Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RON OESTER fired

Re: RON OESTER fired

What's a "mini" run?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    What's a "mini" run?
    I don't know but it didn't happen because DanO was sitting in his hotel room all off season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    What's a "mini" run?
    Sounds like a short burst of respectable baseball followed by long-term regression to the mean.

Hmn. Never seen that before.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Sounds like a short burst of respectable baseball followed by long-term regression to the mean.

Ah, you mean the Reds in April and May every year?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    Ah, you mean the Reds in April and May every year?
    Yep. That would be it. Easy to identify...

If the Reds are over-under on their Run Differential, yet have a winning record while a number of guys are playing well above expectations, that's the mirage.

If the Reds are right-side-up on their Run Differential and posting a winning record while players are performing to their potential, that's the real deal.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

If Oester wanted to change how some things are being run in the organization, don't fire him, make him GM.

Ok assistant GM.

And what makes Ron Oester an expert on how an organization should be run?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I've been wondering the same thing about the Reds front office for quite some time now.

ODERED

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD

Can't suit you, can I? Knowing that no one here would agree that the Reds could have hung in this thing ALL season long, I chose a word that I thought would "soften" the impact of what I was suggesting: that the Reds could have made some moves to at least give them a chance.

ODERED

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Really? How were they going to make a "mini run" with Jr. out, the starting pitching turning to crap and the bullpen in a shambles? If they were going to get anyone for Wilson it would have been kids. I think trading Wilson would have been a good move but it sure wasn't going to be enough to keep them in the race. You can't have it both ways. You trade Wilson and you lose a decent starting pitcher. Your bullpen may get somewhat better but certainly not to the point where it can be trusted with a lead. You insinuate that if DanO did anything during the off season we'd be talking about magic numbers by now.
    But, whether they were going to make the wildcard or not, they would not have been 25-30 games out of their division and 15-20 games out of the wildcard race. You see, the Reds are "the best of the worst" in the wildcard race. That wouldn't have been the case had DanO pulled the strings when he could have. They could have just brought up the minor league pitchers we're seeing now, and let them see if they can keep the Reds in it. Which would make sense, since you're saying the Reds starting pitching was going to crap. If it was going to crap, then there was no point in keeping Wilson (who was having a career year to that point, and is now a lesser version of a Jimmy Haynes) anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ODERED
    Can't suit you, can I? Knowing that no one here would agree that the Reds could have hung in this thing ALL season long, I chose a word that I thought would "soften" the impact of what I was suggesting: that the Reds could have made some moves to at least give them a chance.
    A chance? I'm not sure Cinci had the goods to deal for Randy Johnson, Brad Penny, Ben Sheets and half a bullpen at any point in 2004.

--Ted Williams

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Did anyone hear "O" last night on Fuhrman? I was not able to tune in. Anyhting good, bad, indifferent?

I'm not interested in what Oester says to Andy Furman. Bitterness stirred into media schlock... such a tired recipe.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Lollipop...True, just interested in what he had to say if anyhting. Having known O for some time I was curious as to what he may have said. I have not had the opportunity to speak to him so I was a little more than curious on his take. Ron does hold grudges so I am sure he is bitter to some degree.

What's your take, TC? Oester seemed ideal for that particular job, and ostensibly was one of DanO's few offseason hires.

Turn Off Ads?