Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays "aggressively" moving to trade Eric Hinske to the Reds

Re: Blue Jays "aggressively" moving to trade Eric Hinske to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    In related news: Word on the street is ...
    Who is your source? Antonio Fargas?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Does it bother anybody that having to pay Hinske(who isn't even that good) over $5M in 2007 could force the trading of Dunn, Pena or Kearns and block EE from a path to the majors?

It bothers me.

If the Reds are to start winning it isn't about acquiring an expensive 3b, it's the pitching, stupid.
    We're kindred souls, my friend.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I don't really like the idea of Hinske, considering we have EE and hopefully Kearns will pan out there, but I do like the fact that Cincinnati is already mentioned in a trade rumor.

I think this is going to be a pretty fun offseason.

It is all about the $ ... I'd rather have Cuddyer but I suppose the Twinkies aren't going for that ...

Graves and a shortstop suspect for Hinske - I'd do. Jays pay 1/2, I'd do. Would trade DJ for him though. EE is unproven. I am interested in major league players for a change.

Do we really think there will be a significant investiment in pitching?

From Thursday's Enquirer. It reads to me as if the Kearns move to 3rd is a feint, and that the Jays are more interested in moving Hinske than the REds are in acquiring him.

So far, so good for Kearns at third
    Experiment continues, but Reds discuss other 3B options

By Kevin Kelly
    Enquirer staff writer

Encouraged by Austin Kearns' progress at third base during an Instructional League stint that ended Friday, the Reds are making plans to continue the experiment through the offseason.

General manager Dan O'Brien said Wednesday, however, that no decision has been made regarding a position change for the 24-year-old outfielder.

"I would say there was some progress," O'Brien said Wednesday from St. Louis. "I think we need to keep it all in the appropriate context, because this is very much a sequential process, hopefully getting to an end result everyone is pleased with. But there are no promises."

The Reds are asking Kearns to follow a daily workout schedule for the next two months in Lexington.

Minor-league infield coordinator Freddie Benavides and first base coach Randy Whisler are devising the workout regimen. O'Brien said Kearns probably will be re-evaluated in early January.

"I definitely was doing a lot better by the time I left there than when I first got there," Kearns said Wednesday. "The last three or four days there, I was having trouble walking from all the stuff I was doing.

"In the infield, it's all about your legs. You've got to stay low and use your legs for everything. As far as fielding, I think I got a little smoother toward the end."

Kearns has played only outfield since coming to the major leagues in 2002 but did play some at shortstop and third base at Lafayette High School in Lexington. He agreed to the third base experiment when approached by the Reds after this past season.

Should this work, it would be favorable for the Reds, who are looking for an everyday third baseman and want Kearns' bat in the lineup with outfielders Adam Dunn, Wily Mo PeÒa and Ken Griffey Jr.

"I think by virtue of Austin's involvement down in the Instructional League, our priorities aren't quite the same going into the offseason as they might have been otherwise," O'Brien said. "So we are ... hopeful of the possibilities."

Last season was an injury-filled campaign for Kearns. He batted .230 with nine home runs and 32 RBI in just 64 games, missing 84 games while on the disabled list.

The Reds' need for an everyday third baseman is widely known around baseball.

A report in Wednesday's Toronto Sun said the Blue Jays were "aggressively" trying to move third baseman Eric Hinske to the Reds.

O'Brien confirmed Wednesday he has spoken with Blue Jays officials, as well as those with other teams in recent days, but termed those talks as being preliminary and somewhat generic in nature.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Graves for Hinske and a pitching prospect? Seems fair to me. How about you?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Kearns definitely has the arm for 3B. Lets hope the rest is there.

Personally, I'd stay way from these other guys. It's not our highest priority IMO. They'd haveta make me an offer I couldn't refuse.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I just don't know why you take on the salary when we need pitching. That's the end of the discussion for me, right there. Graves' contract is up at the end of the year anyway. If you could flip Hinske at the deadline, then do it if it lets you unload Graves, but that means Eric's going to have to play better than he has the last two years.

Too many things have to fall into place to make it work. I say skip it. Save the cash for proven starter(s).
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by guernsey
    From Thursday's Enquirer.
    "I would say there was some progress," O'Brien said Wednesday from St. Louis. "I think we need to keep it all in the appropriate context, because this is very much a sequential process, hopefully getting to an end result everyone is pleased with. But there are no promises."
    Curriculum of Baseball GM 101, week 2 topics - "How to have words come out of your mouth and say nothing" and "How to keep things open-ended".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I just don't know why you take on the salary when we need pitching.
    The Reds don't have to pay anybody until opening day, if they want to overshoot their payroll budget and not worry about it now is the time.

It's all Tetris, every piece makes other pieces more plyable.

Acquire a 3rd baseman and someone else who plays becomes the piece to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Curriculum of Baseball GM 101, week 2 topics - "How to have words come out of your mouth and say nothing" and "How to keep things open-ended".
    Ever get the feeling D.O looked at Bowden and decided to do a "Complete Opposite" ala George Costanza?

Here is a Bowden gem in relation to Dans wordy response of air.

“We probably have more pitching prospects in the minor leagues right now than we've had in the last 10 years,” Reds general manager Jim Bowden said. “Whether they're ready on Opening Day or in September, we'll find out.”

Sunday, September 29, 2002

I'd rather sign Hillenbrand...RH, line drive hitter, low Ks, can play 3rd and 1st.

Even w/Kearns (short term) and EdE coming, he'd be a solid guy to have on the bench.

But I agree on the poster above...let's solidify the pitching staff first.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    I'd rather sign Hillenbrand...RH, line drive hitter, low Ks, can play 3rd and 1st.

Even w/Kearns (short term) and EdE coming, he'd be a solid guy to have on the bench.

But I agree on the poster above...let's solidify the pitching staff first.
    Shea?

Ughhhh, free swinger who carries his whole game in his BA... he has 86 BB in his career... that's over 2100 ab's... that's Ricky Jordan country.

He smashed it at the BOB and stunk it up on the road... beware.

I'd love an All-Star 3B, too, but I'm thinking w/in the constraints of our budget

He's not awful:
    2004: 562 ABs, 68 R, 174 H, 36 2B, 3 3B, 15 HR, 80 RBI, 24 BB, 49 K, .310 avg, .348 oba, .464 slg, .812 ops
    Last edited by NJReds; 10-28-2004 at 12:03 PM.

Why do we pick up Hinske?

if #1) it allows us to move another, more undesirable contract (Graves) or #2) the cost in $$ and prospects is such that we cannot pass it up (TOR pays half his deal or something like that)

If we picked up Hinske and thought he could do the job, it would open us up to being able to trade another, more sought after commodity for pitching because it would take Kearns back out of the 3B mix.

You don't get a young kid of Hinske's production history prior to last year without some warts or paying through the nose. If you can counterbalance the risk, this is how small market teams hit it big. Joe Crede would be a similar player that I would look to target on the cheap if this was the plan.

Turn Off Ads?