Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...

Re: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...

Now that I think about it, haven't we been here twice before? What are the chances that in the next week, Uncle Carl steps up and signs him to a one year deal? Hopefully good.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Why he was so loyal to this crappy organization is beyond me.
    Because they were his favorite team.

Are they yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    The explanation behind this move should be quite informative

It'll be the old we're moving on speech....not sure why we have to hear it
    If all they did was issue a release saying Larkin wasn't being re-signed, you'd come on here and say that an issue like this deserves to be addressed and deserves more than just a statement.

Retired

It might not seem like it, but the Reds made the right choice. I'm sure Barry will catch on somewhere else.

My thoughts: good luck with all those teams that are supposedly looking to bring in a 41-year-old shortstop who wants to play regularly but can't.

Larkin is and always will be one of the greatest Reds of all-time, but the last 3-4 years he has really dragged himself down both on and off the field.

Larkin Won't Be Coming Back to Reds

JOE KAY

Associated Press

CINCINNATI - Barry Larkin will not be offered another contract by the Cincinnati Reds, ending his 19-year career with his hometown team, he told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The shortstop said he was informed of the team's decision in a phone call earlier in the day.

"Nothing really surprises me anymore," Larkin said from his home in Orlando, Fla.

Larkin, 40, grew up in Cincinnati and spent his entire career with the Reds, developing into one of the most prominent players in their history. He helped the team win a World Series in 1990 and won the NL's Most Valuable Player award in 1995, the last time the Reds made the playoffs.

Injuries had limited him in recent years, and he decided to make the 2004 season his last. But a good season - he hit .289 and made the All-Star team - prompted him to reconsider and ask for one more season.

The Reds had no immediate comment.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Drat!

Rem

I simply can't believe the FO didn't know they would do this before the end of the season. It would have been so much simpler if they had just come out with the news earlier.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I'm more interested in the "why". Larkin surely won't admit that it's because he balked at his role-to-be... if that's why. I guess he's entitled to be hurt if the Reds simply declined. Will they at least offer him a role in the organization when he's done playing?

They just announced it on a local channel. News conference at 4 pm. They said he is going to pursue other teams, but the Reds were his first choice.

I sure do hope someone hires him. Even better, I wish he'd be hired by the Reds in a non-player capacity... whether or not he'd accept that, rather than playing, is anybody's guess. But I think he'd at least consider it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

All good things must come to an end.

Hopefully Barry can now begin learning to play other positions since, if he does catch on with another team, he'll more than likely be used as a utility infielder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I wish Barry would have stuck with the original plan; had his day and retired. Barry had a great year and should have gone out that way. I really fear for Barry what is going to come next year. He's going to continue to have problems with his abdominal wall muscles. He's going to have to play as a role player, for another team, and go through that pain, just to say he played another year and maybe pad some of his stats.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Larkin Won't Be Coming Back to Reds

JOE KAY

Associated Press

CINCINNATI - Barry Larkin will not be offered another contract by the Cincinnati Reds, ending his 19-year career with his hometown team, he told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The shortstop said he was informed of the team's decision in a phone call earlier in the day.

"Nothing really surprises me anymore," Larkin said from his home in Orlando, Fla.

Larkin, 40, grew up in Cincinnati and spent his entire career with the Reds, developing into one of the most prominent players in their history. He helped the team win a World Series in 1990 and won the NL's Most Valuable Player award in 1995, the last time the Reds made the playoffs.

Injuries had limited him in recent years, and he decided to make the 2004 season his last. But a good season - he hit .289 and made the All-Star team - prompted him to reconsider and ask for one more season.

The Reds had no immediate comment.
    Good for the Reds. The right decision. You don't win with 41 year old shortstops. Larkin's quote, "nothing really surprises me anymore," is an unnecessary swipe at the team. Enough with the sour grapes already.

Barry should have just called it quits. I doubt very many teams would be looking for a 41 year old starting SS.

A sad day in Reds history, but to the front office for making the right decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I believe this is the correct choice per Larkin the player. He doesn't offer much as a utility guy (never learned another position, believes he can still play semi-regularly, i.e., at SS). Hopefully down the road they offer him a role in the organization -- but they will have to be sure he's not carrying a chip on his shoulder.

One of the 5 greatest Reds ever, who, in my puny opinion, should have called it quits this year and had his "Barry Larkin Day" in front of a pretty full GAB. It was a joy to watch him this year, while he was going good.

So many of them hang on too long.

Turn Off Ads?