Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Larkin Fan you still around here?

Larkin Fan you still around here?

I haven't been on here in ages and I see that you don't visit as much as you used to. Anyway, I was just curious whether or not you are going to see Keith Urban at US Bank Arena next weekend. I know you are a big fan and you are partially responsible that I now suffer *it's a good suffering* from Urbanitis. This will be my first time seeing him as a headliner and I can't wait.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Larkin Fan you still around here?

I'm still around! I'm actually not going to see Keith next weekend in Cincy. I'm going to catch him when the tour hits Nationwide Arena in Columbus on November 6th. I'm excited as it will be my first time seeing him live. I'm also going to shoot for a meet and greet.

So what do you think of the new album? I'm loving it. He's moved back to the raw, gritty sound of the Ranch and the extended guitar solos at the end of nearly every song are amazing. I think it's his best yet.

Hey LF,

Are you still going to see Keith this Saturday? How did it go with getting a M&G? I hear they are getting hard to come by these days unless you know somebody.

My first Keith headlining concert was AWESOME!!! I knew he was talented, but WOW! US Bank Arena was set up really small so even though I had crappy seats (I thought), I was only about 15 rows back. The guy ROCKS!
    Thought I would post back so you can know a few things to expect, if you haven't already heard about his concerts on this tour.

(My memory is fuzzy, it's been almost a month ago and I just realized tonight that I hadn't reported back to you yet, as I had planned, plus the fact that I was partially in some sort of dreamlike state during most of the concert)

The new band is great. Keith's interaction with the audience is the best I have ever seen, I only wish I had been a fan as long as you have. I've missed so many Keith concerts practically in my own backyard.

Songs he performed (in no particular order)
    From Golden Road he did Somebody Like You, Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me, Raining on Sunday, You'll Think of Me (acoustic, extended version, also You're Everything acoustically, *just Keith and a guitar, you'll never see that at a Tim or Kenny concert* ,

anyway on with the set list... Blue Jeans, You Look Good in My Shirt (which has to be the best song ever, that was never released as a single). He has dropped But For the Grace of God (probably because he doesn't have a fiddle player). The Raining on Sunday guitar solo at the end is amazing. He did Homespun Love from the Ranch album leading into I Hear You Knockin' and did the percussion thing on the guitar and the microphone. (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about since you've been a fan a long time, but this is the first time I had witnessed it and it absolutely blew me away). He did an absolutely kick a$$ version of Blacktop that had this 'freeze frame' in the middle of the song. Pretty darn cool.

I had heard about the version of Free Falling he has been doing for years but this was the first time I got to join in on the fun. He divided us between the Ky and Ohio people and Ky people pervailed.

Off his new album he did Days Go By, You're My Better Half, Making Memories of Us (from a female perspective, this song is right up there with You're Everything), She's Gotta Be (which has the most amazing guitar solo at the end, I thought the guy was gonna pop a blood vessel, lol). He did Tonight I Wanna Cry as an encore on the piano, yes the piano and ended with These Are the Days.

I'm going to go see Keith again in Louisville on the 14th and once again, I can't wait. Hope you have a blast at Columbus and don't forget to report back to me.

Hey Larkin Fan......did you leave this place? I seriously want to hear if you made it to the concert and would love to hear a review if you did. My friend that went last night said it was the best concert she had ever been to.

redhead,

I would agree with your friend. I'm trying to finish up a paper right now, but I will get you a review ASAP. It was one fantastic concert!

redhead,

So sorry that it's taken me so long to write this post. It's been an extremely hectic week for me. Had a research paper due Monday and a Chemistry exam today, not to mention all of my other school/work responsibilities to attend to. But here I am now, ready to give you a review.

The concert Saturday night was quite simply the best concert that I've ever been to in my life. And I've been to a lot of them and seen many different acts. Keith puts so much energy into his show that it's amazing.

