Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

Re: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

Sorry RedRead but Larkin also is not playing regularly and was happy a few weeks ago to be just pinch hitting, and seemed UPSET! that the Reds wanted him to do some fielding practice.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    What goes around comes around,
    Barry, don't look back when you hear that sound.
    What goes around comes around,
    And it won't be long till it all comes down

Yeah, Castro and Machado are certainly as well thought of as Stilwell and Larkin were in 1987
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Yeah, Castro and Machado are certainly as well thought of as Stilwell and Larkin were in 1987
    If that's what I was trying to say you'd be right.

But it isn't.

Circle of life.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Circle of life.

I agree.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Larkin? Selfish? NO!!! You must be joking!

(sarcasm OFF)

As noted more than once before, Larkin's exit from Cincinnati will NOT be graceful. He'll go out like Ozzie Smith did--bitter, spiteful, and in denial.

Also:

"They said they want to see Machado and Felipe Lopez splitting time at shortstop, but I think it's just their way of not letting me get out there to show what I can do this last month of the season," Larkin said. "That'll make it easier for them this offseason."
    Please note that this quote did NOT appear in either of the Cincinnati papers. According to the Post and the Enquirer, Larkin was completely supportive of the decision. Whoops. He's got the local press in his pocket.

God forbid this guy ever gets anywhere near the Reds front office.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I agree.
    With?

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    With?

Actually nothing - i just wanted to post something on the basball side - why, wanna argue about it
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Actually nothing - i just wanted to post something on the basball side - why, wanna argue about it
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Time is the Revelator.

ODERED

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    He's EARNED playing time this year, but DanO is benching him the rest of the season in favor of Machado and Castro. With 3b open, Larkin and Lopez could both play. Machado and Castro do not deserve playing time over Larkin.

It's absurd to bench Larkin with the year he's had when healthy.

The excuse of "the future" is bogus. If that's the case, then why give Wilson, Castro, and arguably LaRue/Jimmez any playing time? They're not here for the long term either.
    It's time to move on. Barry is old. Mark it down, he wouldn't be playing nearly as much next year as he has this year. How many games has he played this year while being hurt? A bunch. Sure, he can get on base late in games, but what the Reds need is a SS that can play the whole game, most of the season. Not a player who comes back from each injury with a "I'm feeling better than I ever have". I really, REALLY wanted to see Barry retire as a Red (may still happen), but I can't forgive the way he robbed them blind just awhile back with that large-market salary.

this decision is about the team and what's in the team's interest in the future -- Barry is the past -- we need to get over it and if he can't see beyond his stats and hof prospects that's his problem.

If Barry can play and is playing better than others in his position, he should play. The Reds players still want to WIN even though their season is all but done... believe it or not, they have pride.

Put your best on the field... do the auditions in ST.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I think it is a major insult benching Larkin for the final 25 games even though he is one of the best hitters on the team. So management needs to play Machado in the final 25 games to determine if he is the SS of the future? 25 games is nothing. Look at Larson. It takes at least 162 games to evaluate a player.

Also, why has Castro been stealing at-bats from Larkin all season long? I doubt Castro takes a pay cut to stay in Cincy. If 29 other teams don't make an offer to Castro, then what does that say about Castro? Is Castro a playoff caliber SS? I doubt it.
    Last edited by RedsRule30; 09-08-2004 at 05:34 PM.

Turn Off Ads?