. And it's not just the Reds doing it; but alot of teams around MLB, who are out of it, are doing the same thing.

The fans love and appreciate what Larkin has done during his illustrious career. No one can refute that. But I am tired of the controversy he seems to want to create these last few years. he is acting selfishly IMO, and is only thinking of his own best interests, and not the team's as a whole.

Bow out gracefully Barry is my advice.
    I love ya GAC, but I disagree. They should field the best team they have, especially against teams that are still in the race. And the rest of this team deserves their best chance to win, especially because of their miserable season. They've got to be humiliated suffering loss after loss after loss... to borrow a phrase, they deserve a chance "save face" during what's left of this waning, miserable season.

Yes, the minor leaguers should get a chance to play, but not every day. If I have to watch Machado again, I will scream. Why on earth should he be allowed to cut his teeth against Roger Clemons??

I still say ST is the place to audition your players.... they'll face their fare share of major league pitching in Florida.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

They should field the best team they have, especially against teams that are still in the race.
    Maybe they are?

Barry can't field as well as he used to, his range and arm are both below Lopez's.... who BTW sports a .287/.376/.492 line post AS game.

Hopefully this Castro in the lineup nonsense will go away once WMP is healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?