Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Luke Hudson

Re: Luke Hudson

Hey I guess having a better than Maddix did doesn't mean anything but hey I can see he's got a better fastball too and you can't hit what you can't see.

Stop burying your heads in the sand he's cheaper than Mattix too. :dflynn:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lawless Fan
    Hey I guess having a better than Maddix did doesn't mean anything but hey I can see he's got a better fastball too and you can't hit what you can't see.

Stop burying your heads in the sand he's cheaper than Mattix too. :dflynn:

Personally, I hope they try to acquire Mannix--he'd know how to handle the opposition.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Once again, Hudson's "good" stats don't figure to be something repeatable. For reasons totally beyond his control Hudson's BA against should rise sharply next season. That will lead to more hits and a higher WHIP, feeding right into the very things he doesn't do well. That is the responsible way to look at his small sample size. It fits in with the larger sample size we have for the guy - career minor league ERA of 4.04 and not particularly hard to hit as a rule. That's what you get when you look at his results over the course of his career. You're suggesting people ignore 664 IP of mediocrity because you want to make a mountain out of 48.1 IP. Nonsense.
    But you want to ignore the fact he had surgery and had to learn how to pitch all over again. He is not the same pitcher he was before the injury. Back then he was a thrower that tried to throw as hard as he could with that 97 mph fastball. Now he is a pitcher this is shown by the fact he throws his fastball anywhere from 89mph to 96mph in on game and his speed doesn't drop off after a few innings. The games I seen him pitch in he was hitting low 90's in the first couple of innings and hitting 95-96 around the 5th. Now I am not saying he will be a #1 starter but I disagree that he is a bad pitcher and has no upside. He is still getting his arm strength back for his surgery and should continue to learn how to pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Personally, I hope they try to acquire Mannix--he'd know how to handle the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    But you want to ignore the fact he had surgery and had to learn how to pitch all over again. He is not the same pitcher he was before the injury. Back then he was a thrower that tried to throw as hard as he could with that 97 mph fastball. Now he is a pitcher this is shown by the fact he throws his fastball anywhere from 89mph to 96mph in on game and his speed doesn't drop off after a few innings. The games I seen him pitch in he was hitting low 90's in the first couple of innings and hitting 95-96 around the 5th. Now I am not saying he will be a #1 starter but I disagree that he is a bad pitcher and has no upside. He is still getting his arm strength back for his surgery and should continue to learn how to pitch.
    Learning how to pitch, huh? He threw overhand, right? Stood on a mound? Tried to place it within a small zone 60 feet and six inches away?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Hudson hasn't picked up a new pitch since returning. So it's the same game with the same repertoire for him.

What you've got here is a rationalization, an anecdotal mess, a desperate attempt to ignore the stronger pile of evidence which would lead you down a different alley.

Is it possible that Luke Hudson could become a good pitcher year-in, year-out? Yes. Does he have some upside? Yes. But he's never been a good pitcher year-in, year-out and, here's the important part, he's going to have to improve quite a bit over the guy we saw on the mound last year to do it. If Hudson goes out and does the same thing again, pitches the same way, the overwhelming likelihood is that his numbers will go into radical decline. Your fervent wish to the contrary isn't going to change that. I should copyright that line, as I seem to say it every offseason to folks who are incredulous over my open distaste for the latest Great Red Hope.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Gotta say, I don't hold out a whole lotta hope that Hudson is going to be an above average starting pitcher either. I was kinda hoping they were shining him up to trade him for better options. I've always thought of him as a reliever. I will say, he did better than I suspected he would this time.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Turn Off Ads?