Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kearns to go to Instructional League for 3B

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Kearns to go to Instructional League for 3B

I'm still somewhat against going to all this trouble for what amounts to one year, but I guess it does allow the most offensive ability in the Reds' lineup at once.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I like the experiment. I like the idea of giving him a try at 3B.

I'd also like to see Kearns spend some time in Latin American winter ball, so he can play for more than 10 days - as much for his hitting as for learning a new position. I'm concerned that he was just begining to get the rust off and his stroke back when the season ended. Since he got a lot of rest this season, I'd like to see him do some more hitting to sustain the momentum going into 2005.
    /r/reds

I like this move, especially since there is no guarantee that EdE will succeed in the majors. Kearns can always go back to the outfield should the situation call for it.

Kearns has the baseball instincts to move to 3B IMHO. In the worst case....think Chipper Jones. In the best case, think Scott Rolen......in the really worst case, think Phil Nevin.....though I would have a hard time believing that Kearns could be that bad at 3B.

Point is, teams have had success with less than Brooks Robinson at 3B.....and when you start with a kid as talented as Kearns, I think you stand a pretty good chance of having better than average in a year or two.....for certain, Kearns will work hard to become a 3B.

Look what Ken Caminiti did through a few years of hard work (practice).

Look what the addition of Ramierez did for the Cubs.....and you have to believe that Kearns will be at least as nimble as Ramierez.

I like this, it may work or it may not, but it's a good idea to at least try it
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I like this, it may work or it may not, but it's a good idea to at least try it
    :gac:

Also, if the experiment works, Kearns as a third baseman is more valuable than Kearns as a right fielder. The Cardinals and Giants have proven to me that a revolving door policy can work for filling corner outfielder vacancies. Viable third basemen are much harder to find.

Kearns has superb baseball instincts, a strong arm, and is known for his first step in the outfield. I think he has an excellent shot at not only being able to play 3B, but mastering it. Also, if he realizes half of his potential as a hitter, he's top of the pack as a 3B.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I'd put WMP at third before Kearns.

One strong/one weak fielder is always better than two weak fielders

I also think that if you give up defense at third base and at all OF positions, then you MUST play a strong defensive duo at short and second. Otherwise, you're playing 28-out games, which you can't do with any pitching staff and especially not with our pitching staff. Right now the only strong defensive duo is probably Olmedo and Machado-- assuming that they're even strong enough (haven't seen enough of either)
    Last edited by princeton; 10-09-2004 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Thunder
    From an article at cincinnatireds.com
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp..._cin&fext=.jsp

Anyone notice a difference in behaviour?
    By the front office, yes. They have asked Kearns if he would try this; they have not communicated anything to Larkin. Larkin has repeatedly said he would work at other positions; all the FO has to do is let him know.

I think it's great Kearns is going to give 3B a try. Worst-case scenario is it doesn't work out, and we're back to where we were yesterday. Best-case, he could man 3B for years.

I do think that if Kearns does not play 3B this year, Freel will. I suspect they'd rather non-tender Jimenez and go find a 2B, and handle 3B from within.

its not a bad idea to try. it would give the team plenty of options in the field. also they could also move kearns to second if they non tender dj. who knows kearns could end up another jeff kent. that would leave third base open for edwin encarncion. here is my dream lineup.

1) lopez ss
    2) casey 1b
    3) kearns 2b
    4) griffey rf
    5) pena cf
    6) dunn lf
    7) EE 3b
    8) catcher valentin/larue/sardinha
    9) pitcher

the nice thing about this lineup is the righty/lefty order. this batting order would cause managers fits when it comes to using their bullpens. i know it its a long shot of happening but it works good on my high heat baseball game.
    of course they could have kearns play third and move EE to second but that would be moving 2 players around to new positions. its just good to see that the front office is going to do everything they can to get kearns/dunn/pena/griffey/casey all in the lineup at the same time. lets hope it works and they can stay healthy. :dflynn:
    Last edited by toledodan; 10-09-2004 at 09:17 PM.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I'd put WMP at third before Kearns.
    Having watched WMP play 3rd in spring training a couple of years ago, I wouldn't recommend it. He made Dmitri look like Brooks Robinson.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

I still think the Reds will sign someone like the Royals Joe Randa to a one-year deal with a possible option as a stopgap till Encarncion is ready.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I still think the Reds will sign someone like the Royals Joe Randa to a one-year deal with a possible option as a stopgap till Encarncion is ready.

if you can get a player like joe randa cheap you sign him for longer than one season.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

He will be 35 years old next season. A two year deal would be tops if I was O'Brien.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?