Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: RON OESTER fired

Re: RON OESTER fired

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    This is exactly what I saw the day he took the podium and accepted the job as GM. If you tossed Carl Lindner, John Allen and Dick Wagner into a blender and poured it, it could come out heaping tall glass of Dan O'Brien. .
    Man, that's the most toxic drink ever. :MandJ:
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Yes, it makes a whole lot of sense to have someone like DanO (who has probably never even seen or heard of some of these guys) come in and immediately order them not to swing until they get a strike. Kind of contradicts the idea that Oester was supposed to develop an individual plan for each farm hand.

When Dunn was in the minors, should he have been forced to take strike 1?
    He already had plate discipline.

I'm sorry, but blanket rules that apply to everyone with no exceptions are almost always a bad idea, especially when they come from the top and handcuff the managers in the trenches trying to get work done.
    I'm not sure what GM knows the intricacies of every player in their farm system. Furthermore, if you read through the discussion on the topic, there is not a whole lot of details given about the system, so much is open to conjecture. Also, giving a command from the top about one aspect of a player's development plan isn't exactly handcuffing someone from doing their job, whether it be Oester's positon or a manager of a club. In fact, you want to "handcuff" them in some areas, like pitch counts, as has already been pointed out.

Hopefully, Oester's replacement will be more concerned about their own job instead of evaluating their superiors. This is a common problem the wannabes have--get envious of the people ahead of them and can't perform their own job because they are worrying about the job someone else is doing.

Santo -- may I suggest you choose happiness over unhappiness?

The road is simple. It is pin-striped.

Princeton -- You ignore my argument, which is that the system was first and foremost a 75-pitch limit system -- which tried to a) keep starting pitchers healthy and b) expand the pool of pitchers who could become SPs. All that varied (and this only late in the season) was the number of pitchers anointed starters under that system. The variations were based on health concerns. The 75-pitch system was implemented consistently all season long, at the A ball level.

Your claims of inconsistency are based on the assumption that it was first and foremost an 8-man system, not a 75-pitch system. Certainly there were reasons they chose to start it out as an 8-man system (probably logistical reasons given the size of minor league pitching staffs), but the health of certain pitchers dictated that it could not continue late in the year. No biggie! For most of the season they got to see more young pitchers in a starting role (good evaluation) and they kept pitchers pretty healthy (good development). I'm sorry, but your complaining about this just seems a little superficial and hardheaded.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Heck, be really innovative and bring it to AA and AAA and then to the majors in the form of bona fide four man rotations. That's a change that I'd like to see, because it directly addresses the small market team's problem with payrolling a pitching rotation. But until Grady Fuson does it, I think that DanO's going to stay away from it.
    Which will be a problem, given that Grady's about to be out of a job.

I agree with you on this -- the one thing I best liked about 4/8/75 was the implication that pitching every fourth day is something this organization would like to see happen up the ladder. Given that, if I were in the situation, instead of eliminating 4/8/75 I might have lightened up the pitch count or the in-between throwing for the guys whose arms were getting tired, rather than move everyone off the four-day schedule. I say that with the usual caveat that I don't know what the minor-league pitching coaches were saying. It'll be instructive to see if they start on the four-day schedule again next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Great points, Steel. Perhaps rather than it being unclearly communicated job expectations, they were communicated at a reasonable level of clarity, but Oester nodded approval despite clear objections figuring that getting his foot back in the door in the Reds org. was more important than philosophical differences. That happens all the time also, esp. with folks that are taking a step backwards (real or perceived) in an organization with the goal of working their way up. But doing so can be a very humbling experience and some just can't take the lack of involvement with higher ups in the organization.
    That's very well said, tr.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Yes, it makes a whole lot of sense to have someone like DanO (who has probably never even seen or heard of some of these guys) come in and immediately order them not to swing until they get a strike. Kind of contradicts the idea that Oester was supposed to develop an individual plan for each farm hand.
    Ron Oester was supposed to develop a plan for each farm hand...one that meshed with organizational philosophy and established system. It's obvious that Oester felt he was supposed to drive that when, in fact, that's the GM's perogative.

Oester didn't want to do it that way even though O'Brien provided him some flexibility within the system. There's no possible way to blame Dan O'Brien for that even though it's very possible that by being flexible with Oester's wishes, O'Brien may have actually shot himself in the foot by being flexible with an inflexible guy.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    your complaining about this just seems a little superficial and hardheaded.
    those words are mere synonyms for scientific and innovative. And I not only agree, but I also thank you

Really reaching there.
    Yep, I'm the one reaching.

Thanks for pointing out I was wasting my time.

Oester's a pretty high strung guy. Since he also has a great love of clean towels, he should hang around this guy for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?