Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

Re: O'Brien to Larkin: "Your starting services are no longer needed"

Quote Originally Posted by ODERED
    I bet that Brandon would be a better hitter on just about any other team. He just hasn't found the right hitting coach in the big leagues, yet.
    If by any other team you mean Indianapolis or Buffalo or Louisville or Memphis or Nashville then I would agree with you. As for finding the right hitting coach it surely isn't because of a lack of trying. We've had 3 different hitting coaches here the last 3 seasons. Should the Reds just keep hiring hitting coach after hitting coach until they can find one that can make Brandon into a major league hitter? By the time they find one, Brandon may be ready to retire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can't believe anyone has watched Chamblis this year and doesn't think he's a good hitting coach.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I can't believe anyone has watched Chamblis this year and doesn't think he's a good hitting coach.
    Send that man a BEER!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Obviously he isn't since Brandon Larson still can't hit big league pitching. It sure can't be Brandon's fault.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Larkin should play at SS and Lopez should play at 3B. Castro has no future with the Reds since he is a free agent. If the Reds outbid 29 other teams for Castro, then I will be amazed. Machado can play 2B if Jimenez is non-tendered next year.

You are joking with the outbid comment I assume?

Castro is worth bringing back only as a backup. I think Jimenez will get non-tendered for sure. That saves the Reds 3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Maybe they are?

Barry can't field as well as he used to, his range and arm are both below Lopez's.... who BTW sports a .287/.376/.492 line post AS game.
    Actually, I didn't necessarily mean Barry in what I wrote.

That said, you may be right. But I don't think Machado on the field or, especially, in the lineup is putting the best players on the field.

In addition, right or wrong, I'm less concerned about fielding than hitting at this point.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I, for one, think Jiminez does ok at second base and is more than ok in the lineup. Before Machado is put anywhere, he needs to earn it.

And Chambliss better work with him a whole lot before he gets a daily slot in the lineup.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

ODERED

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    If by any other team you mean Indianapolis or Buffalo or Louisville or Memphis or Nashville then I would agree with you. As for finding the right hitting coach it surely isn't because of a lack of trying. We've had 3 different hitting coaches here the last 3 seasons. Should the Reds just keep hiring hitting coach after hitting coach until they can find one that can make Brandon into a major league hitter? By the time they find one, Brandon may be ready to retire.
    You have a great point. Brandon's met a lot of hitting coaches. The problem I have is that I don't think he has met the right one, yet. Just because Chambliss comes from the Yankees doesn't make him Mr. Godalmighty Hitting Coach. Remember, the Yankees (what everyone is beginning to see now) are in phase 1 of their slide into mediocrity.

Why? They traded away their farm talent for expensive stars, and now those stars are aging and the teams those stars came from don't want them back. The Yankees have been great because of the hitters they acquired from elsewhere, not because Chambliss polished them. The Reds really need to go out and spend the money on the best coaches and management possible, but they won't. They don't have the money.

You get what you pay for, so to speak. That is why I think that Brandon, should he be lucky enough to land on another big league club in North America or Canada, could turn into something.

Another thing to think about is that more than one player (if you believe the posters on here who say they talk to the players) in the Reds organization has said he doesn't like the front office. Could that be a problem of Brandon's, him letting something going on off the field affect what he does on the field?

Quote Originally Posted by ODERED
    Brandon's met a lot of hitting coaches. The problem I have is that I don't think he has met the right one, yet.
    A guy who's supposedly good enough to be in the big show shouldn't need to go through a bevy of hitting coaches. Isn't it the BIG LEAGUE hitting coach's job to tweak a batter's weak points, rather than have to teach them how to hit at the big league level?

If all those coaches haven't tweaked him by now, I'm afraid it's to late for him to be tweaked. Though I do wish him good luck, because I like him.

Word of the day = tweaked.

Machado will be on the roster next season for sure. He is out of options. I expect him to be a utility player or maybe replace Jimenez to save the Reds money. The Reds pitching sucks and needs help.

I think Jimenez will get non-tendered for sure. That saves the Reds 3 million.
    Consideration of non-tenuring Jimenez reminds us just how the small market teams like the Reds are forced to operate.

Any big leaguer of D'Angelo's calibre is cheap at $3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRule30
    Machado will be on the roster next season for sure. He is out of options. I expect him to be a utility player or maybe replace Jimenez to save the Reds money. The Reds pitching sucks and needs help.
    Yeah, and I think Lopez is out of options too. Not sure about Olmedo, but he
    might be out of options as well. That might be your 3 middle infielders next year.

I'm also guessing that Jimmeniz is going to be sacrificed to "meet the budget". Not happy about it either. But since they were unwilling to pay Walker in the 3 million range, I doubt they will pay Jimmeniz that much either.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Far East
    Any big leaguer of D'Angelo's calibre is cheap at $3 million.
    not cheap. Actual value, perhaps.

The Reds need to find players that play above their contracts, while spending big on impact players. Jimenez isn't an impact player

you can keep a few players that play as well as they're paid, but they should fill holes, not create excesses. A pitcher that not only makes $3mill but pitches like he should make $3mill would be a better fit for the Reds
    Last edited by princeton; 09-09-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Turn Off Ads?