Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays "aggressively" moving to trade Eric Hinske to the Reds

Re: Blue Jays "aggressively" moving to trade Eric Hinske to the Reds

Why the rush to trade? Is he out of options?

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds won't be able to take on the entire $12.95 million still owed Hinske over the next three seasons -- $3 million next season, $4.325 million in 2006 and $5.625 million in 2007 -- so the Jays will have to agree to pay part of it to make a trade.
    If this is true, is the writing on the wall for Jimminez? I'm guessing Jimmeniz will get close to 3 million in 2005. Walker was shipped out when he got that pricey.

Granted though, if Hinske doesn't improve, Jimmeniz is a better player.

I'm going to buck the trend and say I wouldn't trade Graves for
    Hinske. The problem is that we need help in the bullpen too.
    The premise of unloading Graves is to get 7 million in payflex
    to more efficiently spend on other pitching. If you could talk
    the Jays into taking Graves (doubtful), there's no way they'd
    subsidize Hinske's contract (my guess).

So, you unload Graves, but due to Hinske's contract, you really
    haven't gained much payflex. In theory, you have 4 million for 2005,
    but my guess is that Allen would hold on to that to pay off the rest
    of Hinske's contract.

The other line of thought is that once you get Hinske, you could move Hinske elsewhere and
    get the Graves' payflex.. but Hinske was that easy to move, wouldn't
    the Jays move him there instead of accepting Graves?

So, trading Graves kills the pen and gets you a mediocre 3b (assuming
    he doesn't get new life in Cincy).

The only reason this trade talk is alive is because Toronto is so desparate
    to move Hinske that they'll eat a chunk of his contract. If we can get
    him for a few mediocre prospects and he's heavily subsidized, then sure,
    the Reds should do it. But, IMO, the bullpen is so thin that losing Graves
    would cost us more wins than Hinske would add.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    So, trading Graves kills the pen and gets you a mediocre 3b (assuming
    he doesn't get new life in Cincy).
    I would have to agree here. As much as I groan at the thought of Graves closing for another season, I don't see how this trade would strengthen us all that much, especially since we'd be back to square one with fitting in all of the outfielders.

Aside from that, if Graves has another really good first half save wise and the Reds aren't in the race, he might still be able to fetch something good at the deadline from a team who really needs bullpen help. His contract will be almost over after all and that might make it easier to make a deal then.

If the Reds could get Hinske at a low return while having the Jays pay a portion of his contract, it's worth the gamble.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I'm with Redread, why dump Graves to spend it on Hinske. DG will probably win more games next year.

I find it hard to believe that Ricchardi would take Graves on. It's probably a straight up dump on Toronto's part, and they think the Reds are dumb enough to take the bait.

Not that Hinske's the worst they can do, but there is no way they can lose a guy like Jimmenez in the deal....And I'd also wonder which prospects (if any) 'ol J.P.'s got his eyes on. The Reds might be wise to really look closely at what they'd be giving away.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Don't know much about Hinske. I do think it is a good idea to have a professional third baseman on the team. Last year's team did not have one.
    Somebody who can field the position and hit decently in the seventh spot.

Code:
    Year	AB	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	K	SB	OBP	SLG	AVG
    2002	566	158	38	2	24	77	138	13	365	481	279
    2003	449	109	45	3	12	59	104	12	329	437	243
    2004	570	140	23	3	15	54	109	12	312	375	246
    Total	1585	407	106	8	51	190	351	37	336	430	257
    the real question is if the Reds got him, and he went back to his rookie form, what becomes of Encarnacion?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Can he pitch?

If not, then the Jays had better be paying big chunks of his contract because the Reds need to spend whatever PayFlex they've got on quality arms.
    Exactly. I'm not convinced this team has a hole at 3rd base (freel, Lopez, Kearns) that needs filled by anything less than a bonefide superstar.

