Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Re: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Nice posts, zombie. I'm with you.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Where's the gloating? WVRed was being humorous and others seem to simply be glad that their gov't will be contolled by folks who likely stand for the things they hold dear. I hope my post didn't come off as gloating, because it really was just to express my gladness that the Conservative influence gained ground nationally, which I believe is a good thing. If I did sound like I was gloating, my apologies, that wasn't the intent.

Although, in all honesty, there may be a tinge of gloat in Daschle's loss

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    On a lighter note, I was watching the returns on CBS, and Dan Rather's little euphemisms gave me the giggles all night long. "Hotter than the Devil's anvil" and "don't taunt a gator 'til you've crossed the creek" were my personal favorites.
    Guess even Dan Rather knows, you should never cross creek. :allovrjr:
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

It was unbelievably somber on campus this morning. The first thing I heard today when I walked into the building was somone saying to me, "I hate your f'ing state." To use a sports analogy, the mood was probably similar to the moos in the Yankee dugout after game 7 of the ALCS.

I heard lots of "this is a sad day for America" and one person even sounded somewhat serious about leaving the country.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I posted earlier that I dont "hate" anybody on this board. If I wanted to vent out frustrations at anybody, it would be the celebrities. After all, there is nothing wrong with making fun of celebrities, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Originally posted by WVRed:

THEY DID NOTHING. The 18-24 year old the Dems tried to target stayed home on election day and played their Playstation 2's.
    I find it amusing that the 18-24 year old crowd is always considered in the Democrat fold. I hope that there are maybe a lot of young Republicans who voted their conviction in big numbers.

I'm real pleased that Bush has "seemingly" won the election with the report of Kerry's call to concede. I respect John Kerry a lot, if this is the case, for not dragging this thing into the courts and making another spectacle out of the election process. That shows a lot of class, and I would have expected the same from President Bush.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Republicans on the board being happy and celebrating the victory, just as there would be nothing wrong if Kerry had won and the Dem's on the board celebrated a victory. I hardly think that the Dem's among us would not have done just that. Four more years, and I'm not unhappy about it. Congratulations to President Bush, and the Republican party for a hard fought victory in both the Presidential election and the Senate and the House!
    :gac:

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    It was unbelievably somber on campus this morning. The first thing I heard today when I walked into the building was somone saying to me, "I hate your f'ing state." To use a sports analogy, the mood was probably similar to the moos in the Yankee dugout after game 7 of the ALCS.

I heard lots of "this is a sad day for America" and one person even sounded somewhat serious about leaving the country.
    Or after a loss to the Buckeyes

I still don't understand why Kerry didn't concede last night. Simple logic would tell you you're not going to make up a 140,000-vote difference in Ohio based on provisional ballots.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Congrats to all the Bush supporters on here, and my sympathies to all the Kerry supporters. I'm hoping we all have the character to move forward from this without a lot of fighting and vitrol.

Congrats to Bush, Cheney, and all of his campaign workers.

One overall comment I have I hope isn't offensive to Kerry supporters, but I think this election was less an indication of support for President Bush as much as it was an indication of Kerry not being a very good candidate. If they would have had a Clinton type of candidate, I really believe he would have ran away with it.

I think M2 has proven prophetic about his comments on John Kerry during the primaries. I've looked for his post, but the non-BB board doesn't go back far enough. He talked about why he thought Kerry wouldn't be able to win a national election and he based it on his experience interviewing and covering John Kerry in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I dont hate anybody on here, even those who I strongly disagree with.
    I don't either,

I have actually found those that I have crossed with in the past (baseball side) to be the most interesting and enlightening reads during this whole political process, I have been very impressed with their intelligent discerning thoughts and insights. They were such interesting reads that I was motivated to turn to this site each day to see what they had to add and was never disappointed, they, I found are very sharp and bright people.

Originally posted by MWM:

That's a lot of what's wrong. Regardless of who was elected, this is still the greatest country in the world. If that is the sentiment of some, I say adios.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I still don't understand why Kerry didn't concede last night. Simple logic would tell you you're not going to make up a 140,000-vote difference in Ohio based on provisional ballots.
    Why should it matter when he concedes? It's not like Republicans are gonna say, "Oh, what a great statesman he is." if he conceded last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Kerry to concede to Bush

Oops- this was mentioned in the other thread- sorry...delete or merge this if you see fit.

President Bush won a second term in office on Wednesday after a fiercely fought U.S. presidential election.

advertisement

NBC and the Associated Press reported that Sen. John Kerry called the president to concede the election.

Earlier, Kerry was reported to be weighing options, with running mate Sen. John Edwards counseling Kerry to fight on until all of Ohio's votes were counted — which might not happen for almost two weeks.

Yet, it wasn't clear whether the Kerry campaign was willing to hold out for weeks. On Wednesday morning, his top advisers met to discuss whether to fight on or concede. The aides planned at least one other session before taking their recommendation to the senator, according to several officials involved in the deliberations.

The Kerry campaign is "still examining" the results, spokesman David Wade said.

One senior Democrat familiar with the discussions said Edwards, a trial lawyer, wanted to make sure all options were explored and that Democrats pursued them as thoroughly as Republicans would if the positions were reversed.

Kerry’s campaign planned a statement by midday, his advisers said. Two of them, speaking on condition of anonymity, said concession seemed simply a matter of time after one last look for uncounted ballots that might close the 136,000-vote advantage Bush held in Ohio.

Card claims victory
    Earlier, White House chief of staff Andrew Card showed up unexpectedly at a gathering of Bush supporters in Washington shortly before 6 a.m. ET to declare “the president of the United States has won the state of Ohio. He said the numbers added up to a "convincing Electoral College victory.”

MSNBC COMPLETE ELECTION COVERAGE
    • INTERACTIVE MAP: You allocate the electoral votes
    • MAKING YOUR VOTE COUNT: Track any voting problems
    • ELECTION TICKTOCK: Blogging the vote, minute by minute
    • SLIDESHOW: Election Day around the country
    • SLIDESHOW: See and hear what the candidates said today
    • VIDEO: Top election videos of the day
    • DEMOCRACY PLAZA: Celebrating democracy
    • FULL COVERAGE

Unlike the 2000 election, Bush carried the popular vote. With 98 percent of precincts reporting nationwide, the president was polling 51 percent to Kerry’s 48 percent.

Card added that Bush would make a statement later Wednesday. The president delayed a victory speech to “give Senator Kerry the respect of more time to reflect on the results of this election,” he said.

That was preceded by a statement from Edwards, who asserted that the Kerry campaign was conceding nothing. “We will fight for every vote,” he told cheering supporters in Boston. “We’ve waited four years for this victory. We can wait one more night.”
    Last edited by 919191; 11-03-2004 at 11:33 AM.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I don't blame him. CBS and CNN still won't give Ohio to Bush. Many times things become clearer with the light of day. I would imagne that was the case with the Kerry camp.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?