Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...

What's funny is they talk about it's time to give the younger guys the opportunity to play, which is fine (however, Larkin not having a role for this club doesn't make a ton of sense)....but then they say guys like Edwin Encarnacion are too young to be in the majors

...kinda contradicts itself, don't you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I can't locate his stats quickly, but IIRC, around his selection he had a very solid 350+ OBP and other good stats. Only 1 or 2 errors.
    It was on merit, don't rewrite history.
    If you think he was handed it, who deserved the slot more?
    Larkin was 11th in Runs Created for SS, pre-asb this year.

As for who deserved it more, let's take a look at K. Matsui,

Runs Created
    Matsui 51.0
    Larkin 33.7

RC/27
    Matsui 5.14
    Larkin 4.59

RC/TPA
    Matsui 0.130
    Larkin 0.119

OBP
    Matsui .336
    Larkin .344

SLG
    Matsui .411
    Larkin .403

OPS
    Matsui .747
    Larkin .747

Matsui's 17.3 more created runs before the asb is enough to show that he deserved it more, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Agreed. get rid of all players that want to compete for victories, to see the best players playing, to improve their teammates, and will be displeased to see the club run in a counterdirection. Nasty, nasty influences.
    You know what, if I thought for a minute that Barry Larkin's top priority of the past couple seasons was the number of victories, then I might agree with you. But after the umpteenth article where Barry offered up nothing but negative comments about the FO, I have a hard to time believing he's driven by much more than petty differences of opinion.

Like I said, I like Barry, but the syrup-y sweet, deluded sentimentality of some on this board is fast changing that opinion.

Traderumor- Barry Larking not getting offered a contract was front page on ESPN.COM. Why do you act like it's such a non issue? The guy has been playing baseball in this city for twenty years and i'm damn proud people still care about him.
    This clearly isn't an issue about the 25th roster spot and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    You know what, if I thought for a minute that Barry Larkin's top priority of the past couple seasons was the number of victories, then I might agree with you. But after the umpteenth article where Barry offered up nothing but negative comments about the FO, I have a hard to time believing he's driven by much more than petty differences of opinion.
    if your concern was number of victories and your perception was that the FO was not concerned with number of victories, then logically you'd offer up nothing but negative comments about the FO

if your concern was number of victories and your perception was that the FO was not concerned with number of victories, then logically you'd offer up nothing but negative comments about the FO
    Whatever. You think one way, I another. I happen to like my baseball players a tad more cheerful and appreciative. Kinda like going to a summer blockbuster and having the dude behind me whispering in my ear the whole time complaining about the soundtrack choices, costume design or casting. It's not politics. It's not social services. And I don't care if Orson Welles' version of Gladiator would have been any better!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    What's funny is they talk about it's time to give the younger guys the opportunity to play, which is fine (however, Larkin not having a role for this club doesn't make a ton of sense)....but then they say guys like Edwin Encarnacion are too young to be in the majors

...kinda contradicts itself, don't you think?
    Actually, no. Some young guys are ready and some are not. They don't think Ed E is ready yet. He may prove them come ST but they all seem to think he needs a year in AAA. What role should barry have? He says he'd be one but he may just change his mind next year. Then you will have the same thing all over again that happened the last 2 months of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Whatever.
    great word. always trumps the logic card.

I'm very sad to see him go. I think he deserves some of the blame but primarily I fault the front office because he's clearly one of the Reds 25 best players, regardless of age. I started watching the team right about the team Barry became the starting SS and I'm really going to miss watching him play and what he meant to the team. I'll remember all his good memories, particularly 1990 and 1995. Watching the Reds with whoever at shortstop just won't be the same for me.

By the way, for those who suggest that the Reds are looking to improve defensively in the infield by making this move, I think I can say with almost certainty that no team looking to improve their defense tries out Austin Kearns at third base.

Boss

Larkin should have just took his day the Reds offered and moved on. I remember him talking after last season when they agreed he would play 1 more year and retire with a day in his name. I thought that was pretty nice thing to do since it did not appear the Reds would not contend this year.
    Larkin played better than most expected , but the injuries just kept cropping up. The injuries will not go away. If he wants to play another year then I wish him luck and if the Reds have a change of heart and resign him then I hope he can contribute. This same thing happened to Dave Concepcion and that seemed to work itself out.

Like I said, I like Barry, but the syrup-y sweet, deluded sentimentality of some on this board is fast changing that opinion.
    If you like Barry, it must be a thin definition of "like" if something a few people are saying on here is enough to change your mind -- especially if you're referring to "sentimental" comments.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

"El pez muere por la boca"

-Barry "The Fish" Larkin.

BTW I predicted this outcome ---yeah for me :gac:

Agreed. get rid of all players that want to compete for victories, to see the best players playing, to improve their teammates, and will be displeased to see the club run in a counterdirection. Nasty, nasty influences.
    Yes, we need more Barry Larkins...

-We need more guys who refuse to go on the DL b/c they "might be able to go" at some point in the next 14 days.

-We need more guys who undercut virtually everything the front office says and takes slams at them on a consistent basis in the media rather than in private.

-We need more guys who put their batting average and statistics over the development of the team's future.

-We need more guys who complain anytime one of their boys gets traded, regardless of what it means to the team's present and future.

-We need more guys who turn everything into a players vs. management/coaches environment.

-We need more guys who are unwilling to move to or learn another position to make room for others and make themselves more versatile.

Shall I continue?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    he's clearly one of the Reds 25 best players, regardless of age.
    Boss
    Yes, and the Reds clearly need decent bench players that can hit. I guess the Reds will be relying on the starting eight to carry the whole load.

[QUOTE=PuffyPig]Lopez (and even Machado) are way better options at SS than larkin at this stage of his career.

I'm convinced that we are not going to improve enough unless our middle infield defense improves.

QUOTE]

They will get to more balls but Casey is going to need to grow 2 feet in order to catch all those throws headed for the stands. Didn't both have over 30 errors last season in part of a AAA! I don't think anyone is saying Larkin should be starting SS over Lopez. But I would much rather see him on the bench than the current list of possiblities.

First signing Miley and then this I now hold out NO hope the DanO is going to be a good GM. :dflynn:

Turn Off Ads?