Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Re: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Ok. To win, Kerry would need to successfully challenge Ohio, and pick up an additional 39 Electoral votes.

He'll get 10 from Minnesota. 17 from Michigan. He'd need Wisconsin (10) and Hawaii (4) to put him over the top. That'd leave him at 272.

Let's give Nevada to Bush (5 EV) as well as Iowa (7) and New Mexico (5). That would put Bush (without Ohio) at 266 Electoral Votes.

That would also leave our heads spinning because the challenges wouldn't stop after Ohio if Kerry's people were successful there. It could literally take months (plural) to sort out.
    The funny thing about all this is, if somehow Ohio fell to Kerry and Bush lost with 266 votes, Bush losing New Hampshire, which he won in 2000, is what would have cost him the election.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just flipped over to Fox and they're talking about because of the exit polls from earlier today, Kerry started to prepare his victory speech. I know I've been hard on the guy, but I feel bad for him. As recently as 6 or 7 hours ago, he thought he WAS going to be the President of the United States. It's got to be devastating as it now looks like that won't happen.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan
    Ohio seems to be a done deal.
    You must not be watching CBS, with the discussion of the 20,000 lawyers that will descend upon Ohio tomorrow. I don't think the Dems are planning to let the fat lady sing tonight.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    The funny thing about all this is, if somehow Ohio fell to Kerry and Bush lost with 266 votes, Bush losing New Hampshire, which he won in 2000, is what would have cost him the election.
    No doubt. But my biggest fear is that the challenges would continue. Bush would challenge the next closest state worth 4 or more electoral votes (Wisconsin would be a likely target) and back and forth and...blah.

They just need to divide each states Electoral College to the whole number by % of popular vote received by each candidate. God, would that be sooooo much easier.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

CBS just called Michigan for Kerry.

This is a handy page, btw.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/specials...orkcalls.story
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    You must not be watching CBS, with the discussion of the 20,000 lawyers that will descend upon Ohio tomorrow. I don't think the Dems are planning to let the fat lady sing tonight.

It's gonna end up over 125,000 it looks like. Unless those lawyers get to add their vote, no way. But they'll try, and then blame Bush for being divisive. Count em all, the whole state, that's all I'll say. If I see 20,000 lawyers just in Cleveland, then I'll lose it.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Queen Christine

I'm not gonna lie... I am a Bush fan, BUT i never thought he was gonna win, I wanted him to win, but i didn't think it was gonna happen. But I am glad that it is looking like Ohio is a done deal... and all he needs in NM.... the hell with the rest of the states... come on OHIO and NEW MEXICO!

Kennedy is with Kerry right now at Beacon Hill. Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall in that room!

Ted: "Lets take a drive John"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Kennedy is with Kerry right now at Beacon Hill. Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall in that room!

Ted: "Lets take a drive John"

Kerry - "You don't mind if I drive do you?"
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

ABC just pointed out that if Ohio is contested and each candidate goes on to win the states they currently lead in, Ohio tips the scale in either direction.
    /r/reds

You feel sorry for Kerry? A guy whose response to a 123,000 vote deficit in Ohio, is "mobilize the swarm of lawyers." It's a margin 8 times higher than the % required to trigger the recount. It's a clear demonstration that contesting the previous election had nothing to do with a legitimate grievance, or the red herrings of ballot problems etc... instead it had everything to do with suing when faced with losing, and trying to selectively recount until you can win. This is a significant margin in Ohio - Bush might as well start demanding legal recourse and recounts in every state he's losing by less than the margin in Ohio - and that's a ton of them. New Hampshire, Michigan, Minnesota et al...

Why not just letting lawyers determine the outcome of sporting events, while we are at it. Let's remember which side once again opted to introduce and pursue legal recourse over democratic process, once again - because in a few days they'll be spinning it that the Republicans were the ones who reverted to litigation. That's the revisionism we'll hear, despite a clear victory.

Well, I'm going to try to go to bed. I was really hoping I would have a definitive answer by now, but it looks like it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    ABC just pointed out that if Ohio is contested and each candidate goes on to win the states they currently lead in, Ohio tips the scale in either direction.
    What's the premise for contesting a state which is currently being decided by a margin 8 times greater than that which is required for a recount?

Concede Kerry...don't put the country though this. It's over.

They just announced John Edwards as the next VP of he United States.

Turn Off Ads?