Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Five Least Favorite Reds Of All Time

Re: Five Least Favorite Reds Of All Time

Tucker, Dibble, Hamilton, Haynes, Tomko, Estes
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

#1 Bob Boone-worst manager ever
    #2 Ron Oester-never had a meaningful RBI in his career (except 1 in '90 WS), few errors because he reached so few balls, always chickened out on DPs
    #3 Aaron Boone-nothin' worse than a 25 HR guy who thinks he's a 40 HR guy,used profanity to fans with kids standing nearby
    #4 Mike LaCoss-one hit wonder, pain afterward
    #5 Danny Graves-"that's the way this game is..."
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    I don't care how frustrated he was, you don't quit on your team. I was a 13 year old kid in 1977, and remember well the 5-5 record with a 5.30+ ERA (unheard of in that era) Fryman posted. He had been yanked from the rotation, and decided to tend to his tobacco crop in Ewing, KY. It is a painful memory that we traded a HOF'er and the heart & soul of our team for a pitcher with a career losing record and a quitter to boot.
    I agree with you. For that reason Fryman is atop my list along with Bobby Tolan and Dick Wagner for destroying the BRM.

Fryman was pretty much done when he got here, 37 years old and he topped 100 innings once more in his career, hardly his fault in 77. His walk rate had started to get out of control and was really bad with the Reds.

But color me biased, in 1972 he was traded to the Tigers and went 10-3 with 6 complete games and helped them win the AL East.

1. Jim Kern
    2. Leon Durham
    3. Tim Leary
    4. Danny Graves
    5. Brad Gulden

Least favorite minor-leaguer -- Drew Henson

Least favorite manager:
    1. Vern Rapp
    2. Bob Boone

Least favorite person ever associated with the Reds -- Dick Wagner

Here's my list:

1. Aaron Boone...never liked the guy for some reason

2. Reese...mouth drove me crazy

3. Sanders....just because he is Deon

4. Larue.

5. JIMMY ANDERSON...can't believe he didn't make anyones list.

My list is:
    1)Bill DeWitt...for being the GM that traded Frank Robinson because he was "old." Ruined my childhood.
    2)Xavier Hernandez...the worst pitcher in memory. He could blow a lead EVERY TIME!
    3)Vince Coleman...what a waste.
    4)Danny Graves...the worst pitcher in memory. He could blow a lead EVERY TIME! Oh, yeah, that was Xavier.
    5)Dante Bichette...great hitter,,,in Colorado.

Bipster29

This is somewhat redundant I guess since so many people have mentioned these guys, but here goes:

Jimmy Haynes - Here's a guy who has good AAA stuff and terrible MLB stuff. Yet, the Reds make him their Opening Day starter. What else could have happened except a disaster? One fluke season does not change the fact that he is absolutely mediocre. I would much rather take a chance on an unproven rookie than a pure stiff.

Jim Kern - Jerk. If you don't like playing in Cincinnati, it's because the fans have turned on you for being a jerk.

Alex Trevino - To me, Trevino was the only supposedly talented player we received in turn for dumping our entire starting OF after the 1981 season. In reality, he probably had no chance to be successful on that team, but his skills were poor and the fans hated him. He was no Bench, but heck, he wasn't even LaRue either.

Ron Oester - Someone with Oester's physical size and skills should surely have been able to get more out of himself right? Career high in doubles = 26, and career high in HR = 11. Don Gullett had a better swing than him.

Bob Buchanan - Couldn't break a pane of glass with his fastball, but he was ticked that he didn't get his call to the majors much earlier in his career. His stats when he finally did get to Cincinnati were 8.44 ERA with a 1.91 WHIP.

Personally, I doubt have too much of a problem with players who flop (Wille Greene was mentioned previously), I get more frustrated with players who give it away because of their attitude or inability to change (Kern/Oester) or who shouldn't have been in the bigs in the first place (Haynes, Trevino, and Buchanan).

My honorable mention is Hal Morris. My gut tells me he hit .300+ in the first five innings, when the Reds were up or down by 5 or more runs, or the pennant race was over. I bet he hit sub .200 after the sixth inning in close games. Exactly the opposite of Tony Perez.

Turn Off Ads?