This team needs top-shelf pitching.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

ODERED

Re: Blue Jays "aggresively" moving to trade Eric Hinske to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    http://www.sports-wired.com/players/....asp?Name=ECHJ

This could work. I'd want to see who the Blue Jays wanted back (D'Angelo Jimenez?) and how much of that salary they'd want to pick up first.

Eric is a better option than Freel, Castro, Larson, OR Hummel... and if Austin Kearns doesn't move to third. If I'm DanO, I table this until we have the early returns on Austin.
    Great, so the Reds get sloppy seconds.

MLB player's Range Factor at 3B who had 81 or more games at the positon...and the myriad of players Cincinnati had. i'm pretty sure Lopez and Hummel are skewed very much (judging by their career numbers there) by having played less than 30 games at 3B
    Code:
    Freel		3.42
    Lopez		3.16
    Chavez		3.10
    Castilla		3.08
    Tracy		3.07
    Rolen		3.06
    Hummel		2.99
    Beltre		2.97
    Bell		2.88
    Randa		2.87
    Mora		2.83
    Alfonzo		2.78
    Munson		2.77
    Castro		2.69
    Batista		2.65
    Blake		2.64
    Jones		2.64
    Lowell		2.64
    Burroughs	2.62
    Wigginton	2.62
    Koskie		2.56
    Huff		2.53
    Mueller		2.53
    Blalock		2.50
    Larson		2.45
    Crede		2.43
    Hinske		2.40
    Ensberg		2.39
    Rodriguez	2.39
    Ramirez		2.26
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

This must be all the buzz today, third different website I've seen that's brought it up

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/natio...kie041027.html

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Corey Koskie couldn't lead the Minnesota Twins to the American League Championship Series with a strong post-season, but may have increased his market value.

According to Wednesday's Toronto Sun, the Blue Jays are said to be serious about trading third baseman Eric Hinske to Cincinnati, which doesn't boast an everyday player at the position.

In turn, the Jays would pursue Koskie, who is set to become a free agent after the season. Anaheim's Troy Glaus is expected to be another sought-after free agent.

Koskie, 31, batted .308 with two runs batted in during Minnesota's divisional series loss to the New York Yankees. That followed a disappointing season at the plate by his standards (.251, 25 home runs, 71 RBIs in 118 games).

Hinske, on the other hand, hit .246 this season with 15 homers, 69 RBIs and 109 strikeouts in 570 at-bats. A far cry from 2002 when the 27-year-old batted .279 and slugged 24 HRs and 84 RBIs to win AL rookie of the year honours.

It's believed the Reds wouldn't be able to shoulder the entire $12.95 million still owed on Hinske's five-year contract signed during the 2002 off-season, so Toronto would have to pick up some salary to complete a deal.

Former No. 1 pick Brandon Larson started the season at third base for Cincinnati and was later released. Juan Castro, Tim Hummell and former Blue Jay Ryan Freel also had stints on the corner.

Koskie, a native of Anola, Man., has never returned to his form of 2001 when he hit .276 with a career-high 26 HRs and 103 RBIs. Injuries also have prevented Koskie, who earned $4.5 million US this season, from playing more than 140 games in each of the last three seasons.

He missed 35 games in 2004 with injuries to his wrist, sternum and ankle. He also suffered from on-and-off back pain.

However, Koskie did have a .342 on-base percentage, a favourite statistical category of Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi. Hinske's on-base percentage was .312.
    Wonder if there is a baseball reporter hotline that JP Ricciardi keeps calling and leaving messages that this trade is going on

The Reds should sign Koskie
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

None of this third base talk helps our biggest need PITCHING lets not take our eye off the REAL PROBLEM. GO CINCY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    Code:
    Year	AB	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	K	SB	OBP	SLG	AVG
    2002	566	158	38	2	24	77	138	13	365	481	279
    2003	449	109	45	3	12	59	104	12	329	437	243
    2004	570	140	23	3	15	54	109	12	312	375	246
    Total	1585	407	106	8	51	190	351	37	336	430	257
    the real question is if the Reds got him, and he went back to his rookie form, what becomes of Encarnacion?
    That is a problem I would not mind having
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?