Turn Off Ads?

Thread: FAQ Answers Round 2: "Media," aka Games on TV/Radio/Internet, Blackouts, Reds sites

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

FAQ Answers Round 2: "Media," aka Games on TV/Radio/Internet, Blackouts, Reds sites

Time to answer another batch of those burning FAQ Questions!

We'll answer one set of questions at a time. The second round of answers will be on the "Media" category. Post your answers to any or all sections of the question in this thread. I will compile and incorporate them into this first post. (Hopefully, I'll do a better job with updates this time, because of fewer distractions this week. The Round 1 compilation will get some attention, too)

I know that there are existing threads on this subject in the archive, and I will mine those for the finished answer, too. Feel free to post links to threads if you think they contain particularly good answers or might be difficult to identify as such.

There must be other good questions to be found in this category, so feel free to submit those, too.

So far I'm mining the following threads:
    (none yet)

As far as the form of your answer, you can either go with a "just the facts" format or make a post with full sentences as if someone had asked the question. If you want to disagree with an earlier answer for some reason, that's fine, too.

Rough Draft of Round 2 Answers:

Category: Media

Q: What are the best web sites to get news/info about the Reds?
    JaxRed's site http://www.redsinsite.com
    Reds' Officlal site at mlb.com http://www.cincinnatireds.com

Q: Where can I find a list of Reds games on TV?
    2004 Reds games on Fox Sports Ohio: http://www.fsnohio.com/skedred.php

Q: Where can I find the list of Reds radio network stations?
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...affiliates.jsp

2004 Reds Radio Network Affiliates

OHIO
    Athens WATH-AM 970
    Canton WTIG-AM 990
    Celina WKKI-FM 94.3
    Chillicothe WBEX-AM 1490
    Cincinnati WLW-AM 700
    Columbus WCOL-AM 1230
    Dayton WONE-AM 980
    Findlay WBVI-FM 96.7
    Hillsboro WSRW-AM 1590
    Ironton WIRO-AM 1230
    Lima WIMA-AM 1150
    Marietta WMOA-AM 1490
    Middleport WMPO-AM 1390
    Portsmouth WNXT-AM 1260
    Springfield WIZE-AM 1340
    Wash. CH WCHO-AM 1250
    Zanesville WHIZ-AM 1240

INDIANA
    Batesville WRBI-FM 103.9
    Bedford WBIW-AM 1340
    Indianapolis WNDE-AM 1260
    Madison WXGO-AM 1270
    Muncie WXFN-AM 1340
    Portland WPGW-AM 1440
    WPGW-FM 100.9
    Richmond WHON-AM 930
    Sullivan WNDI-FM 95.3
    Washington WAMW-FM 107.9

KENTUCKY
    Berea WKXO-AM 1500
    Burnside WKEQ-AM 910
    Corbin WCTT-AM 680
    Danville WHIR-AM 1230
    Elkhorn City WBPA-AM 1460
    Grayson WUGO-FM 102.3
    Hartford WAIA-AM 1600
    Irvine WIRV-AM 1550
    Lexington WXRA-AM 1580
    Louisville WXXA-AM 790
    Martin WMDJ-FM 100.1
    Maysville WFTM-AM 1240
    Paintsville WKYH-AM 600
    Pikeville WPKE-AM 1240
    Richmond WEKY-AM 1340

MISSISSIPPI
    Tupelo WTUP-AM 1490

VIRGINIA
    Gate City WGAT-AM 1050

WEST VIRGINIA
    Charleston WCHS-AM 580
    WSWW-AM 1490
    Huntington WVHU-AM 800
    Logan WVOW-FM 101.9
    Martinsburg WRNR-AM 740
    Parkersburg WLTP-AM 1450
    Williamson WXCC-FM 96.5

Q: How can I listen to the Reds game broadcasts on the Internet?
    Sign up for a year of MLB Gameday Audio for $14.95/year or MLB All Access audio and video for $19.95/month at http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/su...ions/index.jsp. [Also need to include info here about the new MSN Premium offer - anyone have a link to the thread discussing that?]

Also, WATH and WKKI broadcast Reds games on the Internet free of charge.
    WKKI: http://www.wkki.net/
    WATH: http://www.athensi.com/ (Click on link to WATH in left column)

Q: Why are Reds games sometimes blacked out on my cable/satellite/MLB.TV?

DirecTV MLB Extra Innings Blackout FAQ: http://www.directvsports.com/Subscri...ngs/Questions/

The following information is excerpted from a 2004 DirecTV FAQ:

MLB EXTRA INNINGS SM
    If you live in a zip code that is within a team's territory, you will not see that team's games with a MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription. For example, residents in Oklahoma City are in four teams' home territories: Astros, Rangers, Cardinals and Royals. These residents will see these teams on their local RSN, and on two additional local RSNs they can receive with the Total Choice GOLD or PLATINUM packages.

