Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dont leave a large enough tip? You'll be arrested.

Re: Dont leave a large enough tip? You'll be arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    But, don't you guys think servers should get more that $2.15 an hour?
    This may have changed since my wife was a waitress, but if a restaurant is not part of a chain business (such as a privately owned restaurant), and where tips comprise a part of that person's salary, they are not under the minimum wage law/guidelines.

Plus, at tax time, they have to claim a certain percentage level of their tips as income. Not sure anymore what that level is though. But if you figure in tip income, most are making above minumum wage.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

But, don't you guys think servers should get more that $2.15 an hour?
    Yes they should, I have a friend who does payroll who told me about the system in place, it really reeks if you ask me..but she did tell me that if the server fails to get about a certain amount of tips that they restaurant will pay them enough to get them up to a minimum wage scale
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Thunder
    Thanks for the info, Unassisted

I just listed Pizza Hut as an example as it is sometimes the case here, that you order your meal by one waiter, another one brings it to you and after you finished again someone else is presenting you with the bill. It sounds odd, but at two places I went to this was the case.
    That's not odd at all, Red Thunder. I've been to many restaurants where you have your order taken by one person and another person serves you the meal. I always wondered who gets the tip in that situation. Usually the person you order from is the one who presents the bill though.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

As a public service to my fellow posters, here are a couple of excerpts from the official Department of Labor factsheet on restaurant wages:

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs2.htm

Tips may be considered as part of wages, but the employer must pay not less than $2.13 an hour in direct wages and make sure that the amount of tips received is enough to meet the remainder of the minimum wage.

Tips: Tipped employees are those who customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips. Employees must be informed in advance if the employer elects to use the tip credit, the amount of tip credit to be claimed, and the employer must be able to show that employees receive at least the applicable minimum wage when wages and tips are combined. Also, employees must retain all of their tips, except in the case of valid tip pool arrangements.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    But if you figure in tip income, most are making above minumum wage.
    That's really my point. Servers should not have to rely on tips to earn a fair wage. A tip to me is a bonus for a job well done. It's an acknowledgement, a gift even. A fair wage should be the responsibility of the owner, not the patrons.

I want to tip for good service, but I don't want to feel I NEED to tip because the server isn't get paid what they should be. I just don't like the system.

I don't think it would put the owner out of business. There are plenty of successful stores, small businesses and even counter service restaurants where tipping isn't a norm.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

I want to tip for good service, but I don't want to feel I NEED to tip because the server isn't get paid what they should be. I just don't like the system.
    But the system must be working, because restaurants are able to find people willing to work as waitstaff. Sometimes holding the job for many years!

http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/sto...05022703.shtml
    New Yorker Bill DeLong, 84, was fired three years ago from his longtime job as a waiter at a Shea Stadium restaurant, but he continues to seek out charitable volunteer assignments and still works as a waiter occasionally at special events.
    /r/reds

That's really my point. Servers should not have to rely on tips to earn a fair wage. A tip to me is a bonus for a job well done. It's an acknowledgement, a gift even. A fair wage should be the responsibility of the owner, not the patrons.
    Waiting tables is a well-known way to make easy money. Well, not "easy," but cash daily, and lots of it.

There is no shortage of people who choose to work for tips. They must be happy with the system.

Doubling or tripling the single largest expense of business owners who already typically have only single-digit profit margins would wipe out scores of businesses and put untold numbers of people out of work.

If the importance of tipping is diminished, where is the incentive for the better servers to go to the better restaurants, since their wages would remain flat? Where is the incentive for any server to provide good service without knowing that a tip is on the line?

What do we do about cab drivers, who also live on tips? Or sky caps? Or bartenders? Or (gulp) strippers?

In some ways our system of tipping certain workers and not others seems a bit random. But that's the system, and plenty of people are happy to tip and others to work for tips. That's good enough for me.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Plus, at tax time, they have to claim a certain percentage level of their tips as income. Not sure anymore what that level is though. But if you figure in tip income, most are making above minumum wage.
    I was a waiter for awhile. At least in the state I worked in, they were supposed to look at your total receipts and then if you declared an amount of tips that was too low, they'd "assess" you more tips. For example, if you served $200 worth of food and only declared $2 in tips, they might assess you with $16 (I think 8% was the minimum threshhold they assumed, but I'm not positive).

