Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: RON OESTER fired

Re: RON OESTER fired

daugherty's piece = dirty laundry posing as analysis of Reds' system

couldn't agree more with knuckler

the column makes it clear that Oester didn't do his job, but the writer doesn't have the guts to come out and say it

instead, he offers a blanket rip job on the whole minor league system (b/c of 1 disgruntled ex-employee????)

it's just more pathetic mainstream media

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ok, Ron Oester's job, as far as we have been told, was to set up a gameplan for each and every minor leaguer. So, the guy that didn't run out his home run, it would seem that might be something Oester would address with the young man. The sleeping hitting instructor, did he let anyone know about it, and what was the resolution if he did? Or did he just wag his head and put it in his mental file for later use? I'm sure there are all kind of doozy stories that could be told in each organization. Heck, last year Naehring caught a lot of flack because some minor leaguers were demoted for complaining about conditions in extended spring training. Now Oester says things are too loosey goosey for his tastes?

As for Daugherty's conclusion, he sure didn't make the case.

As the Corky Miller comment, he was called up, so what's the beef? Sounds like an off the cuff remark made hundreds of times here on Redszone. From what information the article provides, sour grapes as far as Oester is concerned. It sounds like he just wasn't meeting the basic job requirements and then wants to blame it on politics and loyalty being more important than performance. Yet from the information regarding his performance, he was not performing satisfactorily.

Well, I think the article does show that the guys "running" the Reds minor league system, which are supposed to be leading us into some kind of renaissance, may not know what they are doing.

This (in addition to the Corky quote), is particularly disturbing:

Oester said the organization mandated that minor-league hitters not swing at a pitch until they were thrown a strike. When he questioned that wisdom, he said Reds general manager Dan O'Brien told him to allow two players per team to swing away, and if that experiment worked, he could add two more. Say what?
    This seems to underscore that DanO appears to be a micromanager who wants to make blanket rules from the top, and not let the guys in the trenches have any kind of say. How stupid is that suggestion quoted above? Maybe if a particular kid needs help with the strikezone, the coaches could force him to always take a strike, but why announce to the world that everyone in the minors must take a first strike? (Or everyone but two players :MandJ: )
    If we know about it, surely all the oppositon teams know about it.

IMO, DanO has completely squandered his first year here. His only accomplishment was getting 5 borderline Philly prospects. (which cost the team roughly 1.5 million.. half of Lidle's salary to "rent" him until he was traded).
    DanO had about 4 million to spend last winter, and the best he could do was Lidle and VanderWall. Pathetic. The team is certainly not better since he arrived.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

How stupid is that suggestion quoted above?
    Zero Percent, zero.

The organization is trying to get guys to learn the strike zone, tactics such as this are used regularly in Oakland and most likely Boston, even going as far as giving a kid 100 bucks for getting the most walks in a month and not giving player of the month awards to guys with poor on base percentages.

It goes with 6 man rotations and pitch counts and all the other ilk everyone laughs at throughout the year, it's an attempt to develop a player at his most moldable state.

But keep laughing at an attempt to maximize ability, that's just as funny to me.

The team is certainly not better since he arrived.
    Straighter ship in the clubhouse, younger pitchers on the mound, Dunn, Freel and Pena all having good years, more wins, Lopez..... yeah I long for last year too.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...=taking+strike

This isn't something we just found out about. There was a pretty good discussion on it. So much for Oester falling victim to the system not wanting to listen to his innovative ideas. Sounds more like he's the one not open to innovation. I also didn't say this earlier, but it is rather ironic for Daugherty to claim the Reds' farm system is in a shambles, yet sides with one whose job it was to get things more organized and he failed to do so, according to his employers.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

The team is certainly not better since he arrived.
    ...maybee, maybee not, but the ORGANIZATION, or for those in Canada OrganEYEzation (yes, i will miss hockey this year), is better. There is now, IMHO, a plan that will be kept to - to develop talent form within, not rush players, etc. I like what i see thus far.

What amazes me is how the guy gets ripped and he has yet to complete one yearon the job.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

yes, i will miss hockey this year
    I miss it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    He seriously lacks that abilities to coordinate putting the right people in place to help him effectively manage a Major League organization. Quite honeslty he has very little support from the people I talk with on a regular basis. That includes Players, Player Development staff, Scouts and Coaches. Real shame.
    right. Here we have Oester, who was one of the few DanO hires in development, saying that he never agreed with developmental philosophy. It's like there never was a developmental philosophy, which fits with quite a few things that we saw implemented this year (strange callups, position switches, 8 man rotations altered to five man rotations in midstream, etc). One would have assumed that such philosophies were discussed prior to the hire. Not only is there no consistent philosophy, but there's some kind of outrageous communication problem. No real change from the past but, again, there's no real change from the past.

he'll have more opportunities, and I don't see Oester as irreplaceable. However, what are the chances that he gets it right this time? DanO seems to swing and miss as often behind the scenes as he does with the big club, and that's a scary thought for a person brought in exclusively to shore up the foundation.

Anyone wonder if Oester felt that his job was "beneath" him?

Personally, I think this is a classic case of a guy (Oester) on the wrong side of the career curve- especially after having a MLB Manager position offered to him.

Didn't like to travel. Grumpy about not being invited to meetings that his superiors didn't feel he needed to be invited to. Thinks Naehring is "over his head". Consistently appears to want more control that his position allows. No clean towels (god forbid he find someone who knows where to buy some in the DR).

O'Brien may have actually hurt himself by not being consistent with implementing his philosophies (ie. not sticking with his "first pitch strike" mandate and backing off the 8-man rotation). IMO, I think that's more of a sign that he doesn't buy into those philosophies because they were developed by others. But still it seems that consistency is what Oester respects. And I think that inconsistency, even though Oester got his way a couple times, led to a further breakdown of respect from Oester. O'Brien would have been better off saying "No, Ron. This is the organizational philosophy I'm expecting you to implement.".

I've seen this kind of thing before. Regardless of what O'Brien and Naehring did or said, this relationship was doomed from the start. Oester obviously wanted more than the position offered. I hate laying blame for stuff like that, because it's paramount that both parties clearly define and identify that during the interview process.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I used to use a towel for a week or more without washing it. He's in the Dominican Republic. What does he expect, mints on his pillow?
    I understand that his pillow wasn't properly fluffed either-how much can one man take? :mhcky21:
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Great points, Steel. Perhaps rather than it being unclearly communicated job expectations, they were communicated at a reasonable level of clarity, but Oester nodded approval despite clear objections figuring that getting his foot back in the door in the Reds org. was more important than philosophical differences. That happens all the time also, esp. with folks that are taking a step backwards (real or perceived) in an organization with the goal of working their way up. But doing so can be a very humbling experience and some just can't take the lack of involvement with higher ups in the organization.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Hal McCoy has been getting his info from Oester? The two strikes thing, and I will bet the "Austin Kearns cant play" flap also came from him.

I would love to know who these DEVELOPMENT people that Team Clark talks about are.......................are they the same development people who have not and cannot develop any starting pitchers for this team in the last 10 years?
    The same people who seem to only be here collecting paychecks?

The Reds Farm System is in shambles? Sorry, no. Shambles is what it was in 1997. Now it is just on the par, with some interesting prospects, which is typically the case, but not elite.

Turn Off Ads?