Here are two important things to remember:

In market definition: Your zip code is in a Major League Baseball designated home team territory. (This correspond with the home team territory assigned by your in-market RSN. Therefore, in certain parts of the country, a subscriber may have to upgrade to Total Choice GOLD or PLATINUM to receive additional in-market RSNs, and thus view additional home teams). You can find out what home teams you are eligible to view by calling 1-800-GET SPORTS.

Out of Market definition: If your zip is not in a team's home territory (as defined by MLB) you will see that team's games if they are included in MLB EXTRA INNINGS. If the team you are trying to watch is playing a team in whose territory you reside you are considered to be in-market for that game.

In-market subscribers can see Major League Baseball games on their local RSN or their local over the air broadcast stations.

You can see out-of-market Major League Baseball games with MLB EXTRA INNINGS. If a subscriber lives in the home team boundaries of a team that is not featured on their in-market RSN, they will see that team through additional in-market RSNs available via a Gold or Platinum upgrade and not on MLB EXTRA INNINGS. A good rule to remember is a subscriber will not see a team that claims that subscribers zip code as part of the team's "home team" territory play on MLB EXTRA INNINGS.

A blackout will be applied to both home and away teams -- even when the team is not being televised locally. MLB EXTRA INNINGS blackouts are consistent throughout the year -- the definition of the blackout remains the same no matter what carrier broadcasts the game.

Two national networks also have rights to broadcast Major League Baseball games: ESPN and FOX (the national network - not FOX Sports, which may be your local RSN).

ESPN has national broadcast rights for Major League Baseball games on Wednesday an Sunday nights after 5:05 p.m. ET (2:05 p.m. PT). Look for Wednesday and Sunday night games on ESPN, or on your local Regional Sports Network.

Beginning May 30, FOX will broadcast Major League Baseball games on Saturday afternoons. So, while you will not be able to see Saturday mourning or afternoon games on MLB EXTRA INNINGS, you will be able to see games that begin after 7 PM ET on Saturday evening.

Games on WGN, which feature the Chicago Cubs, an on TBS, which feature the Atlanta Braves, will be seen on Total Choice, Total Choice Plus Encore, or Total Choice Gold, Silver or Platinum.

Q: Which radio stations carry game broadcasts for Reds minor league teams? Are these available on the Internet?

Louisville River Bats Internet broadcast: http://www.sportsjuice.com/providers...hp?tname=lbats

Chattanooga Lookouts Radio Station: http://www.am1310wdod.nav.to/
    Chattanooga Lookouts Internet Broadcast: mms://media.americainter.net/lookouts or visit http://www.lookouts.com and click "Listen Online!"

Potomac Cannons Internet Broadcast: http://broadcastmonsters.com/Potomac...ns042704-2.asx

Dayton Dragons Cable TV Schedule: http://www.daytondragons.com/news/20.../03-18-04.html
    Dayton Dragons Internet Broadcast: http://www.daytondragons.com/streaming_games.html

Billings Mustangs Radio Station (no live Internet): http://www.newsradio970.com/main.html

GCL/Sarasota Reds (No broadcasts, and no official web site that I could find!)

Other Sources for minor league baseball Internet broadcasts:
    http://broadcastmonsters.elite-sport...sp?NewsID=1164
    http://www.sportsjuice.com/baseball/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: FAQ Answers Round 2: "Media," aka Games on TV/Radio/Internet, Blackouts, Reds sites

Q: Where can I find a list of Reds games on TV?
    Right here.

Q: Where can I find the list of Reds radio network stations?
    Right here:

OHIO
    Athens WATH-AM 970
    Canton WTIG-AM 990
    Celina WKKI-FM 94.3
    Chillicothe WBEX-AM 1490
    Cincinnati WLW-AM 700
    Columbus WCOL-AM 1230
    Dayton WONE-AM 980
    Findlay WBVI-FM 96.7
    Hillsboro WSRW-AM 1590
    Ironton WIRO-AM 1230
    Lima WIMA-AM 1150
    Marietta WMOA-AM 1490
    Middleport WMPO-AM 1390
    Portsmouth WNXT-AM 1260
    Springfield WIZE-AM 1340
    Wash. CH WCHO-AM 1250
    Zanesville WHIZ-AM 1240
    INDIANA
    Batesville WRBI-FM 103.9
    Bedford WBIW-AM 1340
    Indianapolis WNDE-AM 1260
    Madison WXGO-AM 1270
    Muncie WXFN-AM 1340
    Portland WPGW-AM 1440
    WPGW-FM 100.9
    Richmond WHON-AM 930
    Sullivan WNDI-FM 95.3
    Washington WAMW-FM 107.9
    KENTUCKY
    Berea WKXO-AM 1500
    Burnside WKEQ-AM 910
    Corbin WCTT-AM 680
    Danville WHIR-AM 1230
    Elkhorn City WBPA-AM 1460
    Grayson WUGO-FM 102.3
    Hartford WAIA-AM 1600
    Irvine WIRV-AM 1550
    Lexington WXRA-AM 1580
    Louisville WXXA-AM 790
    Martin WMDJ-FM 100.1
    Maysville WFTM-AM 1240
    Paintsville WKYH-AM 600
    Pikeville WPKE-AM 1240
    Richmond WEKY-AM 1340
    MISSISSIPPI
    Tupelo WTUP-AM 1490
    VIRGINIA
    Gate City WGAT-AM 1050
    WEST VIRGINIA
    Charleston WCHS-AM 580
    WSWW-AM 1490
    Huntington WVHU-AM 800
    Logan WVOW-FM 101.9
    Martinsburg WRNR-AM 740
    Parkersburg WLTP-AM 1450
    Williamson WXCC-FM 96.5

Q: How can I listen to the Reds radio broadcasts on the Internet?
    The official answer is that you can sign up for a year of MLB Gameday Audio for $14.95 or MLB All Access audio and video for $19.95 here.

