Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...

Re: AP is reporting that Larkin is not coming back...

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Can someone please explain to me why it's so important the Reds cut ties with Barry Larkin?
    He is the past, albeit a good one. The future at SS lies somewhere other than Larkin.

Sentimentality is the only reason to keep him around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    They shouldn't have any trouble getting Barry to say something "quoteworthy".
    If the quote includes the phrase "it's a joke," or "that's fine," then you must all bow before me. :notworthy

If the quote includes both, I want FCB's kid.
    Makes all the routine posts.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

O'Brien was hired to steer this team in a new direction. This is a move in that new direction.

There is a lot of time this offseason to pick up a new shortstop and I'm not going to expend energy complaining about this move or its ramifications until I see who is the starting SS is in 2005.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum
    Good. They are far better off without Larkin.
    Funny thing to me the Reds were in first place the beginning of the year when LArkin was playing on an everyday basis.

Quote Originally Posted by iammrred
    Beat out? He was handed the selection on a silver retirement platter.
    I can't locate his stats quickly, but IIRC, around his selection he had a very solid 350+ OBP and other good stats. Only 1 or 2 errors.
    It was on merit, don't rewrite history.
    If you think he was handed it, who deserved the slot more?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I can't locate his stats quickly, but IIRC, around his selection he had a very solid 350+ OBP and other good stats. Only 1 or 2 errors.
    C'mon, REDREAD and Princeton, surely you don't think Larkin was chosen to the AS game based on merit? That is rewriting history. He was picked because it was his last year (horse) and then he said "cancel my retirement, I'm an All-Star baby" (cart)

Again, we are debating the 25th player on the Reds roster, Larkin over Castro

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Again, we are debating the 25th player on the Reds roster, Larkin over Castro
    I hope we have seen the last of Castro as well. What's the point of a 30 something utility player that can't hit?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD

He was probably the fourth-best shortstop in the bunch, behind Renteria, Wilson and Izturis (Izturis may have had more errors, but he was a much better defensive shortstop).

However, there were many snubs at other positions (Overbay or even Dunn, for example) in which the spot would have been better used.

Actually, I have no problem having a sentimental/final sign off pick each year, and seeing how people thought it was Larkin's final year, I suppose it makes sense. However, he didn't earn it with strictly his 2004 performance (although it was in no way a bad one).
    Last edited by iammrred; 10-12-2004 at 05:16 PM.

lets see.. it wasnt about the money. but he was hitting near .300 all season until his injury, thenthey say they havent made any decision on CAstro, but will have to keep 2 young Shortstops for next season, not to mention we have no veterans off the bench with LArkin, Cruz and Vanderwall now gone.. sure looks like they are going in the right direction,, in the direction of "Cheap".. wait til 2006 will be the cry in spring training.. sad

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I hope we have seen the last of Castro as well. What's the point of a 30 something utility player that can't hit?
    he doesn't complain, just takes his meds and watches the television and goes to bed at the right time

Quote Originally Posted by IBCK40
    lets see.. it wasnt about the money. but he was hitting near .300 all season until his injury, thenthey say they havent made any decision on CAstro, but will have to keep 2 young Shortstops for next season, not to mention we have no veterans off the bench with LArkin, Cruz and Vanderwall now gone.. sure looks like they are going in the right direction,, in the direction of "Cheap".. wait til 2006 will be the cry in spring training.. sad
    Wow, we and to think we could have a winner if we just brought back the above triumvirate.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    he doesn't complain, just takes his meds and watches the television and goes to bed at the right time
    Probably doesn't fart and then fan the covers either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Comparing Jimmy Haynes contract with this decision about Barry Larkin is just stupid. Please give me even a little bit of correlation.
    Actually, I don't think so. Haynes' 2-yr deal was for a performance that few if any thought he could duplicate...and had the Reds done a modicum of research into the data they could have saved themselves that financial headache. Those doubters were proven right. Any contract given Larkin would be on the premise that his first-half results would be attainable and sustainable...which nearly anyone can agree is not possible.

Not only does Barry not not make sense in the field, but he's hardly done much for morale in the clubhouse with his negative comments about the FO. People like to complain that this team has ZERO ability in public relations dept and I would argue that getting rid of Larkin just may be a step to correct that. Is he the reason the Reds have struggled? No. Not by himself. But he is part of a bigger problem which I would identify as a culture of displeasure that has bred itself into the fabric of this club. After all the good that we saw from this club in the last month, month and a half, it's really disappointing to hear Larkin denegrate the FO and future of the club in a presser he called following his final game.

Barry Larkin will always be one of my top-5 Reds...but it's time for the club to move on. Players get old and cranky.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    The Reds can scratch up a non-complaining utility guy for the league minimum, though. No need to pay veteran's wages for essentially the same non-production we can get out of, say, Olmedo.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    he is part of a bigger problem which I would identify as a culture of displeasure that has bred itself into the fabric of this club.
    Agreed. get rid of all players that want to compete for victories, to see the best players playing, to improve their teammates, and will be displeased to see the club run in a counterdirection. Nasty, nasty influences.

Turn Off Ads?