Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

National Review's The Corner is saying that early exit polls in Ohio have Kerry up four

http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/corner.asp

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    National Review's The Corner is saying that early exit polls in Ohio have Kerry up four

Great news if true. And I've read that Democrats generally vote later in the day, so it should only get better.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

From the website-

Do not, again, do not take any exit poll resports too seriously. JUST GET OUT THE VOTE. Exit polls not always reliable, ESPECIALLY early ones. AND, this isn't over until the polls close. So please get to work while there is still time.

DO NOT get depressed. DO NOT get mad. JUST GET OUT THE VOTE.

I contend this is the most important election of many of our lifetimes. I'm almost willing to make a deal and give the Dems 2008 if we can have this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It's an early exit poll. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Remember they had Gore winning Florida easily at this stage in 2000.

It's an early exit poll. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Remember they had Gore winning Florida easily at this stage in 2000.
    I'm not. I tend to wish exit polls didn't exist, I actually didn't think they would since VNS disbanded after 2000. Who's taking these polls?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I'm not. I tend to wish exit polls didn't exist, I actually didn't think they would since VNS disbanded after 2000. Who's taking these polls?
    The National Election Pool
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I contend this is the most important election of many of our lifetimes. I'm almost willing to make a deal and give the Dems 2008 if we can have this one.
    I do not accept this offer. :

C-SPAN will have early numbers in about 10 minutes (3pm EST).

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    I do not accept this offer. :

C-SPAN will have early numbers in about 10 minutes (3pm EST).
    I didnt make it, that was from the website.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Today in the USA Today, each candidate got to pen an editorial called Why you should vote for me today

Bush
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...ede-bush_x.htm

Kerry
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...de-kerry_x.htm

Voter turnout, the last Forty years

Just to pass the time, here's some reports of what some are calling a record-breaking voter turnout:

Big early voter turnout creates long lines

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    By Roger Petterson

Nov. 2, 2004 | The rush to beat the Election Day crowds at the ballot box turned into a long wait in many places as large numbers of early voters created long lines that ran outside the doors and down streets.

Some determined voters had to wait in rain that fell from Texas to the lower Great Lakes. Texas Panhandle residents navigated snow-covered roads. And some voters in Kansas had to wait for a furnace to heat up.

Both parties had worked hard to boost turnout.

"Some polling places voted 25 percent of their entire registered voters in the first hour," said Tom Leach, spokesman for the Chicago Election Board. "That's just unheard of."

Curtis Gans, director of the nonpartisan Committee for the Study of the American Electorate, said as many as 117.5 million to 121 million voters could cast ballots by the end of the day _ 58 percent to 60 percent of those eligible. In the last presidential election, turnout was 51.2 percent of the voting age population, or 105.4 million voters, an increase of 2.2 percentage points from 1996.

"Compared to 2000, it's completely different," said polling inspector Berlin Sims in Bay Minette, Ala., where the line of people waiting to vote stretched around the civic center. That year, he said, "It was not even this heavy all day."

Many voters had already taken advantage of early voting in several states. Besides the presidency, voters were filling 34 Senate seats, 11 governorships and all 435 House seats.

___

On the southern Plains, up to 7 inches of snow fell overnight in the Texas Panhandle, and Randall County Clerk Sue Bartolino warned voters to be careful on the roads.

In southwestern Kansas, the polling place for several precincts in Garden City had to be moved because the furnace did not work in the Finney County 4-H building. The temperature was in the low 30s.

Snow was likely to cut turnout in nearby Grant County, but "the ones who vote all the time will get out," said county Clerk Linda McHenry.

___

Strangers shared umbrellas in the rain as voters endured waits of two hours or more at polling places throughout Ohio.

"It's our job," Amanda Karel, 25, an Ohio State University graduate student, said as she waited to vote at a banquet hall in Columbus. "It's what we're supposed to do." She added: "It's the only way to make the ads stop."

___

In Fargo, N.D., Shirley Blake said about 50 people were waiting when she opened a polling place, more than she had ever seen that early in more than a decade of working on elections.

___

"I've never had to wait in line before," Fred Flugger, 72, said at his polling place on Pittsburgh's South Side, where dozens of people were already waiting when he arrived shortly after polls opened. "Usually, if I had to wait, it would be three to four minutes."

___

"We wanted to come out early to vote but we never expected such a heavy turnout," Linda Russell said as she stood in line before polls opened in Raleigh, N.C.

Elsewhere in North Carolina, lines of voters snaked down sidewalks and across a street at a Durham precinct, where one man brought a chair to ease the wait.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Drudge has Kerry up in the exit polls in NH, PA, OH, MI, MN, WI, NM and FL.

He has IA tied.

The old axiom is that Republicans vote early and Democrats vote late. If that holds true, then Kerry's in very good shape.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I'm not Red Leader, but I'll give my opinion anyway. In no way do I feel that Edwards is near ready to run the country if it becomes neccessary.
    Read something once on which Presidents had the best and worst resumes for the job.

IIRC, Bush the elder had the best resume. Abe Lincoln had the worst.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Read something once on which Presidents had the best and worst resumes for the job.

IIRC, Bush the elder had the best resume. Abe Lincoln had the worst.

I've read a lot about Abe Lincoln in my life, and Sen. Edwards, you are no Abe Lincoln. :allovrjr:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Red Leader -

why are posting here but not in the Thread??
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?