Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Wilson

Reds and Wilson may be close to a deal

According to Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News the Reds are close to resigning Paul Wilson to a 2 year deal. Here is the link:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3205406

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds and Wilson may be close to a deal

I'll reserve judgement until I see the final dollar amount.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

According to the story the dollar amount would be about 7 million for 2 years

Jimmah
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Jimmah
    Jimmah? .....Timm-uh!!!!

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

:slap: :slap: :slap:

:cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Wilson for 3.5 isn't sooooooooo bad, nor sooooooooo good. what's bad is that he'll be slotted number one in salary and in performance, then they'll eschew any attempt to pay a power pitcher if one becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    then they'll eschew any attempt to pay a power pitcher if one becomes available.
    IMO, that's sooooooooooo bad.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The only good news is that it's not a three year deal.

Still..blah.

Think the Reds should make a run at Matt Morris? Apparently he's after a 1 year incentive laden deal after undergoing some labrum cleanup to re-establish his market value.

I'm not sure what kind of $$$$ Morris would be looking for on a 1 year deal, though. Most likely more than he's worth semi-injured. I would think $4.5 with bonuses for IP, All-Star, Cy Young votes, etc should get it done.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

3.5 mill a year for Wilson, I can live with that. He made that much last year so it doesn't hurt the Reds payroll. Maybe my math is wrong but Dunn is the only one due for a big raise, Larue is signed (right?), and DJ may get a million dollar raise, So doesn't that mean when everyone that is on the roster now is taken care of the Reds Payroll will be around 45-48 million. If the payroll is suppose to go up to that 55 million range the Reds should still have 7-10 million to get a pitcher and maybe some help for the bullpen.

It's the pitcher who's better than Wilson that you can't sign and desperately need that makes this a sin.

The other thing is Wilson's doing all he can to be below average. If he slumps a little bit or his stuff goes downhill even a fraction, the results will be hideous.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If they still go out and get one or two more starters (better than Wilson so that Wilson slides down to number 3 in the rotation) plus some bullpen help I say Bully!!

If this precludes them in any way from going out and getting better pitchers than Wilson then I say big mistake.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Will the $3.5mil/yr prohibit additional signings?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    Will the $3.5mil/yr prohibit additional signings?
    Impossible to tell yet - the Reds haven't let anyone know what their salary budget will be, but knowing Allen 3.5 million to anyone will prohibit other signings on some level, I would guess.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?