Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds pick up Casey's option for '06

Re: Reds pick up Casey's option for '06

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I don't think this has anything to do with being a "sign" of anything. Let's not read too much into it. Casey was going to reach the incentives that automatically kicked in the extra year. Doing this is good PR in the sense tha it makes it look like they WANTED him bak. I'm not saying they don't, just that they really had no choice, so doing this is the best way to handle it.
    Bingo, take an inevitable and spin it into a positive.

Smart business by the Reds on this one. Now market the guy for cripes sake. The Reds have to get over this stress-the-team-instead-of-the-players mentality and start taking greater advantage of guys like Casey.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

$8.5m option for 2006, guaranteed w/ 2 AS or 1500 AB from 2003-2005
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

$8,500,000 is too much to pay Sean Casey.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Smart business by the Reds on this one. Now market the guy for cripes sake.
    Casey markets himself, the Reds just have to learn to play it that way.

He's a big smiling, pumping fist, lamp black and bat on the ball baseball player.

That stuff is heartland gold, it's a baseball brand.

Now with Barry gone Casey becomes the face of the organization, why I bet he is already more famous than Long John O'Reilly.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

He's a big smiling, pumping fist, lamp black and bat on the ball baseball player.

Now with Barry gone Casey becomes the face of the organization, why I bet he is already more famous than Long John O'Reilly.

I couldn't possibly agree more, as I'm sure you know.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I think it is great news as well.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

this is good too in helping clubhouse moral, especially after letting larkin go.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dammit! They did the right thing....how am I supposed to complain now? :

Making Casey a central figure in team ad campaigns, rather than say burglars who'll give you a pass if you have Reds memorabilia lying around, might help too.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Making Casey a central figure in team ad campaigns, rather than say burglars who'll give you a pass if you have Reds memorabilia lying around, might help too.
    That ad campaign was fox driven, they had one for every city, same shot sans the note and the eyeing of the material.

Look for a Giant Casey and Dunn pairing, two towering guys with bats.

That ad campaign was fox driven, they had one for every city, same shot sans the note and the eyeing of the material.

Look for a Giant Casey and Dunn pairing, two towering guys with bats.
    That's what they should do, but when's the last time the Reds took advantage of their own players on the marketing end of things?

I still say they should run spots where Casey chats up random folks at 1st base like it was his own talk show. You can make the interviewees as far flung as you want (a mock Queen Elizabeth trying to work a lead remains my personal favorite).

God forbid the Reds come up with something on their own instead of using Fox' "fill in the blank with the team name" advertisements. It reminds me of the old gag on Late Night with David Letterman where they would welcome a new affiliate with the same narration over a generic montage of footage and the only thing that would change would be when they said the city's name, a lake or river and what they produce. The voice that said those things was totally different than Letterman's voice which they used for the narration.

I just think it's a shame the Reds are so lacking in creativity that they choose to use generic ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Uh, the Reds aren't running those ads. They're being run by FOX.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    God forbid the Reds come up with something on their own instead of using Fox' "fill in the blank with the team name" advertisements.

I just think it's a shame the Reds are so lacking in creativity that they choose to use generic ads.
    The Reds can't tell Fox which ads to run during their games, much like they can't tell Skyline or Chevy or DHL which ads to run during their games.

I think it's just that Fox has a big ad department and they build a nationwide campaign every year with a series of generic commercials, as described above.

These are Fox promotions, just like a commercial for 24 or OC. They bear the cost, not the Reds.

And they aren't asking you to go to the ballpark, they're asking you to watch on TV.

Turn Off Ads?