Katrina Elam started the night off and I've gotta say, I think I'm in love! She has an amazingly powerful voice and I think she has great potential to go somewhere in this business. Her band was so, so.

But the main event, of course, was when Keith took the stage. I absolutely loved the pitch black arena and then him appearing with his acoustic to play an excerpt from "These Are the Days." He did an excellent job of the way he planned the whole concert out, especially by making "These are the Days" lead right into "Days Go By." Which you may or may not know, "These are the Days" was actually supposed to be an ending to "Days Go By" sort of like what was done on Golden Road with "Somebody Like You" but he didn't feel that it would be original if he did it twice, so he tacked it on at the end.

I think the highlight of the night, for everyone in the audience, was when Keith launched into an extended impromptu guitar solo during "Where The Blacktop Ends" and ventured off the stage. But he didn't just stay in the general vicinity of the stage. He wandered all around the audience, including up into the stands. Had women pulling his hair and one woman jumped on his back as he walked down the stairs. Security had to peel her off. But through all of that, he NEVER missed a lick on the guitar.

Some of the funniest moments of the night would have to be when he was playing "Homespun Love" and all of a sudden he started to launch into "Kung Fu Fighting" and then yelled "PSYCHE" and kept going with "Homespun Love." He had the audience cracking up at that. Another funny thing that happened was after he and Chris R. (new guitarist) fell on the floor as they were playing at the opening of "You Look Good In My Shirt" his belt came unbuckled and as he was singing he was trying to hide behind his guitar as he fixed it, but it was pretty obvious to everyone what was going on. LOL

The acoustic set was fabulous, but then again I'd expect nothing less from him. He makes every song interesting and different each time he plays it. The mark of a true musician. The percussion bit with the acoustic and the mike was just plain awesome. He never ceases to amaze.

I was also looking forward to seeing him play "Tonight I Wanna Cry." I've known for awhile that he was going to be playing the piano. He dabbles in the keys a bit (even though he says he's not very good!) and I thought he did an awesome job. It was very cool to see him play something other than his usual instruments. I don't know if you've ever had the opportunity to listen to his 1991 Australian released CD, but there's a version of Clutterbilly on there that is heavy on the piano, which he plays.

I was really looking forward to seeing him play "She's Gotta Be" which, IMO, is the best guitar song on Be Here, and he certainly didn't disappoint. I was blown away by the extended guitar solo at the end. Other awesome ones included "Raining on Sunday", "Somebody Like You", "Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me", "You're My Better Half" and "Better Life". Just about anything he rocks out on, you know is gonna have a great solo in it.

It's very hard to put into words the kind of performer the Keith Urban and the impact that he has on anyone that goes to his concerts. He's just that phenomenal of a performer. I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm sure there are bits that I've left out about the concert, but I just can't think of anymore right now. Because I'm a guitarist and Keith is my favorite guitarist/biggest influence, I focus so much on the guitar aspect and I got my money's worth and so much more on Saturday night. Can't wait until he comes back to town again!

I do know from several people that I've talked to that have attended two or three shows on the tour so far said that Columbus was by far THE best show of all of them. He rocked Columbus, got an awesome review in the Dispatch, and last night, he finally received some overdue recognition from the CMA's. Great time to be a KU fan. Have a great time in Louisville on the 14th and let me know how the show was!

Hey redhead,

How was the show in Louisville a few weeks ago?

A little late with my reply *okay, a lot late*, but it was AWESOME!!!
    I see myself as being a life long Keith Urban fan. I may someday be one of these crazy fanatical old women that follow him all over the country. As long as he performs, I'll be there to listen.

The Palace theatre was an awesome show. I don't know how he does it, but he just keeps getting better and better with every show. He had to whole place eating out of the palm of his hand. He seemed to really enjoy being back in Louisville, he mentioned Coyotes several times. "I played there about 7 years ago when I was a member of the Ranch, and I think about 6 people showed up. I want to thank those 6 people for spreading the word."

