Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kearns to go to Instructional League for 3B

Glenn Braggs

Re: Kearns to go to Instructional League for 3B

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    By the front office, yes. They have asked Kearns if he would try this; they have not communicated anything to Larkin.
    Judging from the article I got the impression that Kearns is willing when approached by the front office about playing third base and being more flexible. Which cannot be said of Larkin, who plays the sit and wait game until his future is presented to him on a silver plate.
    Last edited by Red Thunder; 10-09-2004 at 06:21 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds and 26.2's

If Johnny Bench can play third, I know Kearns can..

He's willing, the Reds are willing..if it works out everyone gets the future Hall of Famer (?) Wily Mo Pena in the starting lineup..Even at the sacrifice of trading your purest hitter, Casey..Isn't that what you wanted?

Or are most of you afraid this will work out and the Reds will trade away your other future Hall of Famer (?) Edwin E?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I still think the Reds will sign someone like the Royals Joe Randa to a one-year deal with a possible option as a stopgap till Encarncion is ready.
    Why? teams that are close do a deal like that, the Reds still have no pitching

It would be a waste.
    Go Gators!

Reds once again, show why they are the biggest dunce's around.

I NEVER want to see Kearns at third, never nada and no way. Why they are even trying it shows a lack of brain function in the upper cortex.

They have Freel to play third if they think EE isn't up to speed by April. Really simply. But they make it so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Thunder
    Judging from the article I got the impression that Kearns is willing when approached by the front office about playing third base and being more flexible. Which cannot be said of Larkin, who plays the sit and wait game until his future is presented to him on a silver plate.
    So the FO approaches Kearns and we find out he is willing to do what they ask. But the FO has NOT approached Larkin about anything, and that makes him a bad person?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Reds once again, show why they are the biggest dunce's around.

I NEVER want to see Kearns at third, never nada and no way. Why they are even trying it shows a lack of brain function in the upper cortex.

They have Freel to play third if they think EE isn't up to speed by April. Really simply. But they make it so hard.

then please explain where we play kearns/dunn/griffey/pena at the same time? the only reason you move kearns is to do that. like i said before you could also move him to second and non tender jimenez.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Austin trying to do this. Albert Pujols has played third, first and outfield. Chipper Jones has switched back and forth between third and left field. Craig Biggio is working on his fourth position in the major leagues. Pete Rose... the list goes on and on. Major league baseball players have the skills to do this. People have had it drummed into their brains that players are intractable in the positions they currently hold, and that to mess with that pushes them one step closer to the looney bin or something. That's absolutely ridiculous. If Kearns can't cut it at third after a fair trial, he will go back to being the very capable defensive outfielder with a lethal stroke that he already is. If it does work out, who is to say that Edwin Encarnacion can't play second base? It's definately worth taking a look at, considering that this could become one of the best lineups in the National League if it works. If Kearns was kicking and screaming about it, it would be one thing. But, apparently, he wants to do this. Let's see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    So the FO approaches Kearns and we find out he is willing to do what they ask. But the FO has NOT approached Larkin about anything, and that makes him a bad person?
    Not really, but crying and pouting for the last month of the season about playing time when you're supposed to be "the Captain" does.

then please explain where we play kearns/dunn/griffey/pena at the same time?
    Easy. You trade Casey at his current high point for value and move either Dunn or Griffey to first base.

What you don't do is move Kearns to 3B. I wholeheartedly agree with Aronchis on this and always have.

If Kearns is placed at 3B on opening day, get ready for another loooooooong season. And I'm still waiting for more than an instance or two of players who've never played anything but OF professionally making anything more than a token move to the Hot Corner with anything more than horrible defensive results.

Let's put this in perspective...

To post a winning record in 2004, the Reds would have had to post a Run Differential of historic proportions- ie. an incredible feat that couldn't possibly been expected. And yet, folks claimed that it was possible. It wasn't and baseball history told us this.