So if you got stiffed on a big ticket, not only were out the income, but you had to pay taxes on the "phantom tip".

And yes, on slow nights, you'd definitely make less than minimum wage. And this was back when minimum wage was less than $4/hour.
    The nights when you made good money were generally the nights when other waiters didn't show up, and since the staff was short handed, you had way more tables than you should. (And thus service suffered).
    But these people definitely aren't getting rich, that's for sure. So be generous.

Also, some resturants are on a "Team" system where all the tips get pooled and divided among the staff. That's why you might have a different person refill you drinks, bring your food, and take your order. It's actually a good idea, as it builds teamwork among the staff, as opposed to people only worrying about their own tables (and not refilling the ice bins, etc). So don't assume that the waiter took your order and disappeared in the breakroom for 30 minutes and thus doesn't deserve a tip
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I don't think it would put the owner out of business. There are plenty of successful stores, small businesses and even counter service restaurants where tipping isn't a norm.
    I undertsand where you are coming from TC; but I never get a bonus for a job well done. It is what is expected of me.

And what is a fair wage? And what happens if that business cannot afford to pay that? Do they then lay-off some of their servers/waitresses or maybe close their doors and send these people into unemployment?

Waitressing is hard work; but we are also talking about an entry or low-level job.

Now if people are willing to pay even more for their meals that enable restaurants to pay their waitresses at least minimum wage, then more power to it. But I doubt people would want to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Doubling or tripling the single largest expense of business owners who already typically have only single-digit profit margins would wipe out scores of businesses and put untold numbers of people out of work.
    I'm not disputing your main point, but just as an FYI.. At KFC, they spend more money on just the frying oil than they do on (non management) labor. In other words, labor isn't necessarily the largest cost of doing business.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I guess I'm just not expressing myself well. I was not trying to diminish the tipping system. I just view them as a tip and not a wage, as I feel they should be. I'm not sure how else to write that, so I'll leave it at that.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

I guess I'm just not expressing myself well. I was not trying to diminish the tipping system. I just view them as a tip and not a wage, as I feel they should be. I'm not sure how else to write that, so I'll leave it at that.
    What would go a long way in helping is to make tips tax free and not included as income. But if it can be taxed then a politician will figure out how to do it.

Nice Guy Eddie : C'mon, throw in a buck!
    Mr. Pink : Uh-uh, I don't tip.
    Nice Guy Eddie : You don't tip?
    Mr. Pink : I don't believe in it.
    Nice Guy Eddie : You don't believe in tipping?
    Mr. Blue : You know what these chicks make? They make ****.
    Mr. Pink : Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.
    Nice Guy Eddie : ...Let me get this straight: you never ever tip, huh?
    Mr. Pink : I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

-Reservoir Dogs (1992)
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

In Italy, there's usually a separate line on the bill that's for table service. I think it's called something like COPERTA, and it's stated up front as to what % it will be.

If you feel that you received outstanding service, then you leave another Euro or three on the table for the server & company.

I really like that system.

Another solution to the tipping dilemma is to just do take-out. You don't have to cook. You don't have to buy overpriced beverages. You don't have to tip. You never have to wait for a table or remember to make reservations.

And when you have a toddler at home, take out is really about the only alternative to fixing something out of the refrigerator.

http://www.marginalrevolution.com/ma...o_we_know.html

What do we know about tipping?

1. Two studies show little relationship between quality of waiter service and size of tip.

2. Hotel bellboys can double the size of their tips, on average, by showing guests how the TV and air conditioning work.

3. Tipping is less prevalent in countries where unease about inequality is especially strong.

4. The more a culture values status and prestige, the more likely that culture will use tipping to reward service.

5. Tips are higher in sunny weather.

6. Servers can increase their tips by giving their names to customers, squatting next to tables, touching their customers, and giving their customers after-dinner mints.

7. Drawing a smiley face on the check increases a waitress's tips by 18 percent but decreases a waiter's tips by 9 percent.

8. In one study, waitresses increased their tips by 17 percent by wearing flowers in their hair. In general it pays to look distinctive albeit not freaky.
    The above was distilled from a long article at the Financial Times of London...
    http://news.ft.com/cms/s/be390fbe-a8...00e2511c8.html
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?