Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds pick up Casey's option for '06

Re: Reds pick up Casey's option for '06

Casey gets $7.8 M in 2005, and $8.5 M in 2006.

$16.3 M over two years would go a really long way towards buying some better pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

And if we get rid of everyone else, that'll give us $50 million to put toward some pitching!

Quote Originally Posted by iammrred
    The Reds can't tell Fox which ads to run during their games, much like they can't tell Skyline or Chevy or DHL which ads to run during their games.
    No, but they can sell those ads to local stations and the local cable company which would put them on their local ads on ESPN and other stations where they put local ads on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

And if we get rid of everyone else, that'll give us $50 million to put toward some pitching!
    Not such a bad idea.

Really, if the Reds took what they are paying for position players and used it to pay pitchers and vice versa, they would win more ballgames. I'd bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Not such a bad idea.

Really, if the Reds took what they are paying for position players and used it to pay pitchers and vice versa, they would win more ballgames. I'd bet on it.
    Of course they would.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    No, but they can sell those ads to local stations and the local cable company which would put them on their local ads on ESPN and other stations where they put local ads on.
    I am so totally confused right now...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This also gives the Reds a better opportunity to trade him...his FA value would have been higher than what the Reds are paying him, so a team would take the smaller contract and the Reds could get something in return

Don't rule it out

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    This also gives the Reds a better opportunity to trade him...his FA value would have been higher than what the Reds are paying him, so a team would take the smaller contract and the Reds could get something in return

Don't rule it out
    I certainly hope you're right.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Matt, your radio station is playing this to mean that Casey won't be traded.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I am so totally confused right now...
    Let me see if I can enlighten you. The Reds decide to make some commercials advertising themselves. They go to the local TV stations or the TV stations come to them and the Reds agree to buy time for their commercials. They then make the commercials and the TV stations show them when they and the Reds think fans are going to watch. Not during "Oprah" or "Wheel of Fortune" but during the news or other shows like during UC basketball. Now, you know when you are watching ESPN and a commercial for some local used car company comes on? Those commercials are only being shown in the area that cable company serves. There might be a totally different commercial on in Covington as there would be in Cincinnati because two seperate cable companies serve the area. So what the Reds do is buy that time and have the cable company(ies) show those commercials. You don't need them on the actual telecast of the game. The game should be enough of a commercial.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Well, we know Casey will be the first baseman. And it is no secret the Reds are shopping for a third baseman. If the Reds do get a third baseman, what will our outfield look like next season?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

God forbid the Reds come up with something on their own instead of using Fox' "fill in the blank with the team name" advertisements. It reminds me of the old gag on Late Night with David Letterman where they would welcome a new affiliate with the same narration over a generic montage of footage and the only thing that would change would be when they said the city's name, a lake or river and what they produce. The voice that said those things was totally different than Letterman's voice which they used for the narration.

I just think it's a shame the Reds are so lacking in creativity that they choose to use generic ads.
    Generic front office. Generic GM. Just staying consistent. What's not to like?

Reds and 26.2's

yesssss! :gac:

In a perfect world, every baseball fan gets to see his or her favorite player stay on their team. Salaries, cost cutting, trading for "prospects", and other nasty things shouldn't be a part of this "perfect world."

Today..my baseball world got a little bit perfect! Captain Casey stays!

Tomorrow..of course I'll be sent back to reality...

But at this moment......2 more years of sticking the bat under his arm, tugging at the gloves...sticking one leg in...holding the hand up...sticking the other legs in...grinding the feet into the dirt...

yessssss!

Let me see if I can enlighten you. The Reds decide to make some commercials advertising themselves. They go to the local TV stations or the TV stations come to them and the Reds agree to buy time for their commercials. They then make the commercials and the TV stations show them when they and the Reds think fans are going to watch. Not during "Oprah" or "Wheel of Fortune" but during the news or other shows like during UC basketball. Now, you know when you are watching ESPN and a commercial for some local used car company comes on? Those commercials are only being shown in the area that cable company serves. There might be a totally different commercial on in Covington as there would be in Cincinnati because two seperate cable companies serve the area. So what the Reds do is buy that time and have the cable company(ies) show those commercials. You don't need them on the actual telecast of the game. The game should be enough of a commercial.
    I understand the concept of regional advertising, but what does that have to do with commercials for Fox?

