Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 152

Thread: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

  1. #61
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,902

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yes they were, well anderson at least but what do you want for nothing?

    You say Machado won't be anything, but the fact is he can field and take a walk, plus he has speed... those are tools and they are good to get cheap
    I agree that those trades were good. The cost to the Reds was practically nothing, and I doubt another team would've given up more.

    I'm not going to get too excited about Hancock's relatively good 5 starts (or whatever his brief appearance at the end of the year was). I've seen too many Acevados get lit up the 2nd or 3rd time a team sees them.

    You have a good point, maybe Machado will amount to something better than Juan Castro Jr. If he does, I'll go back and retroactively raise DanO's grade for this year.

    The point I was trying to make though, is that when Hancock and Machado are the best things on your resume, that doesn't deserve a high first year grade. The Phillie trades were good, but everything else DanO did, ranged from mediocre to disastrous.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,219

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    The point I was trying to make though, is that when Hancock and Machado are the best things on your resume, that doesn't deserve a high first year grade. The Phillie trades were good, but everything else DanO did, ranged from mediocre to disastrous.
    I give him an I.

    But he's officially on Dean Wermers Double Secret Probation watch.

  4. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    985

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits
    Letting your 5th best hitter go that wanted to come back and be willing to play for less than 1 mil be considered a plus move it gives you an idea of how bad of first year was.
    The direction of this organization should be toward the future - 2006, 2007, etc. Yes, putting the best team on the field should be an objective at all times, but Dan O'Brien's goal from Day 1 was to build this organization into a winner for the future.

    In order to do that, you have to give the future a chance. Keeping Barry Larkin for 2005 would be completely counter to everything else this organization is trying to do. The argument's been beaten to death, but the move gets a plus from me because it was time. It was time last year and it's way past time now.

  5. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    985

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    A year ago I thought DanO had two must-dos at the major league level: move at least one of the big three contracts and pick up arms for the long-term. He did neither.
    This is the point that I keep hearing people bring up that just perplexes me to no end.

    Now, from the way I read this, you're marking off a couple points on DOB's resume for not doing a couple of things. If that's the reasoning, I completely understand it and it's a valid negative for him.

    However, what I hear a lot of people saying is that they see it as a negative that DOB and the Reds haven't tried to move some contracts or haven't tried to sign a free agent or haven't tried to sign Dunn to a LTC.

    The problem with that argument is that we don't know everything these guys are trying to do. When Bowden was in charge, you heard rumors every day on TV and in the papers about deals, signings, etc. because that's how he oprated. He leaked more stories to the press than an old Chevy. Therefore, everyone was always aware of what he was trying to do and always had the impression that "Hey, Bowden's trying to do this" or "Bowden's really working hard."

    With DOB, it seems like he's the kind of guy to keep things quiet. He doesn't seem to want all that out in the press. As a result, people don't hear things and assume he's not doing anything. Making trades, signing players and extending contracts takes more than one party, folks.

  6. #65
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,321

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    However, what I hear a lot of people saying is that they see it as a negative that DOB and the Reds haven't tried to move some contracts or haven't tried to sign a free agent or haven't tried to sign Dunn to a LTC.
    Try or try not. DO or DO NOT. There is no try.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  7. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,359

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    It takes two teams in order to do the MLB tango.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  8. #67
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,321

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    It takes two teams in order to do the MLB tango.
    And that being said, there have been some UGLY contracts that moved to different beats at trade sockhops in recent years.

    You either put a good team on the field or you don't. Effort doesn't play into it.

    I'm sure Jim Bowden tried very hard to improve the Reds' pitching.

    See?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  9. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    985

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    And that being said, there have been some UGLY contracts that moved to different beats at trade sockhops in recent years.

    You either put a good team on the field or you don't. Effort doesn't play into it.

    I'm sure Jim Bowden tried very hard to improve the Reds' pitching.

    See?
    My point was that some people aren't judging it that way. Some people are criticizing him for not trying, not necessarily for what he has or has not accomplished.

  10. #69
    You know his story Redsland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    7,714

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    I can't speak for everyone, but I don't criticize him for not trying; I criticize him for not doing.

    As M2 said, DanO's in a show-me job. So far he hasn't shown much.
    Makes all the routine posts.

  11. #70
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,485

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    I guess I used the word "try", but his inability to "do", I surmised that he wasn't trying hard enough. Conjecture? Sure?

    But you can't argue with the lack of results.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  12. #71
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,659

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    DanO has to be given more time. He inherited a mess IMO. He has taken some risks his first year, and has had some successes, and also some mistakes. But it's just too early to tell. But I thik his main objective is to get our pitching straightened out. And not necessarily via FA, but by building up our program in developing young pitching. He has made strides in this area IMO.

    But he has to address this BP in the off-season. He has released some players (which is good). Now he must do his homework and fill the voids aptly.

    Dano is no Jim Bowden (and thank God!)
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  13. #72
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,485

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Who's to say he's not going to put some wheels in motion this offseason?

    I'm definitely hopeful he can bring some quality to the organization in one way or another.

    The thing is, he's not shown a propensity for the dramatic deals that need to be made to right the ship.

    What's his contract length? Three years? Five years?

    He needs to get cracking.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  14. #73
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,902

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    . But I thik his main objective is to get our pitching straightened out.
    And he's failing miserably, IMO.
    Other than Todd Jones (who was just a 1/2 season bandaid), every pitching move he's done has backfired.
    Although the jury is out on Hancock, he doesn't project to be a guy to brag abuot.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  15. #74
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,659

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    And he's failing miserably, IMO.
    Other than Todd Jones (who was just a 1/2 season bandaid), every pitching move he's done has backfired.
    Although the jury is out on Hancock, he doesn't project to be a guy to brag abuot.
    What moves in particular? Reitsma?.... maybe. I was never a Reitsma fan though.

    But what others? He tried to utilize what he had on hand (or what was handed down to him). Dumping Haynes and dealing Lidle were good moves. Releasing some of the BP guys at season's end were good moves.

    His objective is to continue to bring some of the younger arms along in this organization, while also making some acquistion (not high priced FA's) to add to and continue that process. Are you saying he should have had instant results in his first season?

    While I agree they did a very poor job with the BP they assembled (they tooks some risks that didn't pan out), we got to see some maturity (and hope) out of a couple young guys in '04.

    Plus...what was available on the market during the season (pitching-wise) that could have been obtained. When you have teams taking a serious look at Estes, then you know it's lean.

    I still believe RR that we would go along way to helping ourselves in '05 if we emphasize our middle relief/BP. I'm not sure to the exactness of this stat (help anyone?); but didn't we blow 30+ games in the 7th inning or beyind when we were either tied or had the lead? That's atrocious.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  16. #75
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: How Would You Rate O'Brien's First Year As GM?

    Are you saying he should have had instant results in his first season?

    Something that O'Brien and the Reds budget can do is to seriously strengthen the bullpen and bench to a degree of respectability for the coming season. We shall see if they do.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 10-28-2004 at 12:57 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25