Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Five Least Favorite Reds Of All Time

Re: Five Least Favorite Reds Of All Time

Originally posted by RedsBaron:

the guys who were half nuts such as Rob Dibble and Alex Johnson.
    I believe that those two guys would qualify for the "full fledged" nut category, RedsBaron.
    :gac:

Johnson was one of the all time bad characters in the game.

St Louis Cardinals publicity director, Jim Toomey, in a phone call to beat writer Earl Lawson upon learning that Alex Johnson had just been traded from the Cardinals to the Reds:

Earl, I just want to warn you that when Alex Johnson says "Mother," he has just exhausted half of his vocabulary.

Lawson later learned that Toomey hadn't been kidding.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 11-27-2004 at 09:15 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I believe that those two guys would qualify for the "full fledged" nut category, RedsBaron.
    :gac:

Johnson was one of the all time bad characters in the game.

St Louis Cardinals publicity director, Jim Toomey, in a phone call to beat writer Earl Lawson upon learning that Alex Johnson had just been traded from the Cardinals to the Reds:

Earl, I just want to warn you that when Alex Johnson says "Mother," he has just exhausted half of his vocabulary.

Lawson later learned that Toomey hadn't been kidding.
    Good point.
    I too had read the quote about Johnson's vocabulary.
    My favorite Johnson story, which I believe that I have posted before, occurred in the 1969 season. As was his custom, Johnson dropped a flyball in leftfield, but, before it hit the ground, centerfielder Pete Rose (yes, centerfielder) grabbed it for the out. About one week later Johnson dropped another flyball which did hit the ground for an error. Johnson promptly yelled to Rose: "Where were you?"
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    I keep hearing people bash Dante. What a good guy. He took me to dinner in St. Louis one time. We had a blast and I returned the favor when we returned to Cincy. His kids are really big into Tennis. Granted he was a poor outfielder in his later years, he had a phenomenal arm and he could hit.
    He could hit. Unfortunately he couldn't hit for the Reds. That combined with his lack of svelteness and poor OF play while he was here are probably the reason many Reds fans don't like him. But it's nice to hear he's a good guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Good point.
    I too had read the quote about Johnson's vocabulary.
    My favorite Johnson story, which I believe that I have posted before, occurred in the 1969 season. As was his custom, Johnson dropped a flyball in leftfield, but, before it hit the ground, centerfielder Pete Rose (yes, centerfielder) grabbed it for the out. About one week later Johnson dropped another flyball which did hit the ground for an error. Johnson promptly yelled to Rose: "Where were you?"
    I love Alex Johnson stories. There was the one where Johnson's homerun total had eclipsed his last season's total early in the 1968 season. A Philadelphia sportswriter posed the question, "Alex, you hit only two homers last season. You already have seven this season. What's the difference?"

Johnson, seemingly amused by his answer replied without the slightest trace of a smile, "Five."

Another was when Alex had a big day at the plate on Mother's Day of 1969, Earl Lawson asked him if the big day at the plate had been a Mother's Day gift for his wife.

Johnson scowled and said, "She aint no mother. We ain't got no children."

Once Alex dropped a couple of fly balls one afternoon. After the game Bristol took his glove (which was a ragged old floopy piece of crap) and tossed in the trash.

"You'll never use this piece of crap ion a game I manage again" said Bristol.

The next day Alex took the field in a brand new glove that he bought the night before, except he didn't try to work the thing in at all, Instead he ripped the price tag off and wore it out, stiff as a board.

Nuxhall (who told the story at SABR) said that everytime the ball was hit to Alex it sounded like someone was slapping a board against a wall as the ball it the stiff leather glove.

I would like to add Dennis Rasmussen to this list.

Was traded from the Yankees in late 1987 for Bill Gullickson (never understood why a badly needed starter was traded for another starter...maybe it had something to do with BG impending FA)

He pitched good in his last 5 or 6 starts for Cincy that year.

He goes into the tank in early 1988.......then gets traded to SD in the middle of June and goes 13-3 or something like that. In fact in his last start for the Reds he faced the Dodgers and gave up 6 runs on 8 hits in 1.1 innings.

Then in his 1st start with SD he beats them easily!

It was like Woodie Fryman Part II.

When was Chris Brown ever a Red anyways?
    During ST?

He has a lot more guts now i guess.... i read that ESPN story where he drives and works in Iraq now.

Another Alex Johnson story. It was reported that while here, he was kept halfway in line by Pete Rose and Tommy Helms. Later, after apparently wearing out his welcome with the Angels, Milwaukee GM Frank Lane asked former Red's and then Brewer manager Dave Bristol if he had interest in acquiring Alex. "Not unless you can get Rose and Helms too" Bristol replied.

Funny but not unexpected I guess, to note that a few players listed as "least favorite" were some of my most favored. Dante Bichette, Steve Parris, Bruce Berenyi (like me, a Pepsi freak) and especially Paul O'Neill.
    Last edited by GradyHatton; 11-27-2004 at 02:11 PM.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Yes I did have credentials for several years. What a true joy. I played Minor League ball and coached in the minors as well. I have a unique perspective from both sides of the coin.

1. Pokey Reese - A me-first whining quitter. After that, things rapidly go downhill.
    2. Brian Hunter - First he charges Scott Sullivan and rightly gets his ass pounded deep into the infield grass, then he becomes a Red and wears Eric Davis's hallowed #44. Oh, and he still hadn't served his suspension.
    3. Jimmy Haynes - First you suck for a decade and hit the lottery, then you come to camp fat. Unless DanO starts signing aces, cutting you will forever be remembered as his shining moment.
    4. Ray Knight - Pete Rose plays third. Who's that guy?
    5. Danny Graves - He *****es about the fans, *****es about the press, *****es about trades, *****es about starting, *****es when he doesn't get innings, blows saves like they're dandelions, and still finds time to cash the checks.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Whoops. Looks like TV-safe words aren't kosher. My apologies. :gac:
    Makes all the routine posts.

When has Graves *****ed about any of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    ...Dennis Rasmussen...He goes into the tank in early 1988.......then gets traded to SD in the middle of June and goes 13-3 or something like that...
    Hardcore fans like me remember Johnny Bench bragging about advising Rasmussen about a change in his mechanics just before he was traded and hit his hot streak.

Anyhoo....five more who deserve mention.

Jerry Reuss

Gino Minutelli

Joe Hoerner

Rich Hinton

Rick Krivda

Clemson

1 ron villone
    2 haynes
    3 chris hammond
    4 steve parris
    5 tomko

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:29 AM.

I did not know that about Rasmussen. Why didn't Johnny do this before he left?

Somehow though....as much as i love Bench....i doubt this. I mean....Charlie Liebrandt said that he was the reason he tanked so bad in Cincy.

Why the hate for Parker and Pinson and Blackwell...GaRed?

Just curious since those 3 were pretty good in their time with the Reds.
    Pinson was known as a really nice man also....unless your name is Earl Lawson.

Turn Off Ads?