Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...

Re: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...

For everyone who thinks/thought Larkin would work well as a backup and would be fine doing it, here's a little snippet from the Post...

If Larkin knew the Reds were committed to starting Lopez and Machado every day at shortstop next season, could he play an entire year in the same role he held this September?

"No, I couldn't," Larkin said, "because I think once I started playing that the manager would see that I could make more contributions to the team than that. If I get a chance to go out there and play, with my track record when I'm healthy, everybody knows that I can play. So, no, I couldn't see myself in that position, especially in Cincinnati."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    For everyone who thinks/thought Larkin would work well as a backup and would be fine doing it, here's a little snippet from the Post...
    OK, so he wants to play, so a front office job isn't an option? And, he won't be happy as a utility guy, so constant grumblings next season would have been likely? :dflynn:

Does he really think any team out there is going to give the starting shortstop role to a 41-year-old who's averaged less than 100 games over the last four seasons? He's living in a dream world.

I just wish he would have went through with the retirement night, received a proper send-off, probably got an offer to work in the front office, and avoided this whole mess. I just really can't comprehend how the Reds are to blame in this.

I only wish that they could have invited him to spring training to try to win a spot on the team. Larkin would not have accepted it but I think if he spent the winter trying to find a starting job he would jump at the chance. I will be shocked if he is on anyones active roster come Feb. He will be invited to spring training by some team like the D-Rays but I just don't think anyone will fill up a roster spot with a 41 year old shortstop.

I do feel that if he could have accepted his role as a utility guy that the Reds should have invited him down. The guy can still hit. I believe that once he adapted to the PH role he would have been a good guy off of the bench.

Just our luck Larkin will go to some team and end up leading the team to the World Series while playing in 140 games and getting 175 hits.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Just our luck Larkin will go to some team and end up leading the team to the World Series while playing in 140 games and getting 175 hits.
    you say that like it's a bad thing.

for true fans, it's the best thing

It's a conspiracy! I can't believe they did it!! Oh my god I hope they talk about it on the radio and on here every single day for the next 5 years!!! I can't get enough of the Reds' soap opera controversies!! I just can't get enough folks.

First Joe now Barry!! Who's next?? Poor, poor uncle Carl and his minions? Little children??? Cute kittens!??

I want to listen to Andy Furman and drunk talk show callers with southern accents go on about this 24/7! I say WLW just do a "how Barry got treated so poorly" segment marathon for the next week and we can just talk about it forever and ever until next baseball season!! woo hoo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EKURed
    It is the Reds' right to do what they want to do...they don't owe him anything.
    Is that how you would feel if you worked for a company for nearly 20 years? That they don't owe you anything?

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Is that how you would feel if you worked for a company for nearly 20 years? That they don't owe you anything?
    Apples and oranges. This isnt corporate America we are talking about here.

While the Reds' FO leaves a lot to be desired on many fronts, and Barry Larkin is one of my favorote Reds of all time....they absolutely made the right choice in this matter. People that think Barry was willing to be a backup/utility guy behind Lopez, or that think that he is capable of playing 140 games at SS next year at the age of 41 are as delusional as he is. It is time for Lark to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by NKyRedMachine
    Apples and oranges. This isnt corporate America we are talking about here.
    Baseball is not a business? The players are not employees?

Larkin held down a position for 19 or so years. A comment was made that the Reds don't owe him anything. I fail to see how that isn't analogous to someone else having a job for that long and saying his company doesn't owe him anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I want to listen to Andy Furman and drunk talk show callers with southern accents go on about this 24/7! I say WLW just do a "how Barry got treated so poorly" segment marathon for the next week and we can just talk about it forever and ever until next baseball season!! woo hoo!!!
    *POOF*

Your wish is granted.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Baseball is not a business? The players are not employees?

Larkin held down a position for 19 or so years. A comment was made that the Reds don't owe him anything. I fail to see how that isn't analogous to someone else having a job for that long and saying his company doesn't owe him anything.
    But Rosie, they tried to give him his due, he cancelled it. What do you suggest that they do for him? Have him fly in from his home to say "Barry, we're not gonna be able to use you next year" as one person suggested? Just not sure where the poor treatment is.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

No, but during the organizational meetings in Sarasota (where they made the decision) they were 60 miles away from Larkin's home in Orlando.

They could have done it to his face like professionals

On a side note...Carl Lindner and John Allen called WMP and congratulated him on his player of the week honors...they weren't involved in telling Barry Larkin he's no longer needed on this team

When there's nice things to say, John and Carl do something...when there's things that need to be done that aren't always favorable...they hide behind the GM
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-13-2004 at 03:53 PM.

Actually Lindner treated Larkin pretty well with that three year contract extension and having him come back for the 2004 season.

What did you want Lindner and Allen to do.....kiss Larkin's feet?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Lindner kept him here...that's fine...he saved the day on that one and gave Larkin and most fans what they wanted

They could have met with him in person (60 miles from each other) and did it professionally...instead they use the phone, much like Bowden firing Perez over the phone

He trashed John Allen nonstop for the last month of the season. What did he expect -- a teary-eyed John Allen to drive over to his house and give him a hug and a kiss? Larkin only has himself to blame for the way things ended (which really weren't all that bad).

I said earlier I put blame on both sides.....Barry did run his mouth, which he shouldn't have done

...but as an ORGANIZATION, taking the easy way out (telephone) rather than the professional way (face to face - which wouldn't have been difficult), to me doesn't show professionalism, especially to the captain of the team who has given his heart and soul to the organization for his entire career

I don't expect them to give him a day...they had that set, but Barry cancelled it

Turn Off Ads?