Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pope John Paul II dead

Pope John Paul II dead

Powered by

SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close

Vatican source: Pope given last rites

Ailing pontiff suffers from high fever with urinary tract infection

VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thursday night as his health deteriorated, a Vatican source has told CNN.

The sacrament does not necessarily mean that the pope is dying. Last rites -- also known as the sacrament of anointing the sick -- are commonly given to people who are seriously ill as well. The pope received the sacrament after he was shot by a would-be assassin in 1981.

The pope is suffering from a high fever caused by a urinary tract infection, the Vatican confirmed earlier Thursday -- one day after revealing he had been put on a nasal feeding tube for nutrition.

The pope is taking antibiotics, a Vatican spokesman said.

Medical sources at Gemelli Hospital in Rome, where the pope has been hospitalized twice since February, told CNN that no provisions are being made for the pope to be readmitted for treatment.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said in a statement released Wednesday: "To improve his calorific intake and promote an efficient recovery of his strength, nutrition via the positioning of a nasal-gastric tube has begun."

The pope underwent a tracheotomy February 24 and still has a tube inserted in his windpipe to help his breathing.

Earlier Wednesday, the pope appeared at his studio window and blessed the thousands of faithful in St. Peter's Square.

He appeared alert during the four-minute appearance, which drew cheers from the crowd gathered beneath his window.

He raised his hand in blessing and made the sign of the cross as a Vatican official read greetings and prayers.

A microphone was raised to his face as he tried to speak, but the words were not clear.

The pope has spent a total of 28 days in two stints at Gemelli hospital in Rome in the past two months.

Nicola Cerbino, a spokesman at the hospital, said Wednesday that there was no plan to hospitalize the pope.

On Monday the pope skipped the post-Easter Angelus prayer for the first time in his 26-year papacy.

The 84-year-old pope suffers from a number of chronic illnesses, including crippling hip and knee ailments, and Parkinson's disease, a progressive neurological disorder that can make breathing difficult.

Throughout his various illnesses and brushes with death, even after the assassination attempt, the pope always said his life was in God's hands.

CNN's Alessio Vinci contributed to this report.

Copyright 2005 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...pe1/index.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Vatican source: Pope given last rites

Heard elsewhere that Vatican police have blocked off access to the Vatican.
    /r/reds

May God bless Pope JP II. My prayers are with him.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

As a catholic, this is very sad.. But I also think it will be very interesting to see how things transpire when a pope dies.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    As a catholic, this is very sad.. But I also think it will be very interesting to see how things transpire when a pope dies.
    Read Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons," the prelude to "DaVinci Code." Great book and it does as good a job as any describing the process of electing a new pope. The world's Cardinals are actually locked in the Sistine Chapel until a unanimous decision is made.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

You're too young to remember, but I've seen it happen twice. There is no entity that keeps its cards closer to the vest (vestments?) than a papal conclave. You'd be more likely to figure out Dan O'Brien's personnel master plan than figure out who the college of cardinals will choose.
    /r/reds

when was the last time we lost a pope? I certainly dont remember it, maybe I wasnt born yet, was it before '81?

here's a list for last 200 years

1978 was a crazy year for popes.

# Pius VII, 1800-23
    # Leo XII, 1823-29
    # Pius VIII, 1829-30
    # Gregory XVI, 1831-46
    # Pius IX, 1846-78
    # Leo XIII, 1878-1903
    # St. Pius X, 1903-14
    # Benedict XV, 1914-22
    # Pius XI, 1922-1939
    # Pius XII, 1939-1958
    # John XXIII, 1958-1963
    # Paul VI, 1963-1978
    # John Paul I, 1978
    # John Paul II, 1978

Im actually looking forward to this. And I dont feel bad saying it, because I dont really see this as a tragedy. Pope JPII's time has come, and I think that is pretty much accepted. Historical events always peak my interest, and since this is something I have never experienced before, I am kind of excited for it.

Sad news
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    1978 was a crazy year for popes.

# Paul VI, 1963-1978
    # John Paul I, 1978
    # John Paul II, 1978
    I remember it well. I am not Catholic, but it was big news to me (and millions of others) when Pope Paul VI passed away. I was 12-years-old and it really caught my interest. I can remember watching the chimney at the Vatican to see if a certain color of smoke came out of it (which meant that they had selected the next Pope). And then Pope John Paul I died in his sleep about 39 days after that! So the process happened all over again. IIRC it was during the summertime. And this was when we only had 4 channels on TV (incl. PBS!). Amazing when we think how much technology (and many other things) has changed since the last time a Pope was elected by the Cardinals.

For anyone who hasn't had the chance, you should read up on Pope John Paul II. He was a truly amazing man. His life before being named Pope is a pretty good story. Living in Poland during Nazi occupation, the death of his older brother who he idolized, etc. The man was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I remember it well. I am not Catholic, but it was big news to me (and millions of others) when Pope Paul VI passed away. I was 12-years-old and it really caught my interest. I can remember watching the chimney at the Vatican to see if a certain color of smoke came out of it (which meant that they had selected the next Pope). And then Pope John Paul I died in his sleep about 39 days after that! So the process happened all over again. IIRC it was during the summertime. And this was when we only had 4 channels on TV (incl. PBS!). Amazing when we think how much technology (and many other things) has changed since the last time a Pope was elected by the Cardinals.
    I remember when Paul VI and JP I passed. IIRC, John XXIII passed right about the time I was born. In 1978 they didn't have 24 hour news channels covering this stuff so I don't think they had the analysis that I'm sure they will have now. When JP II does pass, it's going to be very interesting to see what happens. I'm not Catholic but I think JP II is a great man and seems very down to earth. Whoever follows him is going to have very large shoes to fill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Glenn Braggs

Im actually looking forward to this. And I dont feel bad saying it, because I dont really see this as a tragedy. Pope JPII's time has come, and I think that is pretty much accepted. Historical events always peak my interest, and since this is something I have never experienced before, I am kind of excited for it.
    I guess you'll also be "excited" when a close member of your family dies, as it will be a historical moment in your life which you have not yet experienced before. Maybe your friends will be excited then as well, to see how you react and how life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Thunder
    I guess you'll also be "excited" when a close member of your family dies, as it will be a historical moment in your life which you have not yet experienced before. Maybe your friends will be excited then as well, to see how you react and how life goes on.
    Yeah, sorry, I didnt know the pope was your dad.

grow up. Try reading my other post before getting your panties in a tangle. I allready said this is very sad. But it is also inevitible.

For the record, I have experienced loss, very close in my family. sudden and tragic loss. This is neither sudden, or tragic. Sure its sad, but its also a new beginning. quit being such a downer.
    Last edited by CbusRed; 04-01-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Glenn Braggs

Yeah, sorry, I didnt know the pope was your dad.

grow up. Try reading my other post before getting your panties in a tangle. I allready said this is very sad. But it is also inevitible.
    You need to grow up. Especially with your history to troll any political thread.

I have read all your posts in this thread but to me you still came across lacking sensibility.

Turn Off Ads?