Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays "aggressively" moving to trade Eric Hinske to the Reds

Re: Blue Jays "aggressively" moving to trade Eric Hinske to the Reds

Well, the most likely thing is that Hinske will repeat his dreadful 04 campaign, seeing as though he's closest to that season. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could return to 2002 form, but it's not a risk the Reds NEED to take; they NEED to take these kinds of risks with pitchers. And bottom feed for offense. The offensive core of this team is enough as it stands.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Well, the most likely thing is that Hinske will repeat his dreadful 04 campaign, seeing as though he's closest to that season. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could return to 2002 form, but it's not a risk the Reds NEED to take; they NEED to take these kinds of risks with pitchers. And bottom feed for offense. The offensive core of this team is enough as it stands.
    exactly. the Reds need to find some stuff pitchers (Jesus Sanchez, but used correctly unlike last time)...but that brings me to the question, does Gullet even know how to deal with power/stuff pitchers anymore?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Time is the Revelator.

Graves, LaRue, and Jiminez for Hinske, Frasor and Batista.

Well, the most likely thing is that Hinske will repeat his dreadful 04 campaign
    After looking at Hinske's minor league numbers, he looks like a pretty good candidate to return to his rookie of the year form.
    Code:
          G  AB OBP SLG
        --- --- --- ---
    AAA 127 459 373 532 
    AA  131 436 373 486
    A   204 713 389 513
    Hinske put up numbers similar to those minor league totals in his rookie year (365 OBP, 481 SLG). No reason to believe he can't return to those levels.

"he looks like a pretty good candidate"

Weighed against his contract, "pretty good" is not enough of an assurance for me, nor should it be for the Reds. Again, risk to reward.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I actually agree with that point. I was just pointing out that, based on his entire professional resume, it is NOT 'the most likely thing' that he'll put up a 312 OBP & a 375 SLG again.

i think the Brewers and Hinske would be a great match.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    I actually agree with that point. I was just pointing out that, based on his entire professional resume, it is NOT 'the most likely thing' that he'll put up a 312 OBP & a 375 SLG again.
    Fair enough. But why are the odds any better than 50/50 that he'll return to rookie form, particularly in light of the fact that his 2004 campaign was, unlike his 2003 campaign, essentially injury-free? Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I subscribe to Murphy's Law fairly stringently--so many things must go right before things go right for success to happen--success is the anomaly; failure is the rule.

why are the odds any better than 50/50 that he'll return to rookie form
    I'm just a big believer in guys always gravitating towards their 'normal' level of performance. Over his first five professional seasons, Hinske established himself as a solid 370 OBP, 500 SLG performer. On the whole, it is pretty rare for a guy under 30 to totally lose it. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but it is more the exception than the norm.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 10-27-2004 at 09:00 PM.

How much did Hinske's hand problem play in his drop in production? Can we afford two guys on this squad with hand problems vying to play 3B (Hinske or Kearns)?

This will definitely hurt their post-baseball careers at wanting to be hand models. :allovrjr:

In my dream world, we go for Glaus.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I would go after Koskie only if he is interested in 1 year deal.

Trading for Hinske would be just plain stupid, unless of course they wanted Jr in return.

This is a tough situation for the DanO.

Does he bring in decent guy (not Hinske, per se) knowing he's got quite a decent young stud waiting in the wings?

I don't think that the third base situation needs to be addressed via phenomenal measures.

Just bring in a guy with decent plate discipline that can field his position aptly on a one year deal.

Don't trade anyone of worth for him, and don't spend precious money that can be used for pitching.

See....There's this little hill in the middle of the infield, and there's a guy that throws the ball from it with the intent to make outs. What they need to do is find guys that are really good at it.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Does it bother anybody that having to pay Hinske(who isn't even that good) over $5M in 2007 could force the trading of Dunn, Pena or Kearns and block EE from a path to the majors?

It bothers me.

If the Reds are to start winning it isn't about acquiring an expensive 3b, it's the pitching, stupid.

If the Jays are willing to eat half his contract jump on it DanO.

In related news: Word on the street is that Kearns did well enough at instructional league that they'll continue having him work at 3B in the offseason.

Turn Off Ads?