The possibility of a successful Kearns-to-3B move is even more improbable than that. The game's history tells us that too. Yet folks refuse to listen.

Kearns to 3B is not comparable to Chipper Jones. It's not a Johnny Bench (who was absolutely horrible, BTW) situation. It's not Pujols, Rose, Biggio, or anyone else who's played a position where a move to 3B could be projected as a potential success. Hell, Pujols and Nevin were both moved off the hot corner due to their inability to defend the position. And we expect Kearns to be better than either? If Kearns is even as good (unlikely) as either player, then what does that say if other teams are moving these kind of defenders? C'mon, folks.

In short, it's just today's Reds Stupid Thing to Do. A competent GM would have nipped this one in the bud in short order- without even accomodating Kearn's request (if it was actually his request). O'Brien's only saving grace in this situation is if he's letting Kearns try his hand at it simply to allow Austin to prove himself wrong.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 10-10-2004 at 12:32 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Agree with Steel. I hate this idea. Kearns needs stability. He has been hurt, has been out of the lineup, has not put up numbers that reflect his abilities. Now we're going to start screwing around with him in the infield? Give him a chance to develop into a star right fielder -- which he can be -- instead of moving him around to an unfamiliar position.

And this does not reflect well on O'Brien. If you think there's a hole at third base, Mr. GM, make a deal and fill it. With a real third baseman. That's your job; not coverting guys like Kearns, who should be focusing on his development as the Reds right fielder.

I'm starting to wonder whether O'Brien believes in adding major league players from other organizations. Time will tell, but there are better ways to solve the third base vacancy than to start converting outfielders who have no real infield experience.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-10-2004 at 01:07 AM.

I don't disagree that we should have an established major league third baseman. They should have had a plan when they dealt Boone, or they shouldn't have dealt him. I might also consider dealing Casey, and take a long look at Arizona as a potential trading partner for him if Ritchie Sexson walks. But, I also have little faith the Reds will be able to accomplish either this winter. Nobody is saying it would be easy for Kearns to switch positions, but I think ppl are overreacting when they suggest it is doomed to failure. Ryan Freel, D'Angelo Jiminez, Barry Larkin and Eddie E or anybody else that mans the hot corner in 2005 is probably not going to provide gold glove calibre defense to begin with. Any team that shops in the discount section for veteran talent every year needs to take a chance once in a while. This is a risk the club can afford to make without spending an extra dime, and if it doesn't work out what harm is done? As one of the most talented all around players on the team, I have faith that this experiment will not destroy him no matter what the outcome. I commend him for his willingness to give it a shot. This is an example of a young player putting the team before himself, and that will always garner respect in my book.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 10-10-2004 at 02:55 AM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

"Shoulda been done long ago"

or so the song goes.

Kearns has played the position in HS and has the instincts/ability to be a great 3B. Just par for the course that it took them this long to pursue the option.

They'll still hafta find another decent OF as you can't count on Griffey making it thru preseason. But that's a separate, seemingly unaddressable issue. Along with the pitching.

Oh, and the Lindner/Allen/O'Brien house of horror.
    Last edited by malcontent; 10-10-2004 at 07:59 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

It's the Instructural League folks. What better way to find out in a two-week period whether Kearns has a potential as a third baseman? After two weeks, the Reds will lay to rest the discussion of shifting Kearns to third base.

It's worth the try especially when you are trying to squeeze Dunn, Pena, Junior and Kearns for three spots in the outfield. But after two weeks, I think the Reds will know what they know already......that they will have to go outside to bring in a stopgap third baseman.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

[ - - 1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS - C - - ]

He's going the wrong way.

But it's worth a shot, and it's best to know one way or the other.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    [ - - 1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS - C - - ]

He's going the wrong way.

But it's worth a shot, and it's best to know one way or the other.
    Yep he is, guys that make the move have limited range, below average assists and above average errors.

Turn Off Ads?