Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Re: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Cast my votes, had to wait in line about 15 minutes, which would be reduced to five if the poll workers weren't slower than Sean Casey trying to go first to third. My goodness, those folks move slow, and I have voted in three different polling places over my days (not this year, don't call Michael Moore just yet ), the same in each one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I walked across the street and voted(guess who?) around 7:45 AM. The people running the booth were saying they were turning people away at 6 AM because the polls didnt open until 6:30 and they didnt expect it to die down.

Others were saying that this could be the highest voter turnout in PKB.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

After looking at all the polls and doing my research, I officially predict that Dewey will defeat Truman. Oh, wait, nevermind. This could be another ugly one, though. A guy I work with said a friend of his was first in line at his polling place this morning, had ticket stub #0001. Went inside to vote and the machine wouldn't take his ticket. First one of the day and it's already acting up. They put his ticket off to the side and said his vote would be put in later. Just doesn't make you feel confident to hear problems right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Cast my votes, had to wait in line about 15 minutes, which would be reduced to five if the poll workers weren't slower than Sean Casey trying to go first to third.
    Hey now! I can forgive a lot of things ....... but them's fighting words, Mister !!!!! :gunsfirin
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Votes planted in Philadelphia per Drudge Report

Before voting even began in Philladelphia -- poll watchers found nearly 2000 votes already planted on machines scattered throughout the city... One incident occurred at the SALVATION ARMY, 2601 N. 11th St., Philadelphia, Pa: Ward 37, division 8... pollwatchers uncovered 4 machines with planted votes; one with over 200 and one with nearly 500... A second location, 1901 W. Girard Ave., Berean Institute, Philadelphia, Pa, had 300+ votes already on 2 machines at start of day... INCIDENT: 292 votes on machine at start of day; WARD/DIVISION: 7/7: ADDRESS: 122 W. Erie Ave., Roberto Clemente School, Philadelphia, Pa.; INCIDENT: 456 votes on machine at start of day; WARD/DIVISION: 12/3; ADDRESS: 5657 Chew Ave., storefront, Philadelphia, Pa... A gun was purposely made visible to scare poll watchers at Ward 30, division 11, at 905 S. 20th St., Grand Court. Police were called and surrounded the location... Developing...
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

For a Level Playing Field

One thing I noticed as I stood in line at 6:45 this morning... it is a weird smell. The mixture of cologne, perfume, coffee, orange juice, rain, wet leaves, senior citizen aromas (Ben-Gay?) early in the morning. Just a weird smell.

If it was not for judges, there would have been next to nothing to vote for in my area. The President, one Senate seat, my local school's request for a levy, OH issue #1 (marriage thing) and a few unchallenged local/state offices. It took me all of two minutes to complete my ballot. Then another 15 seconds to make sure there were no hanging chads!

A state election board official just reported in Florida that they have found "instances" where people have been caught voting numerous times (at one place, then going to another, then another). They wouldn't give details though, but just said they were confirmed "instances".

They then issued a warning that if people are caught doing so they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Wow, there's a Roberto Clemente school in Philadelphia? You'd think they'd name it after Steve Carlton or something.

More voting fun here, another co-worker came in with a fun story. She went to vote in a building that housed multiple precincts. Unfortunately, no one was there to handle voting for the other precinct. They all had to vote in her precinct with provisional ballots and have them sorted out later, which clogged up the lines for both precincts. This is getting uglier.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Wow, there's a Roberto Clemente school in Philadelphia? You'd think they'd name it after Steve Carlton or something.
    Bet some City Councilman who was a Pirates fan had a sick sense of humor

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Bet some City Councilman who was a Pirates fan had a sick sense of humor
    Considering who the first popular Black Player was for Philadelphia and you might get a hint why the HS is called Roberto Clemente High.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    A state election board official just reported in Florida that they have found "instances" where people have been caught voting numerous times (at one place, then going to another, then another). They wouldn't give details though, but just said they were confirmed "instances".

They then issued a warning that if people are caught doing so they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    The following was in the news before election day.

Oct. 21: Tens of thousands of Florida voters may be illegally registered to vote in two states, and more than 1,600 may have cast ballots in Florida and one of two other states in recent elections, the Orlando Sentinel reported in Friday's editions. The Sentinel examination of voting records from Florida, Georgia and North Carolina found more than 68,000 cases in which voters with the same names and dates of birth were registered in two states.

I just voted - lines were long and lots of college aged students (always good to see that)

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    The following was in the news before election day.

Oct. 21: Tens of thousands of Florida voters may be illegally registered to vote in two states, and more than 1,600 may have cast ballots in Florida and one of two other states in recent elections, the Orlando Sentinel reported in Friday's editions. The Sentinel examination of voting records from Florida, Georgia and North Carolina found more than 68,000 cases in which voters with the same names and dates of birth were registered in two states.
    There's nothing illegal about being registered to vote in two states, is there? If you move from Ohio to Indiana, register in Indiana and forget that you were registered in Ohio, you aren't violating law, are you? Now, if you actually vote in both states...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Considering who the first popular Black Player was for Philadelphia and you might get a hint why the HS is called Roberto Clemente High.
    Maybe they couldn't decide whether to name it Richie or Dick Allen High, so they settled for someone with one known first name

Voted early this morning and from what I saw the "kids" (my age, mid-20s) are coming out. No matter who they're/we're voting for, I like it.

Turn Off Ads?