Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Re: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

This was an interesting exit poll I saw on the Today Show earlier.

There were more people who voted because of moral issues than the economy. Im still looking for it, ill post it if I can find it.

Especially in Ohio, you have to think the marriage amendment turned out the Bush vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    I don't know what's uglier - the Democrats who are throwing a hissy fit because they think they lost, or the Republicans who are gloating like spoiled brats because they think they won.

I can't remember this nation being more fragmented than it is right now. Why hatred? These are your countrymen, people. Remember United We Stand, Divided We Fall? We're leading this country down the road to self-destruction, and not because Bush remains in office, but because 'We the People' hate each other. Other Nations are disgusted with us. The terrorists are laughing at us. And we can't get beyond our self-definition of ourselves by political party long enough to right the proverbial ship.

You shouldn't blindly fall into line bwhind your leader if you think he's wrong - you should always question and work for change. But you've got to take hate out of it. Hate has to go.

There's a real "North vs. South" sentiment bubbling just beneath the surface of the country, and that worries me. We are a country not only at war with the terrorists, but at war with ourselves as well. No good can come of this.
    I don't think we hate each other. At least I don't hate those whom I disagree with ideologically on here. And I have not gloated anywhere on this thread. Unless you consider the Pat Robertson humor gloating?

But I also heard several of my liberal friends on here the other day say they were ready to come on here and gloat WHEN Kerry won.

But you are right that there are huge divisions in this country, and it began in Washington with our politicians, and has spread like a "disease" over the last couple of decades to their respective constituencies. And there is such vast ideological differences in this country that I don't see any "healing" in the near future.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Especially in Ohio, you have to think the marriage amendment turned out the Bush vote.
    I think that's exactly why it was on the ballot for this election. There was no particular urgency to the gay marriage issue otherwise. Give credit where credit is due—to Karl Rove
    /r/reds

CNN is reporting that the entire thing may be decided by 2 pm today, as there may not even be enough provisional ballots to make up the deficit.

I hope that does happen, as the democratic process doesn't need to be sullied anymore, and we certainly don't need another 37 day recount.

And I really like what Zombie said before - all of this gloating/sore losing is really just petty at this point to be honest. We've become so wrapped up in red and blue, republican and democrat, that I think we're missing the point completely. Our country is not in the best shape nowadays - the economy is bad, we're at war, constantly under threat of attacks by terrorists. Instead of actually working together towards fixing these goals, all we seem to do nowadays is yell and fight with each other (when we're likely not that far apart on the issue at hand). One of my friends told me yesterday that he thought that the strength of this country lies with the people, not with the president - and I agree with him.

I think we've got to stop acting like the other side is the enemy and start realizing that we have some very serious problems - and that the only way to fix them is to work together.

Please excuse me if that didn't make any sense - I got about 3 hours of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I don't think we hate each other. At least I don't hate those whom I disagree with ideologically on here. And I have not gloated anywhere on this thread. Unless you consider the Pat Robertson humor gloating?

But I also heard several of my liberal friends on here the other day say they were ready to come on here and gloat WHEN Kerry won.

But you are right that there are huge divisions in this country, and it began in Washington with our politicians, and has spread like a "disease" over the last couple of decades to their respective constituencies. And there is such vast ideological differences in this country that I don't see any "healing" in the near future.
    I dont hate anybody on here, even those who I strongly disagree with. I do think we should still have a gloatfest for at least one day. The Dems can start up a pity party thread too.(Even though I think we will ultimately have both, just not officially named)

What amazes me is that with all the money, all the press, all the lies, all Michael Moore tried to do to bring down our commander in chief, all the attempts to get the kids out to vote for Kerry, and what did they do?

THEY DID NOTHING. The 18-24 year old the Dems tried to target stayed home on election day and played their Playstation 2's.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Just saw on Drudge that Bush has broken the all-time popular vote total, surpassing Reagan.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Don't gloat folks. Seriously.

The election is over. Now its time to have a little more civility. Hopefully Kerry realizes the mathmatical impossibility of overtaking Bush in Ohio and conceeds. Then we can move on.

But don't gloat. Put yourself in the reverse position. Would you want someone to kick you while you're down?

So I'd just mute the victory dance for a while. Don't forget, those same people you're kicking are still your friends and neighbors and fellow Reds fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I think that's exactly why it was on the ballot for this election. There was no particular urgency to the gay marriage issue otherwise. Give credit where credit is due—to Karl Rove
    I don't give Rove that much credit, or the authority, to have this initiative put on so many state ballots. It had to start as a "grassroots" effort in each state, and enough signatures had to be garnered, to even get it on the ballot.

Rove is not that powerful and influential IMO.

Why did so many states start this drive, and put forth the effort to get it on state ballots to amend their respective constitutions?

How about activist judges in MA, CA, and other places, who ignored and superceded state laws on the books, to force the agenda? That is not their job. And IMO, it raised people awareness and "fear" over this issue.

So I place alot of the blame as to what happened on them, more then a guy like Rove.

But this issue was bound to come to a head at some point anyway in this nation. It could not be avoided.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Nothing sadder than exhibiting "fear" over gay marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Nothing sadder than exhibiting "fear" over gay marriage.
    Amen.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

ABC News has announced that Kerry will concede the election at 1:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    It's a symptom of the pure hatred many in the Democratic party feel for Bush. He could have won by 10 million votes in the popular vote and gotten 450 E. college votes and some would still claim he stole the election.
    Seems like a baseless accusation not founded in fact whatsoever. There's no evidence of this and I just don't see it happening.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Erf_the_Red

It was just reported that Kerry just called the White House to concede

Come on guys - WE'RE BETTER THAN THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Erf_the_Red
    It was just reported that Kerry just called the White House to concede
    I wonder if he'll call collect?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post