The Reds do, in fact, do some TV advertising during the season on a variety of channels, from what I've seen. However, they're definitely more informational then entertaining (plugging a promotion, a big series, opening of the Hall, etc.). Of course, I don't see TV advertising as an effective way to spend money when you have what is probably a small marketing budget. Most people aren't going to decide to go to a game simply because of a TV commercial (unless it's in one of the "informational" ones). That's not to say it doesn't work. I remember Seattle having some really popular TV commercials a few years ago (Bret Boone, Jamie Moyer, Edgar and a bunch of players got involved), but I heard it ended up costing a fortune. For a team that was on the verge of something big, though, it was probably money well spent.

I understand the concept of regional advertising, but what does that have to do with commercials for Fox?

The Reds do, in fact, do some TV advertising during the season on a variety of channels, from what I've seen. However, they're definitely more informational then entertaining (plugging a promotion, a big series, opening of the Hall, etc.). Of course, I don't see TV advertising as an effective way to spend money when you have what is probably a small marketing budget. Most people aren't going to decide to go to a game simply because of a TV commercial (unless it's in one of the "informational" ones). That's not to say it doesn't work. I remember Seattle having some really popular TV commercials a few years ago (Bret Boone, Jamie Moyer, Edgar and a bunch of players got involved), but I heard it ended up costing a fortune. For a team that was on the verge of something big, though, it was probably money well spent.
    I didn't say it had anything to do with Fox commercials. RFS62 said it best when he said that those commercials are trying to get you to watch the games on TV. What the Reds need is for people to come out to the ballpark if they want to increase revenue enough to have a higher payroll. Even if they increased TV revenue to the level of St. Louis, if there was a corresponding increase in payroll it might be enough to offset annual arbitration increases but they still would be sorely lacking behind St. Louis in revenue from butts in the seats. I'm not saying having the Reds make their own commercials would be a panacea but it would be better than they have now which isn't much. As for cost, that could be a problem. But it's like having a big payroll. It's not what you spend but how you spend it. Have you seen anything creative come out of the Reds marketing department? They pretty much follow the lead of the other teams. Bobbleheads are popular so let's give away 3 or 4 bobbleheads a year. 3 or 4 easy sellouts. Celebriducks, nesting dolls, beanie babies? Sure, everyone else does it so it's safe. I'd like to see them come up with something on their own that other teams would ape instead of the other way around.

You want to create a demand for the product. You want people begging to buy tickets at any cost. It's entertainment. People want to be entertained and have fun. M2 is right when he says the Reds need to market the individual players more. That's true of any business. You market your assets. Why does Wal-Mart do such good business? It certainly isn't because of the customer service or the displays blocking the aisles. They do great business because they have low prices and they advertise it ad nauseum. The Reds need to do the same thing. They need to market their assets instead of hiding them under a bushel. You have one of the nicest, most fan-friendly guys around in Sean Casey. People love him here. Use that to your advantage. But I don't see any commercials with him in them unless they are for some charity he works with. They obviously believe he can do some good for their charity so why can't the Reds see that he can do some good for them? Use Dunn, use Kearns, use Jr. - which they have done in the past to the eclusion of others. Heck, use Wily Mo if he has any kind of charisma in him. maybe he's not the next Sammy Sosa just because of the way he hits. Maybe he has a bit of ham in him.

I don't have all the answers. But what has been going on lo these many years certainly hasn't been working. They certainly don't have to pay for RedsFest this year or the next. Use that money to make some ads and buy some commercial time. It won't be as easy as make a commercial and draw 3 million. But it may be a good first step.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?