My favorite part of the concert was during Blacktop he jumped off stage and went up the aisle out into the lobby and climbed the steps to the balcony without missing a beat. When he got back he said "Wow, you Louisville people are really friendly..... I think my clothes have been stretched 3 sizes."

His acoustic set was better than ever. Homespun Love was wilder than ever, I don't know how he doesn't break his guitar. He played Raining on Sunday with more passion than I had ever heard. 'Shirt' is one of my favorites and he played most of it sitting down or laying down on stage. LOL. You'll Think of Me is a showstopper. Tonight I Wanna Cry on the piano was great, he seemed less nervous playing the piano than he did in Cincinnati. She's Gotta Be was WOW again, but different than in Cincinnati. It amazed me how he doesn't play the songs exactly the same each time, he just kinda wings it and each time the results are amazing. It must be scary in a way to have that much talent.

It's really cool to take along someone for the first time and see their face when he "lets loose" on the guitar. Of course, if she's a female, to see the dreamy look on her face during Your Everything and Making Memories of Us is priceless.

Did you hear that they filmed his last two concerts for a live DVD? I can't wait to get my hands on that. BTW, you mentioned that he plays piano on the 1991 version of Clutterbilly, how did you know about that? I told my friend that and she said I was confused. That some guy *cannot for the life of me remember his name* played on that song. Where did you get your info. I'd love to prove my friend wrong.

OOps almost forgot.....The coolest thing I've ever seen at ANY concert is when he came out and played gango and sang backup for Katrina on her song No End in Sight. I've never seen a headliner do that before. Did he do that at Cleveland? He just came out and didn't try upstage her in anyway, he was just part of the band. I heard he started doing that so people wouldn't make a mass exodus to the concessions or bathroom near the end of her set. Is he a great guy or what?

Hey, are we the only two Keith Urban concert attendees on this board? If so, these people don't know what they are missing.

Talk to you later

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

"Hey, are we the only two Keith Urban concert attendees on this board?"

Nope. I've become a fan thanks to being introduced to his music a few months ago by my 15 year old daughter!

I'll have to shoot for getting her and I some Keith Urban tickets sometime soon.

---'Roser

I wasn't a fan (in fact I thought he was kind of creepy) until I saw him in concert. Now I am hooked.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Check this out Larkin Fan and Creek

Courtesy of the Tennessean.

The next CMT Crossroads pairs Keith Urban with his songwriting hero, John Fogerty. It airs for the first time at 8 p.m. Feb. 19.

How cool is that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redhead
    Check this out Larkin Fan and Creek

Courtesy of the Tennessean.

The next CMT Crossroads pairs Keith Urban with his songwriting hero, John Fogerty. It airs for the first time at 8 p.m. Feb. 19.

How cool is that!!!
    That's an interesting combo. I'll have to catch that one for sure. I usually don't like Crossroads too much (although Brad Paisley and John Mayer were good and Montgomery Gentry and Lynard Skynard rocked).
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I must have missed your reply to this thread from a few weeks ago, redhead. I know about the live DVD and am really looking forward to it. It'll be worth every penny.

Keith wasn't playing ganjo for Katrina when he was here in Columbus. That was actually something he started right after the Columbus concert. I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do. I don't know if you know this or not, but Keith is the ganjoist and guitarist on "No End In Sight" on Katrina's album. That's how she ended up on the tour.

For the life of me, I can't remember where I read that he played piano on Clutterbilly. I have read so much about his music abilities that it's all run together for me.

The matchup for Crossroads is an interesting one. Although, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. I was really hoping to see him paired with Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits who was leaps and bounds his biggest influence as a guitar player. The pairing with Fogerty will be a good one though. I don't know if you've ever seen CMT's "The Road to Be Here" but there's a really funny clip of Keith in the studio singing CCR's "Rollin' on the River" in it. I wonder if they'll work that in to the concert?

Turn Off Ads?