Q: Why are Reds games sometimes blacked out on my cable/satellite/MLB.TV?
    The following is copied from a DirecTV FAQ:

MLB EXTRA INNINGS SM
    If you live in a zip code that is within a team's territory, you will not see that team's games with a MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription. For example, residents in Oklahoma City are in four teams' home territories: Astros, Rangers, Cardinals and Royals. These residents will see these teams on their local RSN, and on two additional local RSNs they can receive with the Total Choice GOLD or PLATINUM packages.

Here are two important things to remember:

In market definition: Your zip code is in a Major League Baseball designated home team territory. (This correspond with the home team territory assigned by your in-market RSN. Therefore, in certain parts of the country, a subscriber may have to upgrade to Total Choice GOLD or PLATINUM to receive additional in-market RSNs, and thus view additional home teams). You can find out what home teams you are eligible to view by calling 1-800-GET SPORTS.

Out of Market definition: If your zip is not in a team's home territory (as defined by MLB) you will see that team's games if they are included in MLB EXTRA INNINGS. If the team you are trying to watch is playing a team in whose territory you reside you are considered to be in-market for that game.

In-market subscribers can see Major League Baseball games on their local RSN or their local over the air broadcast stations.

You can see out-of-market Major League Baseball games with MLB EXTRA INNINGS. If a subscriber lives in the home team boundaries of a team that is not featured on their in-market RSN, they will see that team through additional in-market RSNs available via a Gold or Platinum upgrade and not on MLB EXTRA INNINGS. A good rule to remember is a subscriber will not see a team that claims that subscribers zip code as part of the team's "home team" territory play on MLB EXTRA INNINGS.

A blackout will be applied to both home and away teams -- even when the team is not being televised locally. MLB EXTRA INNINGS blackouts are consistent throughout the year -- the definition of the blackout remains the same no matter what carrier broadcasts the game.

Two national networks also have rights to broadcast Major League Baseball games: ESPN and FOX (the national network - not FOX Sports, which may be your local RSN).

ESPN has national broadcast rights for Major League Baseball games on Wednesday an Sunday nights after 5:05 p.m. ET (2:05 p.m. PT). Look for Wednesday and Sunday night games on ESPN, or on your local Regional Sports Network.

Beginning May 30, FOX will broadcast Major League Baseball games on Saturday afternoons. So, while you will not be able to see Saturday mourning or afternoon games on MLB EXTRA INNINGS, you will be able to see games that begin after 7 PM ET on Saturday evening.

Games on WGN, which feature the Chicago Cubs, an on TBS, which feature the Atlanta Braves, will be seen on Total Choice, Total Choice Plus Encore, or Total Choice Gold, Silver or Platinum.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Re: FAQ Answers Round 2: "Media," aka Games on TV/Radio/Internet, Blackouts, Reds sites

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Q: How can I listen to the Reds radio broadcasts on the Internet?
    Also, http://www.wkki.net/ broadcasts Reds games free of charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

To listen to the Reds on the internet, you can go to www.athensi.com, click on wath, and listen to the game with no charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Perhaps we should include links to broadcasts of Reds minor league affiliates.

Unassisted, I like the Rockford Reds logo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Unassisted, I like the Rockford Reds logo!
    Thanks reds44, I wish I had made the trip to Marinelli Field when I lived only 90 miles away in '99. I would have tried harder to get there if I had known that the team was only going to be in Rockford for one season! I still think that the logo was clever, albeit a little startling at first!

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    Perhaps we should include links to broadcasts of Reds minor league affiliates.
    Louisville Bats: Click here!

Larry Ward, of the Chat. Lookouts, asked if we could do that for the Lookouts. So, here it is: Click here and then the "Listen Online" link!

Dayton Dragons: Click here and then top center is the "Listen Live" link

Potomac Cannons: Click here and then the "Listen Live" link as well

Lastly, here is a "general" link of links to live games (Potomac and Dayton here as well as a ton of other teams, including college): Click here

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Louisville Bats: Click here!
    I've emailed the info director at the batsbaseball.com site a couple of times re: the Louisville TV schedule, but so far he hasn't responded. If anyone has a URL for when the games will be on DTV (etc) please share it with the class.
    Never overlook the obvious

they don't stream for free anymore !!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    they don't stream for free anymore !!
    If it's worth the trouble of connectiong, isn't it worth paying for? It's not THAT expensive.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?