Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Re: Your Official 2004 Election Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Red Leader -

why are posting here but not in the Thread??
    Sorry. I have limited time to redszone today. I can basically only check in about once every 20-30 minutes or so and for a brief time. So, I figured I'd be able to keep up with this thread better than "our" thread.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Early Exit
    A squeaker!
    By Jack Shafer
    Updated Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2004, at 12:34 PM PT

The first wave of exit-poll data reaching my desk comes from a variety of sources. In some states the sources disagree about the specific margin by which a candidate leads, but never about which candidate is out in front. Some of the confusion may stem from the mixing of morning exit-poll numbers with early afternoon numbers. With those provisos and the understanding that the early numbers are predictive of nothing without their accompanying computer model, here's what I've heard:

Florida
    Kerry 50
    Bush 49

Ohio
    Kerry 50
    Bush 49

Michigan
    Kerry 51
    Bush 47

Minnesota
    Kerry 58
    Bush 40

Nevada
    Kerry 48
    Bush 50

New Mexico
    Kerry 50
    Bush 48

North Carolina
    Kerry 49
    Bush 51

Colorado
    Kerry 46
    Bush 53

Other exit-poll results have arrived in more vague form, with Kerry leading Bush in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and New Hampshire but trailing him in Arizona and Louisiana.

For an explanation of why Slate is posting exit-poll numbers, see the previous post, below. ... 12:15 p.m. PT

http://www.slate.com/id/2109053/
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I'm surprised to see North Carolina in play like that, Nevada too. Those two had been seen as solid red states in recent weeks.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

If Kerry ends up winning Minnesota by 18 points I'll become a Cubs fan. I wouldn't trust any of those numbers.

Just to refresh my memory, but what is the percent before there is an automatic recount? I think in Florida last year it had to be less than 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    If Kerry ends up winning Minnesota by 18 points I'll become a Cubs fan. I wouldn't trust any of those numbers.
    Bingo.

Also from Drudge:

shows Kerry in striking distance -- with small 1% lead -- in Florida and Ohio, sources tell DRUDGE... [But early 2000 exit polls showed Gore +3 in Florida; showed Gore-Bush even in CO [Bush won by 9], exits showed Gore +4 in AZ [Bush won by 6]...
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Just to refresh my memory, but what is the percent before there is an automatic recount? I think in Florida last year it had to be less than 1.
    Each state has different rules on that. Generally speaking in an election this large you'd be within 0.1% if you want to get anything overturned.

I think Ohio's is 1/4 of 1% of the total vote to have a recount. Not sure, but I thought I remembered hearing that.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Why is it considered intimidation if a poll worker asks for ID?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Why is it considered intimidation if a poll worker asks for ID?
    Regardless of whether it's a good idea to see some form of ID, have you ever been asked to show it at a polling site? In 20 years of voting no one's ever made that request to me.

So why should someone else be required to do something that I'm not?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Regardless of whether it's a good idea to see some form of ID, have you ever been asked to show it at a polling site? In 20 years of voting no one's ever made that request to me.

So why should someone else be required to do something that I'm not?

It's the law here in Georgia to show ID at the polling place.

I'll see if I can find the list of acceptable ID. I do know that my dad has used his concealed weapon ID before.

EDIT

Here's the list:

You will be required to present identification at your polling place prior to casting your ballot. There are 17 acceptable types including:

a valid Georgia driver's license
    a valid identification card issued by a branch, department, agency, or entity of the State of Georgia, any other state, or the United States authorized by law to issue personal identification
    a valid U.S. passport
    a valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the elector and issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the United States government, this state, or any county, municipality, board, authority, or other entity of this state
    a valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the elector and issued by any employer of the elector in the ordinary course of such employer's business
    a valid student identification card containing a photograph of the elector from any public or private college, university, or postgraduate technical or professional school located within the state of Georgia
    a valid Georgia license to carry a pistol or revolver
    a valid pilot's license issued by the Federal Aviation Administration or other authorized agency of the United States
    a valid United States military identification card
    a certified copy of the elector's birth certificate
    a valid social security card
    certified naturalization documentation
    or a certified copy of court records showing adoption, name, or sex change
    a copy of a utility bill
    a bank statement (will be kept confidential)
    a government check or payment with name and address
    a government document that shows the name and address of the elector
    Last edited by Raisor; 11-02-2004 at 04:28 PM.

I don't know how every state doen't require ID. I have voted absentee most of my life, but in KY and IL you have to show ID to get the absentee ballot.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Stood in line 3 hours here in Union Co. NC to vote this morning.

Randy,

Saw a report up here that John Edwards is working NC in a frenzy today. Certainly some of the early exit polls are putting your state a lot closer than anyone thought it would be. Has he been all over the local news?

M2,

Not to speak for Randy, but I'm also in NC and I haven't seen Edwards on the news a lot in the triangle area (though I've been watching CNN today). What I did see when I went to vote was a ton of college aged types voting. I think maybe that explains some of the exit polls.

Turn Off Ads?